daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #301
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

That's exactly what i do not like about the 2x2 German autobahns without speed limits. If you want to drive 120/130 and overtake a truck, there is always some guy in a showoff BMW or Mercedes at your bumper, so close you can't read his license plate.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #302
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
There is no point being a rude or selfish driver, it rarely gains you anything and just makes all road-users more stressed, if people chilled out a bit when driving there would be fewer accidents and it would be more enjoyable.
Hey Jonesy...great post...and you should personally come down to Miami and lecture these reckless f**ks on how to drive, because you hit the nail right on the head.

It's called common sense and courtsey.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:51 AM   #303
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
That's exactly what i do not like about the 2x2 German autobahns without speed limits. If you want to drive 120/130 and overtake a truck, there is always some guy in a showoff BMW or Mercedes at your bumper, so close you can't read his license plate.
Ah...I love the autobahn......with a fast-ass car, it's heaven on earth in terms of driving experience.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #304
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

I agree with that. In germany on 2 lane roads theres one slow lane and one really fast... dangerous. and most are 2 lane.

i dont get this autobahn myth, they are just roads... yet theres some kind of aura about it. theres been more than one person who when ive mentioned ive driven a lot in germany they say 'oh youve been on the autobahns that must be amazing'. 'errr well no its just a road, pretty must standard and with alot of roadworks and traffic like the uk'. they are so dissapointed.
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #305
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, i don't get the fuss about Autobahns either. Exits and junctions for instance, are pretty substandard.

In my opinion, all 2x2 autobahns with traffic volume of 50,000 or more should be limited to 130km/h.
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #306
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

I SSOOO miss driving on the UK motorways. As others have said. People are curteous. They Merge nicely. Most keep left, or at least move over for you. No weaving with the overtake on right only rule.
Australia is the opposite. Peoples idea of merging onto the motorway is drive with your eyes closed and everyone else be damned. Lane Discipline is non existant. It is not uncommon to be stuck behind three cars all doing to the same speed next to each other for miles. Often the left lane will be close to empty 70% of cars in the middle the rest in the right, and nothing is going to move them. Puting your indicator on seems to signal the car in the lane next to you to speed up to stop you pulling over. Traffic lights often (mostly always) will have heavy trucks in all three lanes. Indicating means 2 flashes (starting as they already are turning or changing lanes).
IT DRIVES ME MAD.

EDIT: Oh ye, and in heavy traffic, if two lanes are merging into one everyone will wait till the last second possible and do their best to push one more car forward as if their life depended on it.

Last edited by scotdaliney; May 8th, 2008 at 02:09 PM.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #307
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Chair View Post
Driving in the UK, I remember that people were actually polite enough to LET you merge safely, unlike here where they'll speed up to prevent you from merging safely (which isn't good on a merge lane no longer than my friggin' right leg!). It's interesting that NZ is the same, but their highways look very similar to US highways (aside from the driving on the left thing).

On expressways here, you have people doing 40mph in one lane, 90mph in the other (this can be the lane to your left or to your right). Personally, I think it's very dangerous and leads to many accidents. In the UK, people generally drive at far more consistent speeds (even if everyone is consistently speeding). Of course, you get the odd nutcase doing 120mph in his company car, but that's about it.

Britain may not have as many miles of motorway as other countries, but the motorways are up to pretty good standard. If you take a look at all of the expressways/highways here in South Florida, you’ll realize that despite the huge # of lanes, very few would be up to British motorway standards, if they were somehow transported over there and dumped in the middle of Bedfordshire.

Anyway, that’s my Sunday morning analysis of British motorways….feel free to agree/disagree.
I think that Florida freeways are very good. It was really pleasure to drive there (I just came back few days ago). We drove all the way from Pennsylvania to Florida and Florida has by far the best freeways of all states we drove. I-95 has three lanes, markings in pavements making driving at night easier, emergency phones every mile and so on. All these features are missing in other states(especially annoying is lack of these markers which helps to drive at night, for some reason they don't use reflecting paint either)
Also I-10, I-75 and I-4 where OK at lest in northern part of Florida.
But I agree that people in Britain drive generally better and safer even if faster. I hate in US drives overtaking while using cruise control. One is going 60 mph another one 61 and it takes them 15 minutes to overtake.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #308
UrbanQuest

Likes (Received): 0

My experience of driving on UK motorways has been fantastic. People drive like mature adults and in general are certainly very courteous (give or take a few). The roads signage is clear and well marked.

The one thing that can certainly be improved is that the motorway network can be expanded, especially in the west (Wales) and East (Norfolk). In fact I stayed at Norwich for a while and the biggest bane was that there was no motorway connection to a fairly large city.

All in all, the experience of driving on UK roads has been very very good. Coupled with a good public transport system, travelling in the UK is a breeze.
UrbanQuest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #309
Soul_13
Advocatus Diaboli

Likes (Received): 152

The British motorways are probably the best in Europe (along with the German), It's just laughable when someone calls a road with 2x2 lanes Motorway. The safety standards, the amount of 3 lanes motoways compared with the size of the county it's probably the top PLUS the all except one are TOLL FREE. When I drove to France and Italy last year the motorways seems so small and outdated comparing with UK.

Last edited by Soul_13; May 13th, 2008 at 12:27 PM.
Soul_13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #310
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Italy has a lot of substandard motorways indeed. I'm not too keen about German motorways, they do the job, but that's it. Designs are outdated.

One thing i really like about British motorways is that they're all 2x3 lanes. Most Turkish and Pakistani motorways have that too, probably inspired by the British ones.
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #311
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I don't see a reason for wasting money on a 6-lane motorway, when a 4-laned suffices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_13 View Post
It's just laughable when someone calls a road with 2x2 lanes Motorway.
The purpose of motorways is to be able to drive fast and overtake, which can also be accomplished on 4-lane motorways with not too heavy traffic.

Quote:
When I drove to France and Italy last year the motorways seems so small and outdated comparing with UK.
And which motorways did you use? They aren't all small and outdated.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #312
JMFA

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
The British motorways are probably the best in Europe (along with the German), It's just laughable when someone calls a road with 2x2 lanes Motorway. The safety standards, the amount of 3 lanes motoways compared with the size of the county it's probably the top PLUS the all except one are TOLL FREE. When I drove to France and Italy last year the motorways seems so small and outdated comparing with UK.
But there must be a reason for a road having 3+3 lanes and not 2+2.
In Portugal highways need to be 3+3 when traffic reaches 30.000 vehicles per day (both directions). and 4+4 when it reaches 65.000.
it has to do with service level and not just spending money...
Probably you´re talking about highways with a huge level of traffic!
JMFA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #313
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2x3 for 30,000 AADT is nonsense.

2x2 motorways can handle over 100,000 vehicles a day, however, it's better to widen from 70,000 / 80,000 AADT.
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #314
JMFA

Quote:
2x3 for 30,000 AADT is nonsense.

2x2 motorways can handle over 100,000 vehicles a day, however, it's better to widen from 70,000 / 80,000 AADT.
if you say so....havent you said that all should be 3+3???
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #315
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I said i liked that they're all 2x3. British traffic volumes are among the highest of Europe, and you'll need 2x3 or more then.
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #316
Soul_13
Advocatus Diaboli

Likes (Received): 152

I agree that when there is no enough trafic, there is no need for 3X2 motorways but on the other side there should be a terminology distinction between them, I think a 2x2 road should be called Expressway not a Motorway.
Soul_13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #317
JMFA

Quote:
I said i liked that they're all 2x3. British traffic volumes are among the highest of Europe, and you'll need 2x3 or more then.
Ok! i agree with that... i just cant believe that a highway 2+2, with a 100.000 vehicles per day (or even 70.000) can work properly...
But then again, i just told what are the portuguese standards for upgranding highways.. probably over there you use different standards.. or have more congestion roads...
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #318
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
It's just laughable when someone calls a road with 2x2 lanes Motorway.
That's not laughable. The concept of motorway requires nothing more than 4 lanes equally distributed over two carriageways. And that alone works fine. Any further lane is just added to improve capacity. So I don't see a reason why 4-lane motorways were laughable.
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #319
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20266

Quote:
French motorways are fine, the toll m-ways are usually free of congestion too whenever i've been on them. I haven't been on many in Italy but those I have were perfectly adequate for the traffic levels.

Not all British motorways are 2x3 either, the M54 between Wolverhampton and Telford for example is 2x2, it's not a problem though because it isn't heavily trafficked. England is small and densely populated, if anything we need more 2x4 roads in the busiest places but that wouldn't be appropriate for other places in the UK or in all other countries.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #320
Rijeka

Likes (Received): 0

I didn't drive much on British motorways, but what I saw (just around Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and York) did indeed remind me on German motorways. They are very good and free, like in Germany. Unlike the Italian and the French ones: they may be good, but theyr'e extremly expensive!
Rijeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom