daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3321
Energy2003
überall zuhause

"Free Recovery - Await Rescue" what das that mean exactly?

you don´t have to call someone, they come automaticaly ?

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #3322
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

If you get a breakdown in the roadworks they will recover your vehicle for free. Sometimes automatically, sometimes there is a phone number on signs throughout the set of roadworks.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3323
Energy2003
überall zuhause

so they don´t want people do walk around their car and fix it themself but get of the road as fast as possible ?! sounds good

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3324
Road_UK
BANNED

Well yeah. You're blocking a lane otherwise. Rescue crews are usually camping in mobile homes just before or after the roadworks.

Energy2003 liked this post
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #3325
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
(..)

*Which will see an end the signs put at the exit of Clacket Lane services about 10 years ago telling Eastern European lorry drivers that they cannot park on the hard shoulder.
Dutch, German and English are with no doubts among mostly spoken Eastern European languages. Parking on hard shoulder near services is widely practised in the Netherlands and some other countries bordering with Germany, so it's not Eastern European phenomenon and actually, I have never seen lorries parked on hard shoulders alongside services' exits in Poland or let's say Czech Republik. Moreover, vehicles commonly use hard shoulder on M40 during rush hours, because of short exiting lanes(don't remember which junctions exactly but it's somewhere in between Banbury and Royal Leamington Spa).

geogregor liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #3326
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Lorry parking in the UK quite a problem anyway. Service areas demand 20 to 25 pounds if you´re staying longer than 2 hours, that is just insane. Loads of transport companies are not willing to pay for that. Apart from that, they're generally already full after 20.00. And in oppose to most other european countries, parking on industrial estates is forbidden, as they are seen as private grounds. The only thing left is parking on a lay-by next to a busy carriageway. I wouldn't feel quite safe here (example), and these are often also full after 20.00....
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #3327
Road_UK
BANNED

The are alternatives. Off - motorway laybys for example, but no facilities. If you do park at motorway services and pay, you usually get free meals and showers.
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3328
Jeroen669

As far as I remember you can buy a meal voucher for a few pounds extra, but it's not for free. However, this might differ between the service areas. I don't know about showers, usually I use the shower on the boat.
Old July 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #3329
Road_UK
BANNED

Free at Moto.
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #3330
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I don't agree. The only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself.
Given that the OP asked here, they clearly wanted data that someone else had falsified, rather than work it out for themselves. They weren't even bothered to do some research, wanting us to do it.

And it's not as if I gave only the official stats - merely a springboard into what others say.

I wasn't going to do the research for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Dutch, German and English are with no doubts among mostly spoken Eastern European languages.
German is pretty widely spoken in eastern Europe.

It's been a while, surprised to see Dutch on the sign - thought it was only 3. I do apologise - the problem is clearly Central European, not Eastern European.

Aren't a lot of the Dutch lorries parked up on shoulders due to Germany's 'no lorries on Sundays/holidays' rules?
Quote:
I have never seen lorries parked on hard shoulders alongside services' exits in Poland or let's say Czech Republik.
The latter country seems to be enough of a problem, along with the Dutch, to get their not-widely-spoken language on the sign...

Re lorry parking: even with the services now opened just to the south of the M40, the laybys on the A355 between A40 and M40 get quite a few parked up (though note the cars and stuff - with the services these are rarer now than in 08 when the image was taken). Or, for those who think people park up near services: even before the services, these laybys were more popular.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #3331
Jeroen669

Quote:
I wasn't going to do the research for them.
My experience is that the young generation Poles/Czechs/Slovaks etc. generally have become better in speaking english than in speaking german. That is, if they speak a foreign language at all. But I'd even think that a young polish trucker speaks better english than a german trucker.

Communication is far from the biggest problem. Any trucker, even most east-europeans, know that the hard shoulder isn't a legal place to park your truck on. It are the circumstances that make truckers still do it. See below.

Quote:
It's been a while, surprised to see Dutch on the sign - thought it was only 3. I do apologise - the problem is clearly Central European, not Eastern European.
No, there are problems with truck parking all over europe. There's a huge lack of parking space for trucks in almost any european country. On a day before a national holiday (= driving ban in most countries) the mess becomes complete, especially around border areas..

I 'm seeing germany making some new rest areas and also on a smaller scale some rest areas in France and Italy are being enlarged, though I don't think it will be enough. Also take in mind that our east-european friends much fewer use the parking areas around the 'real' truckstops, since those are meant for paying guests. If they know them at all...

The main reason that truckers are taking more risks to park on illegal places is the digital digitach plus the merciless enforcement on very minor offences by some countries. When you've got 15 minutes left arriving late on a full rest area, it's just naive to drive through, thinking that there will be space on the next one...
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #3332
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
The main reason that truckers are taking more risks to park on illegal places is the digital digitach plus the merciless enforcement on very minor offences by some countries.
Oh yes, servant of several masters and so on.

It's something that is sensible (don't have tired truckers on the road by limiting the time they can drive in one go. stop truckers being overworked) turned into something stupid by overzealous legislation enforced strictly.

The worst scenario is being having to stop 2 minutes from your destination, to have a break in your cab, whereas 2 minutes more driving and you could have had your break at the destination while the lorry was out of action (emptying/filling) anyway. Instead it is break, 2 minutes, wait around, drive back off.
Old July 7th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #3333
piotr71

Quote:
(..)
Yup... I know, quite a number of British think Polish is close relative to German.

Quote:
I do not know what you mean by "Central European" or "Eastern European", both terms are more than ambiguous nowadays. And, in my opinion, the problem is clearly British if takes place in Britain. Could it be insufficient number of parking spaces alongside M roads?

Quote:
Aren't a lot of the Dutch lorries parked up on shoulders due to Germany's 'no lorries on Sundays/holidays' rules?
Yes, they are. Aren't national and foreign registered trucks present on shoulders in Britain, because of the reason given above?

Quote:
The latter country seems to be enough of a problem, along with the Dutch, to get their not-widely-spoken language on the sign..
It's just a random choice of the Slavic language*. Czechs are not that common as Poles or Slovaks in the UK. And obviously are more disciplined than the first.

* However, "Ne parkovat'" is pretty much understandable to most Slavs, so the choice isn't bad, at all, and thanks god it's not Polish again.
Old August 9th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #3334
rockins

Likes (Received): 14

Video of "A" road in Coventry West Midlands shot from pedestrian crossing bridge.

http://youtu.be/2aH1OgFwUFQ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2aH1OgFwUFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
rockins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #3335
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

UK Dems pushing to ban fossil fuel autos by 2040

Quote:
Members of the Liberal Democrats political party in the UK (Lib Dems) have put forth a proposal that would see millions of gasoline- and diesel-burning passenger vehicles banned from British roads by 2040. As one pillar of its plan to create a "zero carbon" country, the proposed policy would see only "ultra-low carbon vehicles" – essentially super-efficient hybrids and electric vehicles – allowed for general use on public roads. Gasoline- and diesel-powered vehicles would still be permissible for hauling freight, however. For the record, such a proposal is not a brand new idea for the party.

The plans are certainly a long way from law at this point, however. The proposal is set to be voted on by Lib Dems at an upcoming party conference in Glasgow. If adopted, the plan would become part of the party's own policy, but not the law of the land.

Other items up for debate, and pursuant to the zero-carbon goals, include: an air passenger duty with trip-based carbon consumption charges, road-use tolls in congested areas and expansion of nuclear power and shale gas exploration.

According to the report in The Telegraph, Lib Dems are interested in the cost-saving potential of shale exploration, as long as "regulations controlling pollution and protecting local environmental quality are strictly enforced, planning decisions remain with local authorities and local communities are fully consulted over extraction and fully compensated for all damage to the local landscape."
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/07/u...il-fuel-autos/

I guess those politicians must have been brainwashed by eco-terrorist organizations such as Greenpeace.

P.S.
I can imagine someone saying:

"Ban fossil fuel cars, ey? Well, I guess should run over those hippies with my V8-powered Range Rover"

Last edited by Blackraven; August 10th, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3336
sotonsi

Nah, the Lib Dems are spouting loads of policies now to try and boost their Social Democrat credentials in order to get back some voters so that they don't wipe out in 2015 and have the same number of MPs as the SNP.
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #3337
Wapper

Likes (Received): 6628

I heard that there's no minimum speed on British motorways. Are there exceptionally slow drivers on the road because of this? Are vehicles that can't reach a decent speed (minimum on Belgian motorways is 70 km/h) still allowed to use these roads? Wouldn't it be a good idea to introduce a similar rule? After all, motorways are meant to be driven with a steady fast speed.
Wapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3338
Road_UK
BANNED

There is no minimum speed limit
anywhere unless there are blue
minimum speed signs. You can't
however drive so slowly as to cause an
obstruction or danger to other road
users.

People have gone to court for driving to slowly on motorways. Mopeds, tractors etc are not allowed on motorways, not even on certain dual carriageways.
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3339
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20288

Quote:
Only motorways with tolls are the M4 and M48 Severn Bridges and the M6Toll.l
And those Severn bridge tolls are only in one direction, when crossing into Wales.

When driving from Shropshire to Devon last Friday I used the M48 Severn bridge, but when driving back on Monday I took the M5 all the way to Birmingham as I would have had to pay £4.50 to cross.

The difference in time/distance by either route isn't great though going via Hereford, Monmouth, Newport and across the bridge is a nicer drive imo.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:23 PM   #3340
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

M8, M73, M74 upgrade

A major project moving forward in Scotland.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...jects/m8m73m74
Preferred bidder announced for M8 M73 M74 Motorway Improvements Project

The Central Scotland motorway network is on the road to completion with Transport Scotland today announcing Scottish Roads Partnership (SRP) - a consortium with a construction joint venture of Ferrovial Agroman and Lagan - as preferred bidder on this critical project.

The project will complete the motorway network between Glasgow and Edinburgh by upgrading the A8 Baillieston to Newhouse. It also includes work to improve the Raith Interchange and widening key sections of the M8, M73 and M74.

When completed the new section of road will shave up to 18 minutes off journeys at peak times for vehicles using this busy sections of the M8 each day. It is also expected to directly support hundreds of jobs, as well as many more in the supply chain.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom