daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #3681
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Science from where exactly?
A Google finds the answer, not that you are open-minded to accept it: here and here for instance.

Yes it is linked with VSL, but the flow models that produce VSL all show that avoiding changing lanes means that traffic flows much more consistently, and that near misses and breaking caused by people changing lanes is reduced (and so initial causes of ghost jams are reduced). As such, VSL/ATM/whatever installations tell you to avoid changing lanes, as they know it improves flow. If they didn't have anything to back it up, they wouldn't say it!
Quote:
Seeing that the UK infrastructure has been somewhat backward to begin with, who are these wonderful scientists that have come out with this bullcrap that if you hog lanes, the traffic will move faster? Because out in continental Europa, where infrastructure is far more advanced than the UK, they wouldn't dare telling anyone to avoid changing lanes.
Most of this is your Anglophobia coming out, but I've highlighted the moved goal posts - in the post you made before this it was about congestion, now it is about speed. Congestion is caused by near misses, not making the most out of capacity by using all the road space and so on. Avoiding changing lanes deals with the causes of congestion - more of the road space is used (Lane 4 isn't just for overtaking a vehicle overtaking a vehicle) and less lane changes = less conflicts = less near misses = less braking = less ghost jams (that's almost self-evidently simple).

Yes, you might not go faster, but, on average, everyone will move faster as they won't be held up in congestion.
Quote:
Matrix signs are there to provide information. That's what they do, even in the UK. However, they never tell you whether the information on the sign is true or not.
(telling me at 3am on the M25 that there is a queue ahead after next junction )
Ah, 'the boy who cried wolf' fallacious argument... Often people complain about the CONGESTION - STAY IN LANE signs, etc and the reduced speed limit as they don't find the source of the congestion. However that is as the signs have done they job well! I find the idea of there being a queue after the next junction on the M25 at 3am a very real possibility, though, at that time, the queue would be one that would disappear quickly once the thing causing it is moved (easily within the gap between sign warning you of queue and you reaching where it was). Plus the real time isn't quite there yet - such signs might take 5-10 minutes to go after the blockage is removed.

---

Plus, as I said, the need for the National Traffic Control Centre (or similar place that deals with the M25 VSL sections) to put these signs up telling people to STAY IN LANE, shows that the claims that 'lane discipline' is decent on the M25, demanding these frequent signs telling 'disciplined' drivers to stop it.

Natomasken liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #3682
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

At the end of the day, the UK's road infrastructure is very poor for a country as economically developed as it is. Road standards in relation to traffic volumes are pitiful, we have been bringing up the rear of the western world in terms of road network development since the 1930s, and highway design is getting progressively worse. Driving standards are also getting progressively worse as the population ages and migrants who learnt to drive in less developed countries increase in number.
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #3683
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

What about a 22 mile, £30 billion underground orbital road in London?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e600b5ae-d...44feabdc0.html
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #3684
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes, this "avoid changing lane" thing on the M25 is the most stupidest think they could have done. Traffic is now allowed to stay in lane doing whatever speed they want, potentially holding up traffic. Keep overtaking lanes clear, and it creates a better flow. Everyone should know that.
The problem is when a road becomes saturated with traffic flows the conventional approach to lane discipline becomes less relevant as there is less room to overtake. If anything there is a paradox where the left most lanes are best to occupy as there is often more traffic moving across to the right in the mistaken belief that it will be faster.

There have been many times that I have travelled up the A1 and witnessed a line of traffic queuing to get past slower traffic on the left lane, only for the lane to get so saturated with vehicles that it can sometimes become much slower than traffic in the left lane, usually due to a lot of bunching and braking which causes the ghost jam phenomenon. Knowing this, I find it's better to stay left to avoid having to brake and accelerate and instead maintain a fairly steady speed and being able to slow down by simply easing off the gas pedal instead of breaking hard and forcing the person, usually too close behind to brake harder. The benefit of this for me is less stress and quite a significant fuel saving and this type of approach relates well to the logic of staying in lane when the level of traffic far exceeds the maximum levels where a multi-lane highway can flow freely.

In other words the logic is simple. On a free-flowing road normal highway code rules apply in terms of keeping left unless overtaking. If the traffic exceeds free flowing capacity then its a case of filling all lanes with traffic to maintain a reasonable flow at a constant rate that often has to be less than the national speed limit.

Natomasken, piotr71 liked this post
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:48 PM   #3685
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Wales Argus
Work on new M4 Junction 28 'set to start in 2016'

Work to improve a Newport traffic bottleneck should begin in 2016, a Welsh Government minister has said. Edwina Hart, transport minister, said that the Welsh Government is on the hunt for contractors for works to improve junction 28 on the M4 at Tredegar House.

The works are part of a number of measures the Welsh Government is taking to improve the motorway, and could see a 'Coldra-style' link from the M4 eastbound to the A48.

In a letter Ms Hart told Labour Newport West AM Rosemary Butler said: "An employers agent has been appointed and topographic surveys have recently been completed, using laser technology to avoid lane closures and traffic disruption. We are now in the process of identifying potential design and build contractors. Invitations to tender will follow further planning and design works, in liaison with Newport City Council. Subject to obtaining the appropriate powers, works are programmed to begin in 2016".

The Argus reported last summer that junction 28 was due to be upgraded as part of a series of road improvements.

According to the Construction Inquirer website, tender documents show the new junction will be made longer with a central link from the M4 eastbound to the A48. It will involve the demolition of the westbound on-slip to the M4 underbridge over the A48, the website reported.

The details suggest that if the design goes ahead as planned, the new junction may be similar in operation to the Coldra, where a central link road through the roundabout takes motorists from the A449 straight to the M4 westbound.
Taken from their website Here
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #3686
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19144

Ok, time for some shots from my weekend trip to Devon.
I will never agin drive somewhere on bank holiday Saturday at the beginning of the half term. Traffic was just ludicrous. It took us about 6hr 30min to drive from Heathrow to Totnes.

Anyway, once we got there it was quite nice.
Here are some back roads leading to Dartmoor:

B3212

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:37 AM   #3687
geogregor

Still B3212

Signage for larger vehicles

Old May 28th, 2014, 02:42 AM   #3688
geogregor

On the way back to London, bypassing Exeter

A30 heading east towards A303

Old May 28th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #3689
geogregor

A303

Last few late shots, sorry for quality but it was getting dark

Old May 28th, 2014, 02:57 AM   #3690
geogregor

Here is link to documentary about A303 as the "Highway to the Sun"

One day I want to drive this road slowly heading southwest
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #3691
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Lovely!

(Does that "American" restaurant realized it used the American spelling of "licensed"? If that was intentional, it was pretty subtle! (Sorry, it's the editor in me....))

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Blackraven liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:22 PM   #3692
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

M25 - London Orbital Motorway:

Road_UK liked this post
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #3693
piotr71

Quote:
SCORES of residents packed out a community centre eager to see how a £90m plan to improve access to the Gosport peninsula could affect them.

Hampshire County Council held a consultation at Titchfield Community Centre yesterday.

The council is in its second round of public consultation about the scheme, which includes a Stubbington bypass, a new Newgate Lane South, improvements to the A27 and a better Peel Common roundabout.
The council would also like to ensure that motorists can exit both ways at junction 10 of the M27
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/tra...cess-1-6115577
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #3694
piotr71

Quote:
Central Bedfordshire Council is working with the Highways Agency (who are responsible for the A1) to replace the existing roundabout to the south of Biggleswade, on the A1 at the junction with A6001 London Road.

We will be enlarging and elongating the roundabout into a long-about. The new layout will increase the capacity of the junction to cater for increased traffic. You can see a drawing of the new layout (PDF 1.4MB).

This work is an important predecessor to support and encourage jobs and housing growth in Biggleswade. Without this reconfiguration of the roundabout, Stratton Business Park and London Road Retail Park are not as attractive for development. Any development would increase the traffic, HGVs in particular, which would try to go through the town of Biggleswade to get onto the A1 via the northern roundabout if the A1 long-about at the south is not able to cope with the increased traffic.

The development of the roundabout is key to unlocking the potential for approx. 2,000 new jobs, 2,100 homes (at the Land East of Biggleswade (LEOB)) and increased shopping choice over the next 5 to 10 years in Biggleswade.
http://m.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/...ggleswade.aspx
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #3695
piotr71

Corby link road opened.

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/...ight-1-6078612

I have captured some 20 imaged of the link, however they are very low quality, so will post only 3 of them.

IMG_20140527_142639 by 71piotr, on Flickr

IMG_20140527_143110 by 71piotr, on Flickr

IMG_20140527_143130 by 71piotr, on Flickr
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #3696
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Ok, time for some shots from my weekend trip to Devon.
I will never agin drive somewhere on bank holiday Saturday at the beginning of the half term. Traffic was just ludicrous. It took us about 6hr 30min to drive from Heathrow to Totnes.

I did Ashburton ( near Totnes) to Vauxhall Bridge in 2 hours 45 mins once but I deliberately avoided the A303 and the bloody caravan drivers and took the M4-M5 instead.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #3697
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
I did Ashburton ( near Totnes) to Vauxhall Bridge in 2 hours 45 mins once but I deliberately avoided the A303 and the bloody caravan drivers and took the M4-M5 instead.
I also used M4-M5 route but M4 was slow, in places very slow, while M5 was basically stationary. At some point we even tried local roads but it didn't help that much.
It was a bloody nightmare. All in pouring rain.

Coming back via A303 was way faster (Bank Holiday Sunday evening). I hit M25 in way less than 3 hours, probably about 2hr 30min (from Dartmoor), including loo stop at the diner and trying to find vantage point with view of Stonehenge.
Old June 16th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #3698
geogregor

OK, some of my photos from a weekend day trip to Dover:

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #3699
geogregor

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #3700
geogregor