daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3081
piotr71

As we all know there is plenty of auxiliary text signs in the UK. In my opinion they work rather well. They are usually clear and not overloaded with information. Among all different sorts of text signs there are two which put smile on my face. It is: Please drive carefully through our village. on the village's entrance and Thanks for careful driving in our village on the exit, off course. If the massage of the first one is perfectly clear, the second one seems to be kind of unfinished and slightly ambiguous. It always makes me feel free not obey the rules and become careless (I do not do that, though )
And then, I noticed something ingenious in a village I passed some time ago. They added something like this:
Please still drive carefully.

Today I drove on A34. There is an old trailer there, parked in a lay-by, covered with plenty of text in several languages. The main, typed in English in bold inscription says:
Beware, lorry thieves work in this area. When I saw it, I thought to myself: well, if they work do they pay income tax?

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #3082
piotr71

Cobham services.

http://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Cobham
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3083
Lijman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Last edited by Lijman; December 1st, 2013 at 04:16 PM.
Lijman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3084
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Probably too many junctions. It goes through the Medway urban area, and therefore functions as a expressway.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #3085
sotonsi

It avoids the Medway urban area - the M2 bypasses that. While it does have a few too many junctions, that is not a barrier to motorway status - there's no minimum standard for a motorway in the UK (though there are descriptive standards).

It's not a motorway due to not having a special roads order - simple as that. It doesn't have one of them for a few reasons - it's a online upgrade of an existing right-of-way, making it a special road would remove the right of way so a parallel road providing those accesses (and perhaps closing a couple of those junctions on the mainline while you are doing it). Far easier to work the other way, and ban unwanted traffic like pedestrians, cyclists and farm traffic.

Of course, they could have done all the expensive legal stuff and parallel road when widening to D4, but they didn't.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3086
piotr71

A12 Chelmsford by-pass, road which would benefit with new surface.

Old September 28th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #3087
Road_UK
BANNED

I know, but they will soon. They haven't finished between Colchester and Ipswich yet, which used to be really bad as well.
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #3088
IndigoJo

Likes (Received): 2

Funny sign on the old A30

I was coming back from Salisbury on the old A30 the other day, and I saw this sign facing drivers going the other way just west of the Micheldever Station junction:

image hosted on flickr

Sign on the old A30, Hampshire by Indigo Jo, on Flickr

This is now an unclassified road (or at least a C-road), the A30 having been re-routed up from Sutton Scotney (about 4 miles west) along the old A34 up to the A34/A303 junction, yet it has distances to primary route destinations nearly 70 miles away. They clearly put this up some time after this ceased being the A30 as there is no route number showing - perhaps someone decided to replace the old primary route sign with an equivalent, numberless sign. When you get onto the A30 at Sutton Scotney, the only towns you'll see signposted are Stockbridge and Salisbury.

Also, if you're really going to Dorchester, this is the last sign for it you'll see until you get to Blandford. For some bizarre reason, the major towns at each end of the Salisbury-Dorchester bit of the A354 aren't signposted (even on distance signs), only Blandford is, and Blandford is tiny.
IndigoJo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3089
Road_UK
BANNED

That brings back memories. My granddad, who died 5 years ago lived in Weymouth, and I went to visit him a lot. Love it down there...
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3090
Road_UK
BANNED

From the historical photo thread:
(I can sort of see where this is going)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsteve View Post
Lots of reasons, but basically all boils down to us being a retarded nation that somehow thinks a country can remain highly developed without continued investment in infrastructure.

The motorway near me was first planned in the 1930s, but not as a motorway, just as a high standard divided highway with at-grade junctions. Unfortunately, the eastern section of the road was open or under construction at the time they decided the new road should be a motorway as late as 1968. The sections that were planned, built and opened as motorway have required little improvement over the years, as they were built properly in the first place. However, the sections that were built before this decision was made, and at a time when the planners did not seem to know what they wanted, required upgrading shortly after opening, and after all that extra investment remain the worst parts of the road and still non-motorway. The non-motorway part of the road is probably about 8km in length. One section opened in 1965, then another bit opened in 1968, and another bit opened in 1970. Then in 1973 they grade separated a junction linking the 1968 and 1970 built sections, in 1979 the junction linking the 1965 and 1968 built sections got grade separated, and in 1980 the 1968 and 1970 built sections were widened by 50-100%. Then in 1985 a junction on the 1965 built section was grade separated. The end result was around 17 years of almost continuous roadworks on a brand new road so that improvements could take place. Meanwhile, the bits that opened as motorway as early as 1975 are perfectly fine to this day.

The moral of the story is to design and build the road properly in the first place, to build the road to a high enough standard at the start rather than building a road that, as a result of cheap, low standard design, will become congested straight after opening.
Even today, the infrastructure in the UK is a lot to be desired for, even though widening takes place in the worst areas. But the M1 from London to Leeds passes through some of the major city's in the UK, making it a very busy motorway, with little alternatives. Also, the UK could be doing with more east-west links. North of London, there is not much choice, apart from a very busy dual carriageway called the A14, which functions as a trunk road for freight between the ports of Harwich and Felixstowe, and a even more busy M62, which almost guarantees congestion in the Leeds area. Traveling from Norfolk and Suffolk to Derbyshire is a major nightmare. You either have to drop down to the A14, which is a long way round, or use the same amount of time to put up with single carriageways and roundabouts.
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #3091
piotr71

Top bosses back private toll roads: Pay-as-you-drive can cut congestion says CBI

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3092
Road_UK
BANNED

The public won't buy it. Remember the fuel blockades back in 2000?
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3093
piotr71

I am just wondering how they are going to cut the congestion. I do not believe people will leave they cars home and start using another means of transport only because of implemented roads' charge. Some of them will use unpaid roads and some will not care about tolls. The amount of cars will not decrease, anyway.
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #3094
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Claiming that paying for a road means less congestion is fancy for "pricing the poor off the road".

It's not rocket science. If traffic congestion decreases due to tolls or charges, it means people who wanted to make that trip did not make the trip because they can't afford it.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3095
Road_UK
BANNED

Well, that's the ultimate goal in the UK and Netherlands anyway, isn't?
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #3096
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

There certainly does seem to be a consensus against large new roadbuilding schemes in the UK. There is not one single mainstream political party in favour of building new strategic routes to alleviate congestion (even during a time when the population is increasing at an unprecedented rate). Even now, with congestion on some routes starting to become the norm, a politician that put forward a material expansion of the existing network would be committing electoral suicide. So we're stuck with the stalemate.

How will this play out? In decades from now, you may well find that people organise their lives along lines that minimises the need to travel. As suggested above, it will almost certainly be the poor who start doing this first. It's going to get ugly, that's for sure.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #3097
UK86
UK86

Likes (Received): 32

Road improvements are being made in certain areas, but not enough is being done. At some point the government will have to bite the bullet and do something about it, people are not going to stop using their cars. They are dreaming if they think that's going to happen.
UK86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #3098
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Speaking of building new roads... How far are from constructing missing parts of SEMMS ?

I found an interesting document from 25.07.2012. Here is a summary
Quote:
This report provides an update on the progress of the A6 to Manchester Airport Relief
Road (the Scheme). The scheme is being funded by the Combined Authority from the
Greater Manchester Transport Fund (GMTF) with some additional third party
contributions. While the majority of the Scheme lies outside the City and there is no
direct City Council financial exposure to the scheme, the Department for Transport
requires formal confirmation from all three affected local highway authorities
(Manchester, Cheshire East and Stockport) that they support the proposals.
Executive approval is therefore sought to submit the business case to the Department
for Transport (DfT) in order that the Scheme can be granted programme entry status.
The report also updates members on proposals for consulting on the scheme. A
similar report has been presented to Stockport Council which has agreed to adopt
similar resolutions. Cheshire East Council is also expected to receive a similar report
shortly.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_do...MMS_report.pdf

So as far as I understand it, an extension from Hazel Grove to Bredbury(M60) isn't a part of this particular scheme ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #3099
PeakDistrictMotorway

Likes (Received): 14

The excuse given not to build more motorways is that they would be packed with cars straight away.

No s**t Sherlock. That is because these motorways should have been built donkeys years ago.

If High speed 2 has great patronage from the start it will no doubt be hailed as a success, and a reasoning to build more high speed lines, and rightly so.

Why is this logic not applied to motorways?

We NEED more motorways.

I NEED answers.

Last edited by PeakDistrictMotorway; October 11th, 2012 at 06:50 AM.
PeakDistrictMotorway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #3100
PeakDistrictMotorway

Likes (Received): 14

Can someone tell me why the German Autobahns are not accessible on google map?

I feel like I'm missing out.
PeakDistrictMotorway no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom