daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #3301
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Only a few motorways in United Kingdom have tolls isn't it? I see the legend in Google Maps but I don't clarify very much.
Perhaps in Northern Ireland?
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #3302
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
If emergency crews would rely on hard shoulders they wouldn't reach their operating site very often.
Indeed, but they use them where possible.

Most of the discontinuous hard shoulders, especially the newer ones, deliberately allow a path big enough for ambulances to use. eg here, where they didn't rebuild the bridge, but rather just removed the hard shoulder on the main carriageway, but then went to a lot of effort to create a one narrow-lane carriageway each way to allow emergency vehicles to not travel in the running lanes (note 'authorised vehicles only' sign, the hefty crash barriers protecting the bridge pier, and the fact that there is a crash barrier on the far side.

You don't take out a lot of embankment, add a load of crash-barrier, etc if you don't consider it important to have the hard shoulder as a way for emergency vehicles to get to crash sites. If the hard shoulder was merely for people to use to get out of the way of vehicles when stopped (broken down/if emergency vehicles are driving through congestion caused by incident to get to said incident), then this here is a serious waste of money.

Hampshire police kicked up a big fuss when part of the M271's shoulder at the M27 roundabout was proposed to be turned into a running lane - why would they do that, if it wasn't because they want a clear hard shoulder to bypass congestion on the carriageway that incidents cause?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3303
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Only a few motorways in United Kingdom have tolls isn't it? I see the legend in Google Maps but I don't clarify very much.
Perhaps in Northern Ireland?
Only motorways with tolls are the M4 and M48 Severn Bridges and the M6Toll.

Other primary road tolls are:
  • Dartford Crossing
  • Tyne Tunnel
  • Humber Bridge
  • Mersey Tunnels
  • Tamar Bridge (A38 bridge into Cornwall)
  • Trent Bridge on the A57
I'm pretty sure that list is comprehensive and the only other planned road toll is the Runcorn-Widnes bridges (the old one and the new, to fund the new).

There are no tolls at all in Northern Ireland.

javimix19, Moravian liked this post
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #3304
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Will the new Queensferry Crossing be toll-free?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #3305
sotonsi

Yes. Scotland doesn't do road tolls (having bought out all the remaining ones - Tay, Forth, Skye, Erskine about 5 or 6 years ago), so won't bring on new ones.
Old June 29th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #3306
javimix19

Likes (Received): 1328

Thank you Sotonsi, but I have to clarify somewhat: All the itinerary in M4 and M6 have tolls? or only few parts? For example M4 I know that have toll in Bristol Channel, but the other part also is tolled?

Thank you again.
javimix19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3307
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by javimix19 View Post
Thank you Sotonsi, but I have to clarify somewhat: All the itinerary in M4 and M6 have tolls? or only few parts? For example M4 I know that have toll in Bristol Channel, but the other part also is tolled?
Just the bridge over the Severn Estuary (and the M48 bridge to the north) is tolled.

The M6Toll is a separate motorway to the M6. None of the M6 is tolled.

javimix19 liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:15 PM   #3308
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

Hah UK can into continental road colours now on google earth. I couldn't understand why UK used different colour's from the rest... now i except a response from UKIP saying that it's all brussel's plan.
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3309
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
Hah UK can into continental road colours now on google earth. I couldn't understand why UK used different colour's from the rest... now i except a response from UKIP saying that it's all brussel's plan.
I think it's because those colours are so entrenched in British road maps. Irish roads are also in the same colour scheme on google maps.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:18 PM   #3310
sotonsi

Google's cartography has been gradually declining. New google maps is a step-change in awfulness and it is so ugly that even if they fixed the completely unintuitive StreetView, slow loading times and all the other problems, I still wouldn't use it as a map.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3311
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Not to mention the boatload of mapping errors, such as showing neighborhoods but not the actual city names on certain zoom levels. If you zoom out to show the British isles and surrounding areas, it shows the town of Tilehurst, a 14,000 people suburb of Reading.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:05 AM   #3312
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Not to mention the boatload of mapping errors, such as showing neighborhoods but not the actual city names on certain zoom levels. If you zoom out to show the British isles and surrounding areas, it shows the town of Tilehurst, a 14,000 people suburb of Reading.
At a certain zooming level you'll see 5 towns in Switzerland: Genève, Lausanne, Basel/Bâle/Basilea (yeah, with French and Italian names), Verbier (a small mountain village near Martigny) and last but not least, Kreis 11 (of Zürich, but not Zürich itself).
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:08 AM   #3313
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19211

Another good day off.
This time I walked around the M25/M26/A21 junction
M26 looking east

Looking west

M25 looking NE

Junction

M25 below A21

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #3314
geogregor

M25 looking west

I think those works are connected to future shoulder running on this stretch of M25.
They could widen it instead.

Average speed cameras

M25 further west

Old July 4th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #3315
geogregor

And for the end few random shots of signage and other stuff

I like those signs asking for being careful. Somehow I always feel personally asked by inhabitants of given village and obey such limits more than just a limit. It must be psychological trick.

Polite thank you

Old signs

Local country lane

A bit overgrown

Another name with the apostrophe, I love those

That's it for now. It might be a while before I post more pictures. I'm going to be too busy in the next few weeks.
But I'll see what I can do

Last edited by geogregor; July 9th, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #3316
duxo89

Likes (Received): 150

Welcome. I do statistics of roads in Europe. I have question.
What is the total length of UK Motorways and Expressways?
duxo89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #3317
sotonsi

http://bit.ly/10Fkqj7 <- you'll find what you are looking for here.

You don't do statistics of roads in Europe, you want to do statistics of roads in Europe. If you did stats, you'd have the (easily find-able) data already.
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #3318
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I think those works are connected to future shoulder running on this stretch of M25.
They could widen it instead.
No, they are widening it to 4 lanes with no shoulder*. It is called 'permanent all lane running' and is cheaper than temporary all-lane running.

Interestingly, this scheme means that the section will now be lit. As a kid, whenever we were coming back from East Kent, I could tell, even when half-asleep when we joined the M25 as there was about 90 seconds of very well lit junction book-cased by a good ten minutes of darkness.

*Which will see an end the signs put at the exit of Clacket Lane services about 10 years ago telling Eastern European lorry drivers that they cannot park on the hard shoulder.
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #3319
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
http://bit.ly/10Fkqj7 <- you'll find what you are looking for here.
You don't do statistics of roads in Europe, you want to do statistics of roads in Europe. If you did stats, you'd have the (easily find-able) data already.
I don't agree. The only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself.

I did a own statistic about my countires motorway length some years ago. The result was different to all available statistics - including all official statistics .
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #3320
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
No, they are widening it to 4 lanes with no shoulder*. It is called 'permanent all lane running' and is cheaper than temporary all-lane running.

Interestingly, this scheme means that the section will now be lit. As a kid, whenever we were coming back from East Kent, I could tell, even when half-asleep when we joined the M25 as there was about 90 seconds of very well lit junction book-cased by a good ten minutes of darkness.

*Which will see an end the signs put at the exit of Clacket Lane services about 10 years ago telling Eastern European lorry drivers that they cannot park on the hard shoulder.
No hard shoulder at all?
I guess they will put up gantries with thousands of speed cameras as well.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom