daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2013, 02:34 AM   #3241
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Because when it turns A45 it goes right through the city and residential area's.
That should be no barrier to upgrade to M45. What about better/higher sound barriers?

With that type of logic why not downgrade M1, M40, M4, M11, M3, M23 inside of the M25 becuase it is in the built up area of London?
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #3242
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by essendon bombers View Post
That should be no barrier to upgrade to M45. What about better/higher sound barriers?
Where would you fit the barriers here?

And what purpose would such an M45 extension serve?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #3243
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Where would you fit the barriers here?

And what purpose would such an M45 extension serve?
Very simple. Right alongside these houses. And it would give the phrase blocking somebody's driveway an entire new meaning!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3244
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

If I was upgrading the A45 to M45 I would be doing a good quality upgrade including widening, grade seperation. I would want to provide more capacity on the road network for a densely populated, industrious and highly trafficked part of Britain. I would be taking out the row of houses anyway...

Yeah I know....more expensive, more controversial, brings out the local nimbys etc.

I would also include high standard connection with Birmingham Airport, M6T North Birmingham and incorporate upgrade of A46 East Coventry Bypass to M69.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #3245
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

There is no need for a M45 extension. M6 is sufficient enough, bypassing Coventry for long distance traffic. A45 is good enough for locals wanting to get to Birmingham or surrounding motorways fast.

Last edited by Road_UK; January 20th, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #3246
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

If someone who likes to play with mapping programs has nothing better to do, perhaps we could get some sort of map-based explanation of what this M45/A14/whatever debate is about?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3247
IndigoJo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Birmingham - Harwich is 185 miles vs 173 via Cambridge and Stansted and 179 for via Cambridge and IpswichGet a better sat nav?It is about 5 miles. However via Ipswich is all decent roads to Colchester, rather than the S2 bit of the A120. Google is suggesting no time difference. Certainly both routes are viable options, but obviously they would want you to take the higher capacity route via Ipswich at the moment - when they finish the A120, then we shall see about the via Stansted route being signed for Harwich.

The EU, with their Trans-European Network - Transport (TEN-T) system have the Harwich - Midlands traffic using either/both the A120 and the A14 to get between the port and Cambridge.
I'm guessing the sat-navs and online map apps (like AA Route Planner) take into account road quality and speed limit and offset these against distance. The shortest route is via Huntingdon and Stansted, but this includes the lowest quality roads (mostly dual carriageway with a bit of single carriageway); the recommended route is the longest but includes the most motorway and only one stopping point (M25 junction 28). The "official" route is slightly shorter, but includes (apart from the M6 to Catthorpe) no motorway at all and two stopping points.

Which type of vehicle you're driving will impact on which choice you make: a car can do 70mph on any dual carriageway (unless otherwise stated) or motorway, while van speed limits are reduced by 10mph (except on motorways) and trucks by 20mph and they can do 56mph max. So, the optimum route for the car may well be via Ipswich; for a van or truck, being able to drive faster on a motorway may make up for the slightly longer distance via the M25.
IndigoJo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3248
IndigoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There is no need for a M45 extension. M6 is sufficient enough, bypassing Coventry for long distance traffic. A45 is good enough for locals wanting to get to Birmingham or surrounding motorways fast.
Not only that, the M45 has not been part of the main route from London to Birmingham any time since the M6 was built. It is for Coventry only. It was never going to be more than a spur road from the M1. And just because the A45 goes east of Northampton does not mean that the M45 was ever going to go there; the A45 was a minor road from Northampton to St Neots and now it's a B-road anyway (coast-bound traffic used the A428 via Bedford until the A14 was opened).
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #3249
piotr71

What 10 cm of snow can do:

Quote:
Hundreds of drivers were stranded in their vehicles overnight as snow and sub-zero temperatures made many roads impassable. Motorists were stuck for hours in long holdups on the A23 in Kent and on the M23 in Sussex, as temperatures plummeted to -3C.
Quote:
The A23 between Crawley and Kent was at a standstill, along with the M23, A26, A27 and A29, after 10cm of snow fell. Areas around Dover and Folkestone were also badly hit, with delays on the M20 as lorries queued trying to get into the Channel Tunnel.

Read more here.
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #3250
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

10 cm of snow wasn't the problem, the high winds were a much larger problem. Northern France also dealt with this blizzard and had motorists stranded for hours on A1 Paris - Lille. There were very deep snow drifts.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3251
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

This is what I've seen from Eurostar yesterday morning It was brilliant idea to travel from London to Belgium by train instead of car.

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #3252
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Indeed, it has been very very windy
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #3253
Langeveldt

Likes (Received): 6

I had to travel from Switzerland to the UK through the worst of that storm in Northern Europe last night.. I have never seen conditions anywhere in the world like it..

After crawling through most of Belgium and northern France and witnessing a horrific accident on the A27 near Lille, we finally came to a halt and spent the night in the car on the A2 near Canterbury. We didn't move until 8.30 this morning..

The A2 was still covered in abandoned vehicles from Dover to beyond Canterbury by the time we got moving again..

The whole journey took me 26 hours.. It took me 19 hours to get from Lille to Bath

Langeveldt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #3254
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
This is what I've seen from Eurostar yesterday morning It was brilliant idea to travel from London to Belgium by train instead of car.
On Tuesday even Eurostar was suspended
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:02 PM   #3255
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Is it me or are these signs in Snowdonia blue? There are some other ones in the junctions nearby too.

They are on this stretch of road:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.745...42272&t=m&z=15
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:52 PM   #3256
sotonsi

just faded old green
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:33 PM   #3257
piotr71

Have you ever driven from Monmouth to Newport? I have and must say that this road is just incredible. It goes all the way uphill for about 20 miles. I do not know how high it is ranked in a longest dual carriageway's slopes rating, but I presume it would deserve good place in top ten if anything of this kind existed.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #3258
IndigoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Is it me or are these signs in Snowdonia blue? There are some other ones in the junctions nearby too.

They are on this stretch of road:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.745...42272&t=m&z=15
Those are old painted dark green signs, probably from the 1960s or 70s (the A470 has only been called that since about that time; although the road has always been a trunk road, it had different numbers north of Brecon). The luminous green signs below that started appearing from the 80s onwards. Some of the old green signs are almost black now, and there are quite a few around England and Wales, although they have been replaced over the years. That one hasn't, because it's legible and everything on it is still true (none of the roads have been diverted or renumbered since it was put up, for example).
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #3259
piotr71

Quote:
(..)We are building a new junction on the M275 and a 663-space park and ride facility. The Department for Transport has confirmed £19.5m funding for the project to go along with more than £8.5m of council money. Work began in January 2013.

The Portsmouth park-and-ride is vital to the city's ongoing regeneration, as it will provide sustainable transport, catering for increasing numbers of visitors generated by a redeveloped city centre and seafront, as well as for commuters and major events in the city. The motorway junction will provide access to the park-and-ride and also opens up the possibility of developing land on the western side of the motorway referred to as west Tipner. The new junction will not allow access to the existing homes in Tipner and Stamshaw as that would create a rat run for traffic accessing the motorway through the residential area...

http://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/living/8781.html
Old April 21st, 2013, 05:21 AM   #3260
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

http://goo.gl/maps/Ln4KS
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom