daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #3901
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

Lane drops at M3 J3 and J4 on the Managed Motorways - All Lane Running scheme are sensible. At peak times considerable volumes of traffic enter and exit these junctions. There is not a huge amount of lorry traffic on this part of the M3 either, so lane gains and lane drops at junctions are the best solution.

The scheme will not solve one of the big causes of congestion on this part of the M3; Junction 3 cannot cope with the volumes of traffic it handles, and queues from the roundabout stretch back onto the main carriageway daily. The junction needs remodelling into something more efficient.
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #3902
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I am sorry, but this explains why Britain has to endure he worst congestions in Europe, simply because people get to stay in lane at any speed they want.
Really? I thought it was because it has a high population density with a minimal network that funnels traffic onto a bare-bones network of motorways and fast dual carriageways (most of which, esp near cities, could do with at least another lane to deal with the amount of traffic they have) at poor quality junctions (very little free-flow).

Especially true in SE England (I'm counting the EU voting region of that name, Greater London, Hertfordshire and Essex), which has the 116.8% population of the Netherlands in 76.58% of the space. And far worse road network than that densely populated country.

Next you'll be saying that Britain's railways are crowded as the fast trains use their own dedicated tracks, rather than sharing with the slow trains and using passing loops to overtake slower trains. Ignoring the issues of the tracks being at capacity and passenger demand being very high
Quote:
On the M25 I often find bizzare situations where the inside is full of lorries, the outside full of stationary traffic and a free-flow middle lane. It is time for a full-enforcement of keeping all overtaking lanes clear for overtaking only.
Really? I travel on it often, and it's never like that - it's either empty, or all the lanes (save perhaps the inside lane if it is a weaving lane between junctions) are full.

Plus what's going on in the fourth lane? - none of the M25 has only three lanes, save J3-5, which has very little truck traffic. It's clear you are misremembering from the murky past when bits had three lanes without roadworks (which complicate things, and also tell people to "stay in lane").
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:59 PM   #3903
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsteve View Post
Lane drops at M3 J3 and J4 on the Managed Motorways - All Lane Running scheme are sensible. At peak times considerable volumes of traffic enter and exit these junctions. There is not a huge amount of lorry traffic on this part of the M3 either, so lane gains and lane drops at junctions are the best solution. The scheme will not solve one of the big causes of congestion on this part of the M3; Junction 3 cannot cope with the volumes of traffic it handles, and queues from the roundabout stretch back onto the main carriageway daily. The junction needs remodelling into something more efficient.
Like!

In the meantime, before the junction gets improved (if it ever does ), the lane drops provides space for exiting traffic to wait while not interfering with the mainline. As seen in other places on the network - eg the long slips at M25 J8, the long coastbound diverge at M20 J4, the retention of the long off-slip west-bound at M27 J9, etc, etc.

While not enough lanes and not enough of a network of motorway/motorway-esque roads are problems, I'm increasingly of the belief that poor junctions are the greatest issue with the GB Motorway network.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #3904
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

I think the M25 is too busy for lane discipline to be realistic.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #3905
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Once an island, always an island.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #3906
Road_UK
BANNED

The Magic Roundabout (Swindon, UK)

It probably has been posted here before years ago, but I'll just post it again: The Magic Roundabout in Swindon. A series of little roundabouts in one big roudabouts. Negotiating it is easier than it looks...

Old November 6th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3907
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

[head explodes]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #3908
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

So confusing.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #3909
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Cameron to announce £15bn plan to improve UK's 100 road blackspots
The A1 near Newcastle, Pennine crossings and the A303 London to Cornwall road will be upgraded, the PM will tell the CBI

The government is planning to spend £15bn to tackle more than 100 of the most notorious problem hotspots on England’s roads by the end of the decade, David Cameron will announce on Monday.

The prime minister will tell business leaders that hundreds of extra lane miles will be created on motorways and trunk roads as part of a “roads revolution” that will speed up journey times.

Plans to build a tunnel under Stonehenge have reportedly been looked at by the government to help ease congestion on the A303 and the route to the south west from London is among those that is set to benefit from the cash.

Work on stretches of the A1 round Newcastle, roads across the Pennines, the A47 in the east of England and the A27 on the south coast are also in line for funding.

Cameron will tell the CBI’s annual conference in London that the plans for the “biggest, boldest and most far-reaching” upgrade to roads in a generation will be announced in December’s autumn statement.

He is expected to say that there will be more than 100 improvements to our major roads.

“Hundreds of extra lane miles on our motorways and trunk roads. The green light given to major projects that have been stalled for years. Action to improve some of the most important arteries in our country – like the A303 and the A1 – which for too long have held parts of our country back. And all underpinned by over £15bn worth of investment.

“This will be nothing less than a roads revolution – one which will lead to quicker journey times, more jobs, and businesses boosted right across the country.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...oad-blackspots
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #3910
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

How many different Prime Ministers have promised to tunnel under/around stonehenge by now....would be every British PM in the last 30 years except Gordon Brown. ????
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #3911
Road_UK
BANNED

Watch how a Lithuanian lorry makes a dangerous U-turn on the motorway

Video, CCTV, Sky News
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:55 PM   #3912
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

China Central Television??

(I know. But I was just in International Border Crossings....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #3913
Road_UK
BANNED

M25 section in Surrey collapses following roadworks

M25 section in Surrey collapses following roadworks

BBC News

Three lanes of the M25 in Surrey have been closed after a section collapsed and left a large pothole, following overnight roadworks.

Quote:
Surrey Police said many vehicles had been left with damaged tyres after the road surface near Leatherhead fell in during heavy rain at about 05:30 GMT.

Highways workers had to clear concrete debris from the anti-clockwise carriageway near junction nine.

There are 90-minute delays, with queues back to junction 11 at Chertsey.

The slip road at Junction 9 was closed earlier but has since reopened.

A Highways Agency spokesman said: "Concrete repairs being carried out overnight failed to set.

"Maintenance crews had been working overnight to replace three sections of concrete road surface between junctions 9 and 10.

"One of these concrete sections disintegrated and another section was showing signs of distress.

"We have people on the site repairing these sections and we will reopen the closed lanes as soon as it is safe to do so."
More at link provided

piotr71 liked this post
Old November 14th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #3914
Road_UK
BANNED

More pictures of M25 chaos today...
Old November 15th, 2014, 05:22 AM   #3915
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

the damaged road looks like one I pass every day, usually trying to drive on the left side (in English fashion) to not hurt the car so bad...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #3916
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
the damaged road looks like one I pass every day, usually trying to drive on the left side (in English fashion) to not hurt the car so bad...
The Décarie?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 15th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #3917
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Decarie expressway is actually one of the better roads, was repaved. But the "Decarie boulevard" on top is terrible and the ramps on the Turcot are even worse - they scraped off the asphalt down to concrete about a year or so ago (reduce the weight on the crumbling flyovers?) and you hit it pretty hard... or the service roads on A-40, holy hell... I've broken wheels there.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #3918
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Driven the Décarie twice, probably. In 2006 and many years before that. Traffic - and this wasn't rush hour - was a bit, well, hairy.

(Oh, we're OT again.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 1st, 2014, 03:46 AM   #3919
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

Government to invest £15bn in better roads

Apparently a major road construction scheme is coming to UK

Source and full text
Quote:
More than 80 new road schemes, including a long-awaited plan to tunnel under Stonehenge, will be announced on Monday in what ministers describe as the most far-reaching roads programme in decades.

The £15bn initiative, which covers investment lasting up to 2021, will be set out in the government’s first road investment strategy, which also includes improvements to junctions on the M25, to the A27 in Sussex, to approaches to Liverpool, and to the A1 in the north-east of England. It comes as a report from the RAC Foundation predicts there could be an additional 7 million road users in England and Wales – taking the total to 43 million – within 20 years.

The most eye-catching proposal is to spend £2bn turning the A303 into a strategic corridor to the south-west, partly by building a 1.8-mile dual-carriageway tunnel at Stonehenge. The road, which links the M3 to Devon and is known as the “holiday trail”, is notorious for its tailbacks, where frustrated families queue for hours en route to the English Riviera and beyond. The improvements are designed to enable road users to drive on dual carriageway from London to within 15 miles of Land’s End.

Around £1.5bn will also be spent adding an extra lane to certain motorways, turning them into “smart motorways”, where the extra lane can be used to manage traffic, improving links between London, Birmingham, Manchester and Yorkshire.
Old December 1st, 2014, 12:33 PM   #3920
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Is M25 made out of concrete,because it looks like is is?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom