daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #341
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Are there any plans for new motorways in UK ? I know there are plans for extending motorway in Glasgo, also plans for building new stretch of A74(M) near Carlisle and plans for new stretch of A1(M) from Wetherby to junction with A64. Any other plans ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #342
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MateoW View Post
Are there any plans for new motorways in UK ? I know there are plans for extending motorway in Glasgo, also plans for building new stretch of A74(M) near Carlisle and plans for new stretch of A1(M) from Wetherby to junction with A64. Any other plans ?
No, generally motorway building has now stopped in the UK, with only a few short new stretches being built, primarily in Scotland.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #343
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

its all converting 2x2 A roads to 3x3 motorway really, no new ones.

i do think we need a few more stretches of motorway though.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #344
r-g-b

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MateoW View Post
This guy nows more than most.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/futures/
r-g-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #345
channel
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
What's the function of those dot markings on the last pic?

i took that picture from an overheaq bridge, and just below me under the bridge is a speed camera. The speed camera takes several pictures in an instant and the dot markings on the roads are there to measure how fast the speeding car was travelling.
channel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #346
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

I think in Glasgow they should extend the M73 southwest to join M77.

The scots should also build M80 parallel to A80 between J3 and J4, build interchange J3a to link with M73; and let A80 serve local traffic.

Happy to see the Scots build a much needed link b/w M74 and M8.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #347
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-g-b View Post
This guy nows more than most.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/futures/
Yup - mostly A road upgrades/bypasses and a couple of motorway widening schemes on the whole.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #348
r-g-b

Likes (Received): 0

Sadly transport has not exactly been at the top of new labours agenda.

I was recently on holiday in France and it still amazes me every time I drive on a near empty Autoroute.
r-g-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #349
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20274

France has an advantage that it has pretty much the same population as us in a country that is 2.5 times as big, add to that the tolls that mean lots of people take other roads and the great HSR service and the motorways can be far emptier than ours (except on certain holidays when everybody in the country seems to be travelling)

France also has a more even spread of population, most of the UK's population is squeezed into the southern two thirds of England while France has major cities at all corners of the country.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #350
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samy70 View Post
British motorways are the best in the world at night... and the road surface is excellent in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
For a start, you're at least partially wrong. UK road signage is very good and clear. As for good mannered road users... hmm, depends where in the UK you are.

Beautiful.
The signs have no STANDARD ... they have good lettering and bright and contrast colors but ... no defined standard ... one never knows for sure what the damn sign means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Chair View Post
Agreed MP...I don't see why there are so many complaints about British signage. I've been to many countries and I can honestly say that British road signs are probably the easiest to read in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Planner View Post
No, generally motorway building has now stopped in the UK, with only a few short new stretches being built, primarily in Scotland.

You can go to Youtube and search for USER = "sorefame"

Lot's of scotish roads in his videos
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #351
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20274

What do you mean "the signs have no standard"?

They are the same across the network, I have no trouble knowing what they mean
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #352
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_13 View Post
I agree that when there is no enough trafic, there is no need for 3X2 motorways but on the other side there should be a terminology distinction between them, I think a 2x2 road should be called Expressway not a Motorway.
And what is a motorway anyway ???

Last tiemI checked in the UK you get:
Motorway (proper highway with 80mph limits)
Dual carriageway (any national road with 2x2 lanes and 70mph limits)
scotish dual carriageways rule ... roundabound intersections between 2 DC and even soem local supermarket acess roads labeled as DC (and so 70mph) in the midle of nowhere.

In spain it would be:
Autopista (highway)
Autovia (highway or lacking something)

Here in portugal it would be:
Autoestrada (120 km/h highway)
Via Rapida (highway with under 120km/h speed limits or even a 1x1 segregated route)

And by the way ... "expressway" denotes fast lanes ???

As an aftertought I would like to add that my left hand driving adaptation period lasted as long as 150m ... and that maintaining UNDER the speed limit was rather stressfull ...

You managed to take all the fun out of speeding and passing other traffic ... doing so well under the speed limits is no fun at all.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #353
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
What do you mean "the signs have no standard"?

They are the same across the network, I have no trouble knowing what they mean
They are ... well ... caotic!!!

But my favourite british signals are:

[passing place]

and

[speed cameras]

and also

[single file traffic]

— Eça
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:18 AM   #354
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Dual carriageway does not always equals to expressway.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:52 AM   #355
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8794

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
They are ... well ... caotic!!!
I'd say that British signs are very well standardised.

The blue signs = signs you see on a motorway.
Green signs = Main routes such as A roads to the nearest city.
White signs = Local routes or small places along a route.

That's the signs out the way, what else don't you quite understand about what is on them?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM   #356
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

sotavento - I think the trouble here is that you are not used to British motorway/road signage and therefore you seem to think that they are confusing and not standardised. If you live here and drive often you'll come to realise that they are very standardised and not confusing at all! I really don't see where you're coming from with this - I have always found the signage to be informative and clear.

As for "what is a motorway?" - it is a 2x2 road or greater (usually they're 3x3 in England) with a hard shoulder, fully flowing interchanges rather than roundabouts or other forms of junction, and a 70mph speed limit (not 80 as you seem to think!) for most vehicles. There are other "motorway restrictions" which include a minimum of 30mph (unless of course there is heavy traffic), no horses, bicycles, etc and a few other rules.

As for the direction boards - Motorways have blue signs with white writing. Primary A roads (a mixture of dual carriageways and other heavily used main roads) have green signs with white writing. Other roads have white signs with black writing. If you're on a little local road and on the direction sign (which will be white with black writing) it mentions the M6 for instance, the "M6" part appears in its motorway colours of blue and white.

Last edited by Manchester Planner; May 21st, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM   #357
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

The definitive guide!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...ings/index.htm

Warning signs are triangular. Information signs are rectangular. Signs giving orders are circular.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM   #358
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

I don't get the big issue foreigners have with UK road signs either. They're quite llogical, in the most part.

Let's see..

This sign is approaching a motorway exit. For Heathrow, stay on the M4. Stay on the motorway and follow signs for the M23, if you want Gatwick. Stay on the motorway and follow signs for the M40, if you want Oxford. Use the exit for the A412 and Maple Cross.

You're approaching a roundabout. The first exit is the A702 and Elvanfoot. The second exit is Carlisle via the A74(M), which has motorway regulations, as shown by the blue panel and the (M). The next exit is a road that leads you to the M74, which is a motorway as shown by the blue panel and which takes you to Glasgow. You can go this way Douglas via the B7078. The A70 is also down that way. The next exit is not an exit and you'll smash into oncoming traffic. The exit after is a service station.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM   #359
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

In my opinion, they show a few too much road numbers. It's not always clear which road you're on (look at the first motorway pic). Also, the roadnumbers appear too large in my opinion. Besides that, i think destinations are choosen too regionally, in other words, they don't always sign major cities far away. Since there are a lot of major cities in the UK, it's not always clear how to take a route to Birmingham from the north for instance.

However, i don't think the UK signage is that bad. One of the most important things to me is that "signage is meant for those unknown to the area/system, not for those driving there regularly". So signage has to be clear instantly to someone unknown to the area.

Of what i've heard from Dutch road meetings at signage factories, they say the British gantry's (overheads and signage structure) are by far the unsafest due to their massiveness, and their often concrete poles. I don't know wether it's true, but it were experts saying that.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:33 PM   #360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

About that too regional signage, i found these pics posted by me earlier in the thread.

This is the M6, one of the most important axis in the United Kingdom. However, only small towns are signed, no sign of Birmingham or even Liverpool or Manchester.
[img]http://i17.************/4v3idg0.jpg[/img]

My proposition (i used a German style program, but don't think i want German style signs )
[img]http://i19.************/4r0bzfr.png[/img]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom