daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2015, 11:25 AM   #4021
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

English Road Retrofitting Plan.

If we look on the previous page we will see a photo of the A27 which is a typical UK A 2+2 road. England has an extensive network of these roads that is larger than the motorway network by a factor of 2 or 3.

A road is not a Motorway and generally has no hard shoulder, there are a few exceptions to the hard shoulder rule, not many.

A plan is being put together to upgrade these seeing as they were often built in sections with roundabouts bloody everywhere and built over time between 1960 and 1985 in the main. This plan was presented to parliament by the English Highways Agency last month and never got a look in here. The election kicked off around then anyway.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...18-routes.html

The key elements are.

1. Remove AT Grade clutter such as traffic lights and roundabouts and replace with grade separated ingress and egress.
2. BAN slow drivers, probably by mandating minimum speed limits of at least 80KPH or 50mph and increasing the speed limit to 110kph or 65mph post grade separation.
3. Add laybys at regular intervals and have a tow out service.

The bad news is that.....this being England we are talking about after all ...it will take until 2040 to finish the program according to the article. Here is a map of the planned schemes.

The Scots have a relatively more ambitious program and are on a 2030 timeline to finish it. Wales has that M4 megascheme to get off the ground, or not, only 2 small sections of the A55 in N Wales could do with a bit of love anyway and the rest of it is good to excellent.

Highway89 liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #4022
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

I'll just note for those who do not know, the suggest speed limit of 65mph, which I'm sceptical about, would apply to single carriageways, where it's currently 60mph and it's 70mph on dual carriageways.

I think that no increase on single carriageways is more likely than an increase to 65mph and that an increase to 70 might even be more likely. I'd be very surprised with a widespread speed limit ending in 5.

I see on there they're suggesting to grade separate the Shrewsbury by-pass, I'd have a party if that happens.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #4023
sponge_bob

65mph or 110kph on dual carriageway sections only Daniel. No change to single carriageway sections. i would assume minimum speed limits would apply to both though and any way of getting doddering grannys in their Micras off the road during peak hours is to be lauded.

Of course by the time the project is anywhere near finished in 2040 as proposed then Google will make granny and her micra travel at the minimum speed whether she likes it or not.
Old April 28th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #4024
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

but then... isn't the normal speed limit on dual carriageway A road 70 mph today? at least between the roundabouts...

sotonsi liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #4025
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
but then... isn't the normal speed limit on dual carriageway A road 70 mph today? at least between the roundabouts...
Nope. It is 98kph or 60mph whether an A Road is 1+1 or 2+2 .

There are a few exceptions where 2+2 A road is built to a higher standard with HS and where 70mph running is allowed. EG the middle section of the A55 is 70MPH and the A55 is one of the more modern 2+2 A Roads in Britain, largely built since 1980.

There are the peculiarly named A(n)M roads which are generally M Roads but not by name. I have no idea why these exist. All are in England I think, the Scots and Welsh have A or M only.
Old April 28th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #4026
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Where are you getting your information from? It is total rubbish and, on this question, dangerous rubbish.

http://www.gov.uk/speed-limits clearly says the dual carriageway limit is 70mph for "Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles" and "Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)". The limit is 60mph on 2+2 A roads for other vehicles, all of which have a 50mph limit (in England and Wales at least) on single carriageways.

Quote:
There are the peculiarly named A(n)M roads which are generally M Roads but not by name.
An(M) roads (note where the brackets) are motorways, but don't have an 'M' number. You almost got it, but your nomenclature is wrong and confusing.
Quote:
I have no idea why these exist.
Because you are incapable of doing a simple internet search: the point is to maintain number continuity when there's a short section of motorway in the middle of the A road, or extending it to a motorway, or just providing a short spur to that A road.

It is to stop (for example): A1-M100-A1-M100-A1-M100-A1-M100 being the route heading north (M100 was a number later given to that corridor should the route become fully motorway as was planned 20 years ago).
Quote:
All are in England I think, the Scots and Welsh have A or M only.
And again, something that is easy to show is rubbish is said. At least this time it's with some weasel words admitting you are totally clueless and incapable of using the search function of the internet, or a map.

The A74(M) is 49 miles of motorway in Scotland (and half a mile in England) - just knocked down to third for length by the M9's 51 miles. The A48(M) exists in Cardiff (and there's the A8(M) in Northern Ireland for good measure).
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #4027
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

The Ax(M) is a bit weird though. In most places (e.g. USA) they would just sign it as Ax without any fanfare.
Old April 29th, 2015, 02:20 AM   #4028
kramer81

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The Ax(M) is a bit weird though. In most places (e.g. USA) they would just sign it as Ax without any fanfare.
There are motorway specific rules, ie certain vehicles are not allowed on them, so the (M) is necessary. Of course it would be simpler just to call the A74(M), the M74 for the whole distance.
kramer81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #4029
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
I'm sorry but that's not true, it's 70mph on a dual carriageway outside an urban area unless posted.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #4030
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
I'm sorry but that's not true, it's 70mph on a dual carriageway outside an urban area unless posted.
If you are in a car or small motorhome it is.

But yes, his 60mph on both is wrong - if your limit is 60mph on dual carriageways, then your limit is 50mph on single carriageways and if your limit is 60mph on single carriageways, then it's 70mph on dual carriageways.
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #4031
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

NI-A8: Coleman's Corner – south of Ballynure (A57) 3.7km (August 2012 to May 2015) – projectmap
NI-A8: north of Ballynure – Millbrook (A36) 7.3km (August 2012 to May 2015) – projectmap

Progress 13 May 2015 (see project page):

Quote:
The entire road is still coned down to one lane with a 40mph speed limit, but the contractor intends to open both lanes in each direction in roughly two weeks' time, at the end of May which is great news.
Pic from project page (8th May):

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #4032
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer81 View Post
There are motorway specific rules, ie certain vehicles are not allowed on them, so the (M) is necessary. Of course it would be simpler just to call the A74(M), the M74 for the whole distance.

A74(M) is really special. It was planned from the beginning to stretch the M6/A74(M)/M74 would be renumbered to just M6. But the Scottish Government does not want the English number M6 on a motorway in Scotland. But why not just renumber the A74(M) to M74? So motorway changing numbers from M6 to M74 on the border between England and Scotland?

Luki_SL liked this post
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #4033
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
So motorway changing numbers from M6 to M74 on the border between England and Scotland?
The change from A74(M) to M74 is very good idea. Is there any formal problems to implement it ?
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #4034
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
A74(M) is really special. It was planned from the beginning to stretch the M6/A74(M)/M74 would be renumbered to just M6. But the Scottish Government does not want the English number M6 on a motorway in Scotland.
Nope. They even put up M6 signs.

A74(M) was a temporary number, so that the journey north of Carlisle didn't flit between M6 and A74 as bypasses were opened as motorway (cf the practice done in England and Wales in the early days - A4(M), A48(M), A40(M), A20(M), A2(M) though not all of these made it onto signs). Scotland managed to get all its bits linked up before England had even started on its short bit.

The A74(M) number stuck as it had been around about 15 years and the SNP-run Scottish Government, for all it's desire to spend spend spend, have specifically said it would be a waste of money to change the signs to M6.
Quote:
But why not just renumber the A74(M) to M74? So motorway changing numbers from M6 to M74 on the border between England and Scotland?
They also said it would be a waste of money to change the signs to M74.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
The change from A74(M) to M74 is very good idea. Is there any formal problems to implement it ?
Cost. Zero benefit beyond appeasing the anally retentive.
Old May 16th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #4035
Chris99

Likes (Received): 1195

Glasgow - Edinburgh: Completing the M8

The upgrade of the A8 between Baillieston and Newhouse to motorway standard is well underway and includes:

2 km of online dual three-lane motorway
5 km of offline dual three-lane motorway
3 km of online dual two-lane motorway
10 km of dual two-lane all purpose road incorporating nearly 5 km of existing A8
16 km of pedestrian/cycle path
Three new motorway junctions at Shawhead, Eurocentral and Chapelhall
Two amended motorway junctions at Baillieston and Newhouse
Two railway bridges, including a new Braehead (Cutty Sark) structure
30 road structures, including a major crossing of the North Calder Water
Capacity improvements on M8 Eastbound, Junction 9 to Baillieston Interchange
Significant environmental mitigation and enhancement works.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...-completing-m8

Luki_SL liked this post
Chris99 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #4036
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
NI-A8: Coleman's Corner – south of Ballynure (A57) 3.7km (August 2012 to May 2015) – projectmap
NI-A8: north of Ballynure – Millbrook (A36) 7.3km (August 2012 to May 2015) – projectmap

Progress 13 May 2015 (see project page):
Quote:
The entire road is still coned down to one lane with a 40mph speed limit, but the contractor intends to open both lanes in each direction in roughly two weeks' time, at the end of May which is great news.
Opened!

Quote:
Progress
1 Jun 2015: All four lanes of the new dual-carriageway were opened to traffic late on Friday evening, 29th May, with the exception of a few hundred metres either side of Shaneshill Road roundabout at the very north end of the scheme. The temporary speed limit was also removed, meaning that vehicles can now travel at up to 70mph along almost all of the road. From the point of view of the traveling public, this marks the “completion” of the scheme - however work will likely continue for a few weeks yet as there is still a lot of ancillary work to be carried out, such as tidying up loose ends, vegetation works etc. A marvelous achievement to the contractor who has been working since August 2012. The DRD Minister did issue a press release on 30 May 2015 which I read, but for some reason it doesn’t appear on the NI Executive Press Releases page so I can't link to it. In that he thanks the traveling public and the contractor and comments that “this important scheme is expected due to be fully completed in early July”. So I think we are about a month or so away from actual completion of the remaining works.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #4037
bogdymol
bogdymod

M25 (London Orbital) seen after take-off from London Heathrow Airport.

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

SE9, simondanut, lafreak84, piotr71, Blackraven liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #4038
MichiH

A465: Tredegar – Brynmawr 7.8km (January 2012 to June 2015 --> July/August 2015) – projectmap

Old June 20th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #4039
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
M25 (London Orbital) seen after take-off from London Heathrow Airport.
It looks like a bizarre very very highly trafficked road running through the middle of rural England.

Rather surreal, but almost right - the rural strip isn't that wide.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old June 21st, 2015, 03:57 AM   #4040
Chris99

Likes (Received): 1195

The Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route / Balmedie to Tipperty (AWPR/B-T) project is under construction.

The road will include:-

58 km of new dual carriageway
40 kilometres of new side roads
30 kilometres of access tracks
12 junctions
2 river crossings at the River Dee and River Don
a bridge over the Aberdeen to Inverness Railway
4 major pipeline crossings
3 wildlife bridges, and
more than 100 other structures.

The DBFO project is costing Ł745 million.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/...medie-tipperty
Chris99 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom