daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #3801
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Getting ready to leave home in Stevenage:
Am I the only one who saw this and immediately shouted "shhpreeentaarr!" in a overly forced German accent?
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #3802
stefeni-ts

Likes (Received): 41

One of the more pathetic motorways is the M274 it is so short it has absolutely no identifiers and just gets luped in as the M27/m275 junction it is the short northern spur of this junction and its identity has been lost in the mists of time
stefeni-ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #3803
sotonsi

The number was never used, AFAICS (someone who worked on the M27 plans talked about the planned M270-M275 numbers).

The original J12 plan was three roundabouts, but the free-flow J12 made the northern spur to the A27 and the southern one to the A3 effective one route, rather than two spurs.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #3804
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19219

A151 in Lincolnshire, it is rather local road

A15

A15 is really busy. There are some relatively long straight stretches but it is difficult to overtake due to traffic volumes.

Going north from Hull, those shots are probably from B1248 if I remember correctly

CDN.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #3805
geogregor

Yorkshire

Old August 27th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #3806
geogregor

On the way from Yorkshire back to London, it was getting dark so some shots are not ideal.

Old August 27th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #3807
geogregor

One of many roadworks on my way, here motorway is narrowing and we can see average speed camera zone beginning

Damn one lane. Unfortunately on that evening they were changing temporary lanes

Here a bit better but average speed cameras are still present. They are installing running shoulder.
Some construction zones on M1 seems to go on and on, for miles at a time. Soon there will be more managed stretches than the regular ones
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:41 AM   #3808
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Where's the nearest fuel service station in Goodwood (near Rolls Royce)?

And who is/are the service provider(s) of that fuel station? (e.g. Shell, British Petroleum, Tesco UK, Esso, Total UK, etc.)

Thanks =)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 02:49 AM   #3809
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

The main service providers in the UK are usually either Costa Coffee or Starbucks coffee with petrol almost as an afterthought. That is a big improvement on the expensive and inedible offal that Trust House Forté and Grenada offered the travelling public until recent years.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM   #3810
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
The main service providers in the UK are usually either Costa Coffee or Starbucks coffee with petrol almost as an afterthought. That is a big improvement on the expensive and inedible offal that Trust House Forté and Grenada offered the travelling public until recent years.
Ah I see.

Oh wait a second, please forgive me for that as my post may not have been clear. My bad.

My question is:
Where are is the nearest fuel station(s) closest to the Rolls Royce factory?

I ask that because in the future, I plan to ask/borrow a Rolls Royce Wraith (Right Hand Drive, UK-spec car with Miles Per Hour Speedometer) from RR HQ in Goodwood........but my concern is that even with an 83 liter maximum fuel tank capacity, I'm aware that I would need to refuel at least once a day since the car has a V12 engine.

That and I'm not sure if Rolls Royce HQ has supply inventory for Unleaded Motor Fuel on-site.

That's the reason why I want to know as to where is the closest place where I can load up on some Unleaded Motor Fuel.

There are currently more than 8,000 fuel stations in the UK so there has to be at least one major fuel provider in the Goodwood area =)
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #3811
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

just press the petrol station button in the navi...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #3812
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Ah I see.

Oh wait a second, please forgive me for that as my post may not have been clear. My bad.

My question is:

I ask that because in the future, I plan to ask/borrow a Rolls Royce Wraith (Right Hand Drive, UK-spec car with Miles Per Hour Speedometer) from RR HQ in Goodwood........but my concern is that even with an 83 liter maximum fuel tank capacity, I'm aware that I would need to refuel at least once a day since the car has a V12 engine.
I see. You are worried that a modern Rolls Royce will need refueling as soon as it leaves the factory and that only the nearest petrol station will do. I assure you it will go 50 km in any direction nowadays and that you will have a choice of service stations for petrol.

Dammit if the Roller won't get to Calais and beyond on a full tank. Do research Rolls Royce cars just a tad more before you ACTUALLY go and buy one, there is a good chap.!
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #3813
andy5

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Ah I see.

My question is:

Sainsburys a mile away, just off the bypass, due south of the airfield

Esso at Tangmere to the east

Tesco to the west of Chichester and a couple of Co-op with Texaco east and westbound on Chichester bypass

Blackraven liked this post
andy5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #3814
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Atlas recommendation, please:

I'm ordering some books and maps from a retailer in the Netherlands...I've been meaning to get a British road atlas as well and this retailer offers Collins and AA ones so I can toss one in and save on shipping. (I know about A-Z, but they don't have it.) Which would you buy - Collins' "Big" atlas of Britain or the comparable AA one?

Thanks.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #3815
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

If I had to choose I'd go for the AA one. But I always used Philips's road maps (not to be confused with the electronics). I've got one for Britain, France and Europe, and it has always served me well, also with extra information included.

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #3816
geogregor

I don't like Philip's atlases.

With the exception of Philip's Navigator which is in my opionion the best road atlas on the market :

Quote:
The main road maps are at 1.5 miles to 1 inch (Northern Scotland at 3 miles to 1 inch) and are extra clear and detailed, showing even the smallest roads and lanes that are omitted from other atlases. Every roundabout, junction and slip-road is shown in detail on main roads and motorways. In country areas, thousands of individual houses and farms are marked, along with footpaths and tracks.
Quote:
Over 8000 tourist attractions and places of interest are shown and named on the maps, including national parks, nature reserves, RSPB reserves, TWT reserves, houses and gardens, beaches, marinas, canals, county showgrounds, CCC camping and caravan sites, shopping villages, World Heritage Sites, long-distance footpaths, sporting venues, park and rides, and ferries. Philip's Navigator Britain is widely used by professional drivers and the emergency services, including national police training, and is recommended in the motoring press and national newspapers.
Stanfords ship worldwide:
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Home/Prod...1849073172.htm
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #3817
sotonsi

A-Z do a decent GB atlas, though you need a magnifying glass if you don't buy the larger versions. But a Navigator isn't much more expensive than the Super Scale and is a higher quality product (more robust).

But in a choice of Collins and AA, I'd go with AA purely on the grounds that it sells more and thus is a more 'authentic' experience of UK mapping. Both have different cartography styles, but there's a similar level of detail and accuracy and there's not much between the two other than personal preference. If either one has Ireland as well as Britain (typically a double-page spread that's good for nothing more than an overview), get that as that's a better tie break. Price is arguably the best tie-break.

Personally I'd avoid spiral bound, but some people think that an atlas that falls apart quickly is better as you can see the tiny bit that disappears down the middle. IIRC, Collins tend to go spiral bound, whereas AA do staples.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #3818
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Thanks, all (and others can chime in, of course).

Now how is it that Britain has four competing lines of road atlases (five, now that I think of it: Michelin) and France three, while we're down to two (well, plus Michelin) over here?

Of course, GMaps and its ilk may kill them all. Not that GMaps isn't fun to play with and more useful than anyone for certain things....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #3819
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Does Rand McNally still publishes atlases? I have a 2004 edition here
Old September 27th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #3820
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Thanks, all (and others can chime in, of course).

Now how is it that Britain has four competing lines of road atlases (five, now that I think of it: Michelin) and France three, while we're down to two (well, plus Michelin) over here?

Of course, GMaps and its ilk may kill them all. Not that GMaps isn't fun to play with and more useful than anyone for certain things....
Because we don't do things by halves!
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom