daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #4101
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Report 'likely to back' Sheffield to Manchester road tunnel plan

Plans to build a road tunnel through the Peak District between Sheffield and Manchester are likely to be backed by a key feasibility study.A study led by Highways England is looking at whether a multibillion-pound Trans-Pennine tunnel would be viable. The tunnel could bore under the A628 Woodhead Pass, in a scheme which would reportedly cost £6bn. The BBC understands the study is likely to present a "solid, strategic case for the scheme". The report, which is considering factors including engineering challenges and funding, is expected to be completed by October 2016. An interim report is scheduled to be presented to the Government by the end of this year. A Highways England newsletter has been circulated around groups including local authorities, businesses and tourist groups, detailing the expected outcome of the report. 'Long-term benefits' It says: "The report is likely to conclude that it is feasible to construct a new strategic crossing of the Pennines involving long sections of tunnel and that it is feasible to operate and maintain the infrastructure. "The report is also likely to show there would be significant long-term economic benefits." The study is yet to consider precise routes, but Highways England is understood to be considering several options, including tunneling under the Woodhead Pass. Jonathan Reynolds, MP for Stalybridge and Hyde, has campaigned for better transport links across the Pennines and said a tunnel "would be really welcome". "The traffic between Manchester and Sheffield is terrible. Almost everybody in my constituency has a story to tell about being stuck in it," he said. "To improve the connectivity between the two cities while protecting a national park that means so much to us would be fantastic." However, the Campaign for Better Transport previously described the plans as a "waste of money", claiming that building new roads would increase congestion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-34745620

Last edited by Mateusz; May 3rd, 2016 at 12:44 AM.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2015, 07:49 PM   #4102
bogdymol
bogdymod

I drove about 3 weeks ago on A628. It was a pretty busy stretch of road, with no overpassing opportunities and with scenic landscape.

Are they planning for a full motorway, an expressway (dual carriageway) or just a tunnel and same 2-lane road?

Considering the traffic that I saw, a full motorway would be a little too much. What would fit perfectly to the landscape there and to the traffic requirements, would be an expressway (dual carriageway, without hard shoulder, but with central barrier and preferably without roundabouts but 2-level interchanges).

2 pictures that I took 3 weeks ago on A628:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #4103
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

It's kinda funny that something called Campaign for Better Transport opposes new roads.

Blackraven, Kanadzie, geogregor liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #4104
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
It's kinda funny that something called Campaign for Better Transport opposes new roads.
Must be a group composed of hippies and tree huggers
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #4105
sotonsi

Bus companies
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #4106
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Isnt there an unused rail tunnel or 2 near Buxton?
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 12:21 AM   #4107
Mackem

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Isnt there an unused rail tunnel or 2 near Buxton?
There are disused ex rail tunnels after the closure of the Woodhead railway, however National Grid have just put their high voltage cables through at least one and seem determined not to allow anyone near them. The £6bn scheme would be fantastic, but won't happen - imagine the protests "a motorway through a National Park". This isn't quite true and there is quite a lot of infrastructure in the valley already, but I'm sure the treasury will see this as an ideal opprtunity to shelve this one again.

As regard the traffic stats. due to the 7 day queues in Mottram and Tintwhistle there is a diversionary effect to the M62, this does however add considerable distance and the M62 has it's own over capacity problems to which the Woodhead adds.

Tbh I don't expect to see any improvements here in my lifetime as we really don't have the will in the UK for the kind of schemes seen elsewhere in Europe when it comes to roads.
Mackem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #4108
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackem View Post
Tbh I don't expect to see any improvements here in my lifetime as we really don't have the will in the UK for the kind of schemes seen elsewhere in Europe when it comes to roads.
Well said.
Britain, and especially England, seems to have given up on any significant road building. Only Scots have some big schemes under construction, procurement on in the detailed design phase.
I don't really know why? Outside London and the biggest cities most people still rely on car in this country and there is no sign of that changing in the near future. Population is also growing.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #4109
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19387

Even in London the modal split is about 50/50 car / public transport. Within Outer London, 77% of trips are by car.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #4110
bogdymol
bogdymod

I can also confirm, after thousands of miles driven across UK, that most of the roads/motorways are almost always very crowded, some of them close to their capacity limits almost daily.
Old November 10th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #4111
sponge_bob

So are the main A Roads. The A14 is horrendous and the A12 and A13 are nearly as bad. Only the Scots are improving their network in a meaningful way as Geogregor already said.

Even Ireland is building more new motorway nowadays. 80km of it at present up from 0km during the crash in 2011 and 2012
Old November 10th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #4112
bogdymol
bogdymod

How about Northern Ireland?

Every time when I drove at the western end of M22 / A6 I got stuck in a traffic jam where the road merges to 1 lane. A6 to Londonderry was full of vehicles most of the time...
Old November 10th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #4113
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19147

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post

Every time when I drove at the western end of M22 / A6 I got stuck in a traffic jam where the road merges to 1 lane. A6 to Londonderry was full of vehicles most of the time...
Northern Ireland has its own set of problems. It seems that at the moment its politicians can't agree on anything, let alone plan for the future.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 01:54 AM   #4114
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

NI seems amazing today compared to the recent past though
Old November 11th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #4115
sponge_bob

The roads are average in NI. They were great by European standards at that time when the troubles started in 1969. Sadly the NI politicians are all below average and have no long term vision between them.

Easier to fix English roads.
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:20 PM   #4116
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

There are very advanced plans to fix that bit and to dual the road as far as Magherafelt. There were problems with the design of the road and they had to have a number of inquiries into it. It will be a question of funding, but it seems to be a priority.
garethni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #4117
bogdymol
bogdymod

Ok, they'll do it. But when? Next year or is it included in the 20-years plan?
Old November 11th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #4118
sotonsi

Wesley Johnston (who is the go-to-guy on NI road projects) reckons it will be the next scheme to be approved - it is now literally just waiting for the financial green light.
http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/....html#progress
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #4119
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:

NI might be the part of the UK that has come closest to the original 1970s motorway plans -at least in spirit, because many roads have ended up being dual carriageways instead of motorways. But for such a small territory, the road network there is quite decent.

There are parts of the UK, such as everything in Wales between the North and the South coast, which are stuck in the 1960s, road-wise. No bypasses, no dual carriageways, not even big roundabouts with 87 signals . Some (trunk) roads date from the early 19th century, and bridges are often older. I reckon there's a certain charm on it, but still...

geogregor liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #4120
garethni

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Wesley Johnston (who is the go-to-guy on NI road projects)
http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/....html#progress
If anyone ever gets the chance to read his book on the urban motorways (and the abandoned plans etc, eventual piecemeal building) in Belfast it is well worth it. link
garethni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom