daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #4141
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Severe flooding in NW England has caused part of the M62 to collapse along the westbound carriageway between junction 20 Rochdale and junction 19 Middleton.

Lucky it is christmas and traffic is low for the next week or so.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2016, 07:31 AM   #4142
AvB

Likes (Received): 305

del

Last edited by AvB; January 5th, 2016 at 08:20 AM.
AvB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #4143
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

How is it going with the rebuilding of A1 to A1(M) from Barton to Leeming now? What are they going to do with the famous junction Scotch Corner? Do they have to take of the bridges over the road and build new ones?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #4144
AvB

I know that the quality is not impressive, signs are not perfect but this is my first movie. Suggestions , comments and even criticism welcome.

Video speed x3.6 (29.12.2015)
From A5080 (Liverpool Edge Ln Drive) to M62/M6 (motorway interchange)

Highway89, devo liked this post

Last edited by AvB; January 6th, 2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old January 7th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #4145
devo

Likes (Received): 41

I think this video with its content serves the purpose just fine, sometimes the signs disappear a bit too fast but one can just pause it. If you just find the original font (It's called Transport, just google it.) and do rounded white borders with correct thickess and keep all the signs the same relative size you're all done. You could also try to place the overhead signs at the top of the video.

I'm guessing that most of the labour goes into making every single sign, the template is more of a one time job

Keep the videos coming!

AvB liked this post
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #4146
AvB

part II.

contains several suggestions devo , but in this video I used the old road signs and it is without the "transport font".

I will try to create new road signs and insert a map to the beginnig(definitely looks better)

From M62 (J10)/M6 (interchange) to M6 (junction19)
Old January 16th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #4147
Leedsrule

Likes (Received): 582

Weird question, but ive thought about it for a while:

Is Woking the largest town in the UK without an A road running through it, or within, say, 5km of the town centre? By that I mean primary routes, the ones with the green signs.

Although the borough has 100,000 people in it, it doesnt have a motorway junction. It crosses the M25 in Byfleet but to actually get onto it you need to go north. It's slightly further from the A3, M3 and A331, none of which the borough actually touches, and the roads to those are even worse.

Woking BC argues that it's road links are great, but although geographically its well placed between Gatwick and Heathrow, it's actually not easy to get in and out of. There are no dual carriageways once youre off the M25/M3/A3, just miles of normal roads (the largest town without dual carriageway access?) and the traffic can be awful.

Would be interesting to hear people's opinions.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.31...2,12.75z?hl=en
Leedsrule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #4148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

That seems like a very poor road network to serve a city of that size. It appears that A320 to M25 is the main road in and out of Woking. A247 to A3 runs almost entirely through built-up area.

Many areas within Greater London (inside M25) have a similarly low-standard road network though. Judging from Google Earth, places like Croydon or Bromley don't seem to be much better off.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #4149
sotonsi

Woking isn't that size though - the borough is, but that's like saying that Leeds has 700k people (as it includes Wetherby) or the M27 passes through Winchester. Woking has about 62k - OK, that's fairly big still, but heh.

Woking has several motorway junctions - M3 J3, M25 J11, a couple of junctions on the A3 (both just the other side of M25 J10). Sure, they are a couple of miles away, but the people of Woking rejected the motorway that would pass closer to them, the M31, like they did most other improvements. The M25 one involves very little driving in built up area between the motorway and town centre.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #4150
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A320 carries 25,000 vehicles per day between Woking and Ottershaw, according to the Department for Transport. That's pretty high for a regular two-lane road.
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #4151
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A320 carries 25,000 vehicles per day between Woking and Ottershaw, according to the Department for Transport. That's pretty high for a regular two-lane road.
Indeed, but it's par for the course for that part of the world. And at least there's no level crossings near Woking, unlike the area north of the M3! Or the River Thames getting in the way, like the area just inside the M25 - the bridges in the Weybridge area make 25k for a two-lane road seem pretty decent!

It's not "great" as Leedsrule claims Woking BC claim, but neither is it that bad. There's plenty worse in the area.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #4152
Leedsrule

Likes (Received): 582

Thanks for the replies.

The 100,000 figure quoted was for the borough of Woking which includes the built up area around Woking: Horsell, Knaphill ect. The 'town' has 67,000 yes. Weybridge, by comparison, has just 15,000 people.

The A320 to the north is alright, it's the only way out of Woking without coming across a mini-roundabout or a speedhump. But still, it's almost all regular 2-lane and the roundabout at Ottershaw is pretty tight.

Other area's may have more traffic like Croydon, but that still has two primary routes running through it, the A23 and the A232. Bromley is a better example, I didn't notice it before actually, but even that has 3 primary routes closer than any of Woking's and the actual town of Bromley is very small. The borough is huge, but thats because it covers a huge area almost 3 times larger than Woking's borough.

Finally, Woking may be signposted on several motorway junctions but none are very close to the town itself. The M25 junction is over 7km from the town, the A3 junction is slightly less as the bird flies but is 8km by road, and they are poor roads. The M3 is significantly further, especially if you take the signposted route.

Besides, although other places may have more traffic and may be harder to get out of, central London for example, they are still either far smaller than Woking or served by major A roads or motorways. My initial question was, are there any towns or cities larger than Woking which aren't served by a primary route (or a dual carriageway)?
Leedsrule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #4153
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Introducing Wanksy. Wanksy is British "Road Artist" with around 25000 Facebook Followers. His speciality as an Artist is to paint penises around potholes on British Roads. Lots of penises.

Wanksky was busy yesterday, National Pothole Day in the UK. British potholes cost motorists over €1bn a year according to that link.

You can keep up with Wanksy Here > https://www.facebook.com/WanksyRoadArtist So can the local authorities who are supposed to fill the bloody things in.
Old January 16th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #4154
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Now that Banksy has become far too much of a pompous jerk, I wholeheartedly support Wanksy!

I love some articles...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-f...-potholes.html
Quote:
“The actions of this individual are not only stupid but incredibly insulting to local residents,” a spokesperson for Bury council said.

“Has this person, for just one second, considered how families with young children must feel when they are confronted with these obscene symbols as they walk to school? Not only is this vandalism, but it’s also counter-productive.
I'm sure the children at least are laughing their asses off

geogregor liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #4155
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Now that Banksy has become far too much of a pompous jerk, I wholeheartedly support Wanksy!

I love some articles...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-f...-potholes.html

I'm sure the children at least are laughing their asses off
Brilliant!
And the comment from the councillor is so funny I couldn't stop laughing.

His biggest concern is that the graffiti "offend families with children" rather than fact that the potholes can seriously injure, for example cyclists
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #4156
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Many areas within Greater London (inside M25) have a similarly low-standard road network though. Judging from Google Earth, places like Croydon or Bromley don't seem to be much better off.
Ringways would have made them well connected to the London network.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #4157
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Brilliant!
And the comment from the councillor is so funny I couldn't stop laughing.

His biggest concern is that the graffiti "offend families with children" rather than fact that the potholes can seriously injure, for example cyclists
That's unfortunately the best British reply one can ever get. An entire country can go to shit as long as you don't offend anyone...

geogregor, Kanadzie liked this post
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:16 PM   #4158
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lower Thames Crossing

The public consultation for the Lower Thames Crossing has started.

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace...g-consultation

The preferred alternative:

The Lower Thames Crossing would be a 70 mph dual carriageway with a bored tunnel under the River Thames on the east side of Gravesend. It would link M2 and M25. It would be tolled with the same toll rates as the Dartford Crossing. The cost is projected at 4.3 - 5.9 billion GBP, with a cost-benefit ratio of 2.3 - 3.4
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #4159
bogdymol
bogdymod

That would significantly help congestion around Dartford crossing. All traffic coming from the Channel and heading to north UK would use this new link.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #4160
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, and it would also provide a more reliable link across the Thames. Currently the Dartford Crossing is the only fixed link east of London, with a high accident rate.

Expanding the Dartford Crossing would help, but not as much as a new link, plus the Lower Thames Crossing would provide an alternative route. The current Dartford Crossing is considered to have one of the poorest records of reliability of the strategic road network.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom