daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2012, 12:36 AM   #3181
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

I am with sotonsi and geogregor when it comes to lane closures. I don't see a point in that. The problem comes not from the fact that the road is too wide, but from the fact that drivers have no lane discipline. Wider roads are always better and closing lanes is just a waste of resources.

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:57 AM   #3182
piotr71

I actually admitted, that it wouldn't be a point of doing that in Britain. However, there are some motorways' stretches, which are already prepared for such radical move and as I said earlier, what probably is not too important for England, Dutch close leftmost lane on their multi lane motorways for some reason.
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:16 AM   #3183
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The Dutch close some left lanes only because they are technically left shoulders which are only open during peak hours. This doesn't happen on other wide motorways.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 05:33 AM   #3184
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Great work Piotr. I grew up in Luton / London, but haven't been back in over a decade. The M1 is barely recognizable from how I remember it back in the day when my dad drove a Ford Cortina and Dire Straits were a regular mainstay on his cassette recorder. It looks like a totally different road. The US-style gantries are a huge improvement on those ugly British ones.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3185
piotr71

Man arrested after two die in high speed M1 crash

Quote:
A man has been arrested in connection with a fatal crash on the M1 near Watford this morning.

The 25-year-old from East London has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, Hertfordshire Constabulary confirmed this afternoon.
Watford Observer

Quote:
Quote:
He said: "It was total mayhem. There was mangled metal everywhere. It was foolish of them to drive at this sort of speed. It was raining as well."

Mr Nasir said that four men in a Mercedes arrived at the crash scene and scuffled with survivors.

He told the newspaper: "They all jumped out and everybody started punching each other. They said, 'What have you done? You have killed them.' I tried to break up the fight and called the police from my mobile."

The two men who died have not been named by police but were aged 22 and 24 and both from east London.
Mirror
Old December 5th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #3186
jsfox

Likes (Received): 1

Hello all, been lurking for a bit (quite a long bit actually)...

Can anyone tell me why Britain has such a low fatality rate compared to countries on the continent? I don't think it's because they drive slower (they don't). Roads don't seem better (or much better). Less drunk driving?
jsfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #3187
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfox View Post
Hello all, been lurking for a bit (quite a long bit actually)...

Can anyone tell me why Britain has such a low fatality rate compared to countries on the continent? I don't think it's because they drive slower (they don't). Roads don't seem better (or much better). Less drunk driving?
Respect and common courtesy for others. It's ingrained in the British psyche and that applies to the road too. Simple.

My Panoramio
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #3188
jsfox

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Respect and common courtesy for others. It's ingrained in the British psyche and that applies to the road too. Simple.
If that really is why, it is indeed simple. And so very very complicated - how do you get that in the U.S., Canada, Belgium?
jsfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3189
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The British Motorway turns 54 years today. The first motorway was the M6 around Preston, which opened 5 December 1958.

Extensive coverage of the first British motorway:
http://www.ciht.org.uk/motorway/m6preston.htm
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #3190
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19154

From the autumn statement:
"We’re committing an extra billion pounds to roads, including four major new schemes to: upgrade key sections of the A1, bringing the route from London to Newcastle up to motorway standard; link the A5 with the M1; dual the A30 in Cornwall; and upgrade the M25, which will support the biggest port developments in Europe, and I pay tribute to my HF for Thurrock for campaigning to achieve this."

Any more details? Are these projects ready to progress quickly now when funding is provided or there are still planning and other bureaucratic obstructions?
Which stretches of the A1 are they going to upgrade and when can we expect start of the works?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #3191
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

They've only just finished upgrading the A1 between Peterborough and Doncaster by removing those roundabouts, from Leeds to Scotch Corner large parts has also been upgraded. If they'd only shuffle between Baldock and Huntingdon, we'd have a road almost functional as a motorway all the way from M25 to Newcastle. Stamford could benefit from a little attention...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #3192
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
From the autumn statement:
"We’re committing an extra billion pounds to roads, including four major new schemes to: upgrade key sections of the A1, bringing the route from London to Newcastle up to motorway standard; link the A5 with the M1; dual the A30 in Cornwall; and upgrade the M25, which will support the biggest port developments in Europe, and I pay tribute to my HF for Thurrock for campaigning to achieve this."

Any more details? Are these projects ready to progress quickly now when funding is provided or there are still planning and other bureaucratic obstructions?
Which stretches of the A1 are they going to upgrade and when can we expect start of the works?
I note that a "billion" no longer means a "million million" over there....

Also, what's an HF?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3193
GeertjeC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I note that a "billion" no longer means a "million million" over there....

Also, what's an HF?
Honourable Friend. It's used by MPs to refer to fellow MPs (from the same party).

'Billion' very rarely means a million million these days, although some still say 'thousand million' rather than 'billion' to avoid any confusion.
GeertjeC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #3194
sotonsi

Quote:
These are schemes that are planned, but were shelved a couple of years ago due to the funding being moved elsewhere.

The A1 scheme is L2B (Leeming to Barton) - I wouldn't hold your breath as it's been approved and funded at least twice (killed in '97 and in '10).

The M1-A5 link road is the Dunstable northern bypass, which is an odd thing to build, as the case for it relied on lots of now scrapped development to the north of the town. Then again, it might mean that the A5 gets detrunked south of M1 J18, so saves central government's maintenance bill (Hockliffe and Towcester become unhappy).
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #3195
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeertjeC View Post
Honourable Friend. It's used by MPs to refer to fellow MPs (from the same party).

'Billion' very rarely means a million million these days, although some still say 'thousand million' rather than 'billion' to avoid any confusion.
I've heard "Honourable Friend," but never seen or heard it abbreviated. PM's Question Time actually used to be on TV here (on the Congressional cable channel, C-SPAN). He would have actually said the words, not the letters, I assume...? (Sorry, OT, but I'm a language nerd....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3196
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19154

Quote:
I've heard "Honourable Friend," but never seen or heard it abbreviated. PM's Question Time actually used to be on TV here (on the Congressional cable channel, C-SPAN). He would have actually said the words, not the letters, I assume...? (Sorry, OT, but I'm a language nerd....)
Yes he said the whole words, I don't think I ever heard abbreviated form in speech.
PM questions are fun to watch but my quote was actually from autumn statement by Chancellor of the Exchequer

I hope one day A1(M) will be motorway all the way from London to Edinburgh.
Maybe it would deserve new number then?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #3197
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Yes he said the whole words, I don't think I ever heard abbreviated form in speech.
PM questions are fun to watch but my quote was actually from autumn statement by Chancellor of the Exchequer
I know about the Autumn Statement; I've been watching BBC World News lately.

Quote:
I hope one day A1(M) will be motorway all the way from London to Edinburgh.
Maybe it would deserve new number then?
I was thinking it would deserve a new number once it's uninterrupted to Newcastle, let alone Edinburgh (not that anyone asked me...). But what appropriate number's available?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #3198
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Quote:
I know about the Autumn Statement; I've been watching BBC World News lately.

I was thinking it would deserve a new number once it's uninterrupted to Newcastle, let alone Edinburgh (not that anyone asked me...). But what appropriate number's available?
M7 is the only single digit number spare....and a motorway that would be the longest stretch of motorway in the UK would be more than worthy of a single digit number.

Or you could use the now defunct M10 if not fussed?

My Panoramio
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #3199
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Alternatively the stretch north of Leeds could just become the M1 (both motorways merge anyway). That would be worth doing if the entire route becomes motorway all the way to Newcastle and would make the most sense.

My Panoramio
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3200
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Alternatively the stretch north of Leeds could just become the M1 (both motorways merge anyway). That would be worth doing if the entire route becomes motorway all the way to Newcastle and would make the most sense.
You can't just cut the Great North Road into pieces and renumber parts of it. It's the A1 for reason after all.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom