daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:09 PM   #3761
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I noticed very advanced roadworks going on on one of the most ridiculous junction I have seen - "Catthorpe Interchange".
Yes - they are removing local access, making an M6-A14 through route and adding free-flowing slip roads from the M1 to/from the north to the A14.

piotr71 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:02 PM   #3762
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19203

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
But don't forget the massive number of lane-miles added to the network since '94. The amount of widening has been rather high. Rather than expanding the network, there's been a focus on getting more out of the routes we already have.

And it's not like motorways are the be-all-and-end-all. The SE has a reasonable, and growing, expressway network.

No one is complaining that the Dutch aren't doing stuff, but they have also opened very little motorway in the last 20 years.
Yes, there is some widening, unfortunately recently mostly done on the cheap by introducing shoulder running.

But there are still massive gaps in the network. For example A1 should be motorway all the way from London to Edinburgh. I drove few stretches of this road recently and calling it "expressway" is a bit of a stretch: roundabouts, narrow winding lanes, direct access to some random garages etc.

Those British expressways are a bit of hit or miss. Some of them are decent (basically motorway without the wide hard shoulder) but other are just a joke.

I like British motorways, they are well design and pleasure to drive (of course off peak) but I think network should be expanded to allow more alternative routes.
For example M1 is so full partially because A1 is so crap in places.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:01 PM   #3763
piotr71

Catthorpe Interchange

Here is a "detour" one has to make if wish to join A14 from M1 North bound. There is a need to pull over on M6, then turn around on the first exit, cross two traffic lights sets, and finally go under M1 through another lights and roundabout. Hopefully, after completing reconstruction of "Catthorpe Interchange" it will be far more straightforward.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:38 AM   #3764
Mackem

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
I could never understand why the Humber Bridge was built as a suspension bridge at all. Hardly any boats go underneath it...maybe they did when it was designed but not by the time they built it.

Britains nicest suspension bridge by a long way, it has a certain loneliness about it.
Plenty of boats on the Humber, there are many wharves up river from Hull and the port at Goole is for the UK a busy one.

The bridge was built as part of a larger scheme that as usual was never finished.
Mackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:39 AM   #3765
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Here is a "detour" one has to make if wish to join A14 from M1 North bound. There is a need to pull over on M6, then turn around on the first exit, cross two traffic lights sets, and finally go under M1 through another lights and roundabout. Hopefully, after completing reconstruction of "Catthorpe Interchange" it will be far more straightforward.
Yes - you will head up the M6, u-turn at J1, and then go under the M1 and not have to stop.

Or just take the A45, which performs the strategic movements (like the M69 performs the M6 to Leicester movements), cutting off the corner. (local routes exist for local traffic).
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #3766
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

British road network is really strange, especially reliance on A-routes for long distances, etc. It seems like they chose to have fewer corridors but then also made the roads small... some of the roads are just glaringly under-capacity, like having the M25 and other SE / London motorways without a quadruple-carriageway configuration
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #3767
geogregor

Few of my shots of M25

I have a question about the variable speed limit. If the signs are off and it is all back to the national speed limit are the speed cameras off or do they still work and police the 70mph limit?
Old August 4th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #3768
geogregor

A1(M)

A1

Old August 4th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #3769
geogregor

A1(M) another better stretch of the A1

Again back to narrow A1

Old August 4th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #3770
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I have a question about the variable speed limit. If the signs are off and it is all back to the national speed limit are the speed cameras off or do they still work and police the 70mph limit?
Same as the SW quadrant - still on, but enforcing the 70 limit with a very generous 90mph trigger speed. IIRC.
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #3771
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Same as the SW quadrant - still on, but enforcing the 70 limit with a very generous 90mph trigger speed. IIRC.
90mph trigger? Wow that's really generous. Is there any way of verifying that info?
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #3772
sotonsi

Going along it at both 89 and 91 (two times) and seeing how many letters you get, I guess...
Old August 6th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #3773
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Queensferry Crossing

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...-fife-28673297

Queensferry Crossing reaches construction half way stage

The three towers of the Queensferry Crossing are now at road deck level. Transport Scotland said the project was on time and under budget.

The current budget range for the project is £1.4bn to £1.45bn, down from £1.45bn to £1.6bn in 2011
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #3774
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Saw this one international news a few minutes ago:

I salute the owner/builder of that road........because he has 'balls' and initiative.

https://twitter.com/KelstonTollRoad
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #3775
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

I saw that, I wonder what happens if there's an accident on that road since it's private. I don't think police has any jurisdiction there or am I wrong?

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/s...stol-bath-a431
Old August 7th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #3776
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
I saw that, I wonder what happens if there's an accident on that road since it's private. I don't think police has any jurisdiction there or am I wrong?

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/s...stol-bath-a431
^
Apparently, they were also discussing this in the SABRE roads forum

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/...33268&start=20

lafreak84 liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #3777
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Dude rented a field off a farmer and built the road around a landslide section of public road. He has until christmas to make at least UK100k before he makes any profit. I suspect that the local council might not be too serious about planning rules until then,.

He also has to remove the road himself, sooner or later.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #3778
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

M25 right now brought to me live from a friend and colleague driver, with the following text:

Welcome to the road to hell M25 car park lovely just wot i need on a friday mmmm

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #3779
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
M25 right now brought to me live from a friend and colleague driver, with the following text:

Welcome to the road to hell M25 car park lovely just wot i need on a friday mmmm
We should build the M31.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #3780
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Saw this one international news a few minutes ago:

I salute the owner/builder of that road........because he has 'balls' and initiative.

https://twitter.com/KelstonTollRoad
Now that's a troll road .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom