daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #3881
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

How many tax discless cars have people seen? I've counted nine so far.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #3882
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Thousands every day, here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; October 27th, 2014 at 01:36 AM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #3883
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I've seen one British regisered car with a Austrian vignette in the tax-disc holder a few days ago...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #3884
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Bang on queue, here is a plan to spend another £7bn

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29779134

And yet the A14 is not worth £1bn to serve the self same north of England economy.

Madness.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #3885
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I've seen one British regisered car with a Austrian vignette in the tax-disc holder a few days ago...
There is a LHD Mercedes in Edinburgh with UK plates and CH sticker
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 12:33 AM   #3886
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Can some one please confirm that the endless roadworks on the M6 through Birmingham are actually finished and it isn't a fragment of my imagination from somewhere? I haven't driven on that stretch since I was evacuated from Aber in January or February, been on it once since as a tired coach passenger and I'm not sure if there were no roadworks or if I just didn't notice them.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2014, 08:53 AM   #3887
bogdymol
bogdymod

I drove on M6 near Birmingham at the beginning of July and the roadworks were there for quite a long distance. Speed limit 50 mph. I don't know if today they are still working or not.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:11 PM   #3888
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

M3

Major improvement work starts on M3 between Farnborough and M25

Work starts on Monday 3 November on the initial phase of a multi-million pound project to improve the M3 between the M25 and Farnborough.

The section between junctions 2 and 4a will become a smart motorway, adding a fourth lane in both directions in place of the hard shoulder and adding enhanced on-road technology to keep traffic moving safely and reliably, providing a boost for businesses and the wider economy. The road will also be resurfaced with a new, low noise material.

We are planning to complete the main works of this £174 million project by the end of 2016 with work taking place predominantly from Monday to Friday, although occasional weekend work may be needed for some specific parts of the project. As we will be keeping three lanes of traffic open during daytime throughout the project this restricts the available working area so we will also need to undertake some work at night.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...orough-and-m25
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 09:27 PM   #3889
Road_UK
BANNED

This means that the hard shoulder gets cancelled at times in order to make way for traffic circulation, and also that traffic has to shift one lane at every junction, same as the M42 east of Birmingham. How effecive and high-tech! (not)

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #3890
sotonsi

Quote:
This means that the hard shoulder gets cancelled at times in order to make way for traffic circulation
If by 'at times' you mean 'all the time'. All the London area schemes have been All Lane Running, and this is no different.
Quote:
and also that traffic has to shift one lane at every junction, same as the M42 east of Birmingham.
Traffic doesn't have to shift lanes at the junction (and shouldn't be driving in the capacity eating, lane-weaving keep left - follow the signs!), but the M42 needs it to create queuing space for exiting traffic, and as nearly a quarter of traffic leaves.

M3 J3 and J4 will almost certainly fall in the same boat. Lane drops - they are only issues when the mainline doesn't have enough lanes either side of junctions, or if they are double lane drops (like the M25 5-lane section).
Quote:
How effecive and high-tech! (not)
Actually it seems to be effective, and the second gen stuff seen on the M25 now is better than 5 year old M42 stuff (which wasn't bad).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #3891
Road_UK
BANNED

Freight traffic generally keep to the left unless overtaking. This means that at peak hours they run the hard shoulder, which turns into a exit sliproad at every junction. So in order for them to stay on the M42 they have to rejoin the main carriageway at every junction.
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #3892
sotonsi

So because they miss the instructions to stay in lane, it's the road design's fault?

And surely they'd remember and not bother moving left the second time they travel through if it is the disaster you say it is...
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #3893
piotr71

Freight traffic generally stay in left lane most of the time, so, if there is "stay in lane" communicate applied (which is logical only if speed limit is lowered to 50 miles an hour) they obey the instruction and stay in lane, which is left lane. Does it sound clear?
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #3894
sotonsi

But then they stay in lane in lane 2 after the junction - its not the road's fault if they move back over. RoadUK was saying that they have to shift at every junction.

Plus, as lane 1 in this case is the hard shoulder, they would have to be in it when they see the stay in lane sign.
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #3895
Road_UK
BANNED

This "stay in lane" thing is also against all European standards, andllast time I checked UK is still Europe. To keep traffic moving we keep to the far left unless overtaking. No wonder the British are the worst lane hogging offenders in Europe if you apply regulations like that, but at least lorries stick to the rule...
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #3896
sotonsi

Quote:
To keep traffic moving we keep to the far left unless overtaking.
Which does the opposite of keeping traffic moving, hence why on the busiest stretches of motorway you get VSL and signs like this.
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #3897
Road_UK
BANNED

I am sorry, but this explains why Britain has to endure he worst congestions in Europe, simply because people get to stay in lane at any speed they want. On the M25 I often find bizzare situations where the inside is full of lorries, the outside full of stationary traffic and a free-flow middle lane. It is time for a full-enforcement of keeping all overtaking lanes clear for overtaking only.

piotr71 liked this post
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #3898
piotr71

There is another, typical for the UK issue, making massive amount of drivers avoiding lane 1 and causing congestion - lack of merging skills. Drivers tend to merge on the beginning of merging lane (if one exists) or on outside angle of a merging taper. They do not build their velocity to match speed of the vehicles already moving on lane 1 either, and usually try to jump in a least appropriate moment and place, instead. It discourages others from using leftmost lane because of a fear of an accident. Both, lack of proper motorway training and irregularity of merging lanes' shape are too blame here.
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #3899
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
I am sorry, but this explains why Britain has to endure he worst congestions in Europe, simply because people get to stay in lane at any speed they want. On the M25 I often find bizzare situations where the inside is full of lorries, the outside full of stationary traffic and a free-flow middle lane. It is time for a full-enforcement of keeping all overtaking lanes clear for overtaking only.
Certainly the lorries should not be allowed to use the inside lanes i.e. the lanes nearest the median.

Blackraven liked this post

Last edited by mcarling; November 4th, 2014 at 11:09 PM. Reason: clarity
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #3900
Road_UK
BANNED

Of course they are. In British English the inside lane stands for lane 1. All other lanes are overtaking lanes.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom