daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #3721
sotonsi

Oh, 2011 traffic figures (from https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...fic_Report.pdf)
Code:
Name of segment         |Junctions*|AADT
A14 West of A1          | 20-21    |41500
A14 Spur east of A1(M)  | 23-A1    |43000
A14 Through Huntingdon  | 23-24    |72000
A14 Swavesey to Bar Hill| 28-29    |77000
A14 Bar Hill to Girton  | 29-31    |91000
A14 Cambridge Northern Bypass|31-32|63000
*guess work in some cases
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #3722
piotr71

M25, Cobham Services

Some new features on Cobham Services:

Road_UK liked this post
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #3723
piotr71

M1, J10-J10A

Quote:
Luton Borough Council is carrying out carriageway re-alignment and construction of a grade separated junction on the approach to the airport between J10 and J10A of the M1. During the work, there will be lane closures between 9pm and 6am with narrow lanes remaining in place 24 hours a day in both directions and 30 and 50mph speed limits for safety reasons. Work will be carried out in phases with completion planned for June 2015. For further details, contact Luton Borough Council Highways on 01582 510330 or visit www.luton.gov.uk

Old June 27th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #3724
piotr71

A1 / A6001 Biggleswade

Quote:
A1 / A6001 Biggleswade, Bedfordshire: Roundabout improvements
Central Bedfordshire Council is carrying out work to improve the Biggleswade South roundabout, which started in February 2014. This work will require overnight carriageway closures and lane closures on the A1 between 9pm and 6am with narrow lanes remaining in place 24 hours a day in both directions and 40 and 50mph speed limits for safety reasons. Work is due to be completed on 16 August 2014. For further details, contact Central Bedfordshire Council Highways on 0800 032 9760 / [email protected] or visit www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk.

All pictures captured by myself. Quotations come from here: http://www.luton-dunstable.co.uk/New...0613150252.htm

Last edited by piotr71; June 27th, 2014 at 11:18 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #3725
piotr71

A23

Old June 27th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #3726
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Some new features on Cobham Services:

A load of wash costs me $1.50....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #3727
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 951

Yeah, but I'm guessing that truck drivers would be inclined to pay a premium to wash their clothing whilst stopped for a rest. It's not like they can drive into a town centre easily and park in front of a laundromat.

piotr71 liked this post
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #3728
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Okay, to the extent I thought about it at all, the thought process was something like: (1) "Laundromat at a service area? Cool. What'll they think of next?" (2) "But you'd have to stay by your stuff in case it was stolen." (3) "Damn, that's expensive, too." But I was thinking general travelers rather than truck drivers.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old June 29th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3729
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

It's important since the last place the truckers could wash would probably be Germany
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #3730
sirfreelancealot

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
A load of wash costs me $1.50....
These are UK service stations though which shows at its best how Rip off Britain is at work. Huge mark-up on everything food and drink wise and also for fuel - a good 8-10 pence per litre more (approx 30-40 cents per US gallon if that's more meaningful).

Hence I avoid unless I need to stop to use the toilet facilities and take my own snack and drinkage if i'm on a long hike, or stop off in a town next to the motorway.

I had a 500 mile trip back from north east Scotland on Sunday and stopped in Lockerbie and ate in a local pub. Much more relaxing also than being in a place where you're treated to advert after advert everywhere you walk. Even when your stood at a urinal (in the toilets obviously) your staring at an advert, usually for radar detectors or treatments for erectile dysfunctions.

These places are bonkers.

Jonesy55 liked this post
sirfreelancealot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:55 AM   #3731
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19154

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfreelancealot View Post
These are UK service stations though which shows at its best how Rip off Britain is at work. Huge mark-up on everything food and drink wise and also for fuel - a good 8-10 pence per litre more (approx 30-40 cents per US gallon if that's more meaningful).

Hence I avoid unless I need to stop to use the toilet facilities and take my own snack and drinkage if i'm on a long hike, or stop off in a town next to the motorway.

I had a 500 mile trip back from north east Scotland on Sunday and stopped in Lockerbie and ate in a local pub. Much more relaxing also than being in a place where you're treated to advert after advert everywhere you walk. Even when your stood at a urinal (in the toilets obviously) your staring at an advert, usually for radar detectors or treatments for erectile dysfunctions.

All you said is true but...
I somehow like the motorway service stations. I guess it partially comes from my memories of good times hitchhiking when I was still at university but apart from that the service stations have this weird, non-place, atmosphere with strange and random mix of people. They epitomize pure movement.
I think there was documentary about it a while ago, probably on the BBC.

Of course if you look for a good food then avoid services at any cost but once on a drive I only need snack from McD or BK. It is all part of travel ambient

Last edited by geogregor; July 1st, 2014 at 12:16 PM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:27 AM   #3732
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirfreelancealot View Post

Coming from (living in, for that matter...) a country where they're relatively rare - generally speaking, only toll roads have service areas on the side of the roadway - they do have a certain novelty value to me. Yes, I'm weird.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:17 AM   #3733
sotonsi

Service stations at junctions have prices no higher than the surrounding area.

AFAICS, the price differential has decreased in recent years, even on fuel. You are still paying for convenience, but less than you used to have to.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:07 PM   #3734
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Coming from (living in, for that matter...) a country where they're relatively rare - generally speaking, only toll roads have service areas on the side of the roadway - they do have a certain novelty value to me. Yes, I'm weird.
Well here in the US you can just get off any major interstate and usually find the same collective of Arby's, Waffle House, BK, Wendy's, KFC, Taco Bell or Dunkin Donuts plus 8 different gas stations and hotels / motels. They tend to be a bit more conscious of urban planning in British & European cities where there simply isn't the space to have those things. Also there are many decent service areas along the Florida Turnpike for example. They've improved a lot over the years.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #3735
geogregor

Few shots from London
A2 in Eltham

Signs in Lewisham, I quite like those two

Old July 7th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #3736
geogregor

Now few unusuall shots from London.
Yes, the below shots were all taken inside administrative boundaries of London as well as inside the M25
They were taken around village of Downe in the far south end of borough of Bromley

passing places in London

So we can technically call this set "the streets of London"
Old July 7th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #3737
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Brilliant. I've been watching the roads of (mostly) Yorkshire for two days on TV. The Tour de France.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

devo liked this post
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #3738
Kentlad

Likes (Received): 7

Story is slightly old now but thought I'd post it up

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sittingb...oposals-18576/
Kentlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #3739
bogdymol
bogdymod

Few pictures from my first driving experience in the UK.

Evening on M6 heading to Birmingham:

On M40 from Birmingham to London. They did quite a big excavation here instead of a tunnel:

Driving on the "wrong" side, steering wheel on the right...

Still on M40, but closer to London:

Entering the ultra-congested M25 (London Orbital):

Traffic was really bad on M25 (London Orbital). But at least I saw an Airbus A380 departing from Heathrow Airport:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #3740
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

That sort of traffic is usual on that part of the M25.
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom