daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2016, 10:52 AM   #4241
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19387

That will be a huge parking area.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

PortoNuts liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:09 AM   #4242
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7483

Quote:
Race restarts for northern highways upkeep

Highways England has started the firing gun for the second time on the race to maintain roads in the north of England.

The agency is planning to let its newly-framed maintenance and response contracts covering North West area 13 and North East area 14 after cancelling the previous round of bidding.

Highways England announced it had abandoned procurement of asset support style contracts for these regions over a year ago, in favour of bringing control of area maintenance and minor build works in-house.

Area 1 and Area 2 are also to be delivered under the new regime, after previous bid submissions were also under-bid by contractors.

Highways England is aiming to let the maintenance and repairs-only contracts for up to 15 years, with reviews every three years for modifications to the winning contractor’s accepted plan.

It aims to appoint a winning firm to start the new regime on 14 December, running until April 2032 if all goes to plan.

New estimated costing for upkeep covers a broad annual spending spread of £8.75m-£27.5m in area 13, which covers roads in Cumbria and parts of Lancashire, while area 14 covering Northumberland, Tyne & Wear, Durham and North Yorkshire is estimated to have a £6.2m-£33.5m annual spend.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...ghways-upkeep/
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:38 PM   #4243
PortoNuts

Quote:
Mott jv wins £50m A96 dualling design

Transport Scotland will award a contract worth up to £50m to a Mott MacDonald Sweco joint venture for detailed design for dualling the 29-mile western section of the A96 between Auldearn and Fochabers.

Subject to the mandatory standstill period, the joint venture will start design work on the project next month.

The pairing beat three rival bidder Aecom, Amey/Arup and CH2M/Fairhurst.

New minister for transport & islands, Humza Yousaf said: “We remain steadfast in our commitment to upgrade Scotland’s trunk road network which includes dualling the entire length of the A96, some 86 miles of upgraded road between Inverness and Aberdeen, by 2030.

“This major design contract marks a further milestone towards the dualling of the A96 with all the investment and improvements that it will bring to local economies right across the north of Scotland.

“This contract will also provide a huge boost for the local and national economy, with the successful bidder securing steady work for years to come and many more opportunities for small and medium enterprises through subcontracted work.

“We also remain on track to finalise the preferred option for the A96 Dualling Inverness to Nairn (including Nairn Bypass) scheme, with draft Orders due to be published later this year.”

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...alling-design/
Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:34 PM   #4244
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Still weird that the A1 hasn't been dualled yet between Edinburgh and Newcastle and this gets priority.

devo liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 02:02 PM   #4245
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19147

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Still weird that the A1 hasn't been dualled yet between Edinburgh and Newcastle and this gets priority.
Scotland runs its transport policy separately from England, which helps them a lot.

Very little is happening in England roadwise. I wonder if there is any other country in Europe with less roads being build or widened. (apart from the likes of Luxembourg, Andorra or Vatican )
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 03:28 PM   #4246
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They widened a lot of stretches with 'smart motorway' schemes. Granted, it is done on the cheap, but at least they're adding much-needed capacity.

Belgium is another country with almost no progress to address congestion and missing links, this has been that way for decades now. Brussels and Antwerp traffic congestion is rapidly becoming some of the worst in Europe.
Old June 4th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #4247
AvB

Likes (Received): 305

Rush hour & English weather

(M25)LOM J14 - (M40) J8A (x3.2)

PortoNuts liked this post
AvB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 03:01 PM   #4248
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Small-ish 'new-news' about the A12:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwaysIndustry.com
Concerned residents have received a letter notifying them of surveys investigating the expansion of the A12. The plans, announced in September 2015, are part of a £2 billion investment strategy in the regions roads.

The stretch between Chelmsford and the A120, from junction 19 at Boreham to junction 25 at Marks Tey, will be widened to three lanes of traffic with the hopes of improving safety and reducing congestion – the work could take until 2023 to be completed. Recently residents in Rivenhall, Witham and Kelvedon have received letters from Highways England explaining that environmental surveys will soon be taking place near their properties.

James Abbot, Chairman of Rivenhall Parish Council, said: "I have spoken to Highways England and asked for an explanation because they have put the frighteners on people by distributing the letters so far into the village. We have asked to be kept informed of what is happening, our point is they should have given some warning to the Parish Council – for this letter to turn up out of the blue is scary".

<snip>

A Highways England spokesman said: "Our plans to improve the A12 is in its very early stages. In order to develop options for the scheme, which will inform our initial designs, we require more detailed information and will be carrying out non-intrusive survey work on the A12. We have informed local people, stakeholders and landowners about our work".

http://www.highwaysindustry.com/surv...anes-to-three/
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #4249
Liverbird1

Likes (Received): 442

Ok so this is another project i've been working on - not Liverpool Underground related.

This is my UK Motorway Expansion Masterplan.

How i think Britain's motorway network should be expanded in the coming decades to cope with the demands and challenges of the 21st Century and to keep Britain moving.

What i have proposed would more than double the size of the existing motorway network and tripling the amount of motorway service stations.

Click on the link below to zoom in and click on the blue lines and symbols to tell your what motorway / junction / service station it is.

The map is best viewed in satellite.

Let me know what you think :-)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...R9TiLQLq1zQY2s

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131305...posted-public/

EasySeven liked this post
Liverbird1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 11:49 AM   #4250
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Besides the fact it will never happen (even less so in urban areas), that network is what should be in place now. I like how you got rid of all those Axx(M) but A57(M), and even so I would delete it as it would be redundant to your proposed M600 (That or make it part of M67).
I feel M120 is a bit too important to have a 3 digit number, I would make it M14. Same with M565 but in that case there aren't better numbers avalaible.
And if M5 goes all the way to Penzance, why M56 doesn't go to Holyhead? Or M4 to Fishguard? OK, the latter may not be needed.
I would make M16 a full circle around London.
And last but not least: How you dare not to include in your plans a M41???

And that's all. I like how three motorways would run into 3 digit exit numbers under this plan (M1, M5, M6).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Liverbird1 liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #4251
Liverbird1

Likes (Received): 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Besides the fact it will never happen (even less so in urban areas), that network is what should be in place now. I like how you got rid of all those Axx(M) but A57(M), and even so I would delete it as it would be redundant to your proposed M600 (That or make it part of M67).
I feel M120 is a bit too important to have a 3 digit number, I would make it M14. Same with M565 but in that case there aren't better numbers avalaible.
And if M5 goes all the way to Penzance, why M56 doesn't go to Holyhead? Or M4 to Fishguard? OK, the latter may not be needed.
I would make M16 a full circle around London.
And last but not least: How you dare not to include in your plans a M41???

And that's all. I like how three motorways would run into 3 digit exit numbers under this plan (M1, M5, M6).
Thanks for the constructive criticism, some very good shouts there!

The A57(M) should just be M67

The M120 should definitely be M14 (why didn't I think of that ) as you say, it is a very important motorway.

I was thinking renaming the M40 to M41 and have Birmingham's Orbital motorway as M40 instead of M44 (same as other City Ring Roads: M50 - Liverpool, M60 - Manchester, M70 - Edinburgh, M80 - Glasgow)

I looked hard at completing the M16 into a full circle, but it's virtually impossible, the A406 North Circular can't be upgraded because there are people driveways literally on it along with bus stops and everything - I've upgraded it as far as I possibly can really.

I think I've taken the M56 the furthest west I can too on an upgraded A55. Once you get past Llandudno on the Conwy side the tunnels are windy and tight especially the eastbound carriageway - definitely not motorway potential and too crazy to dig another tunnel for the sake of it. Also there is no alternative to the A55 for non-motorway traffic between Conwy and Bangor, so an upgrade there would be out the question really.

With the M5, the A38 is horrific west of Plymouth, I've taken that on a new bridge over the Tamar and on a completely new alignment from Plymouth to Bodmin. From there is a mixture of online upgrade and offline new. Once the new M5 hits Bodmin, I've upgraded the A30 from to Carland Cross, then took the motorway on a new alignment to Chiverton Cross where it rejoins the A30, upgrading that section to Connor Downs, where a dual 2 lane M5 would continue on a new alignment the extra 10 miles or so down to Penzance.
Liverbird1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #4252
AvB

(M40) J8A - Warwick Services (x3.2)

Old June 13th, 2016, 10:22 AM   #4253
PortoNuts

Quote:
Trio wanted for £500m London roads framework

Transport for London has launched the search for three contractors to deliver major highways improvement projects over the next four years.

Selected firms will deliver a £400-£500m pipeline of major highways redevelopment schemes and TfL’s Structure and Tunnels Investment Portfolio (STIP) 2 projects.

Contractors with places on the first STIP framework included Balfour Beatty, Bam Nuttall, Costain, Hochtief and Skanska.

Under the new framework successful bidders will be expected to deliver civil engineering design, pre-construction and works for the enhancement or refurbishment of highways and associated structures and tunnels. The tunnel works include renewal of mechanical and electrical systems.

Bidders will have to provide full details of their proposed contracting structures, including key subcontractors.

With a strong engineering design element TfL expects bids from consortia or joint ventures places on the Surface Transport Major Projects Framework.

Because the projects could have long lead in times TfL is aiming four a four-year arrangement with the option to extend for two years.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...ads-framework/
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #4254
AvB

Quote:
Average Speed Enforcement (ASE) Cameras to be switched on

New ASE cameras will be installed and switched on in Birmingham and Solihull on July 18, it has been confirmed.

A plan to reintroduce camera speed enforcement on the roads of Birmingham and Solihull was formally agreed late last year and now the final preparations are complete, the cameras are ready to be installed after three years since obsolete wet film devices were last used locally.

Project partners from Birmingham City Council (BCC), Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council (SMBC), West Midlands Police (WMP) and the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner have decided to adopt a system using average speed cameras because historically compliance with speed limits is far better than with mobile or fixed-point cameras.

The new cameras detect vehicles through Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) and calculate their average speed by measuring the time taken to travel between defined points of a known distance apart. A clear signing strategy is used to inform drivers that they are entering an average speed control zone.

Superintendent Kerry Blakeman, from West Midlands Police, said: “Our intention is for people to adhere to the speed limit. Those who exceed the limit will have to attend a speed awareness course where they will be educated about the dangers of speeding or face either an appearance at court or a fine and points on their licence.

We hope that the presence of these highly visible cameras will ensure that road users comply with the set limits on roads in Birmingham and Solihull.”

Latest figures show that in the years 2010-2014, there were 2,356 people killed or seriously injured in Birmingham and Solihull, an average of 471.2 per year.

Cllr Stewart Stacey, Cabinet Member for Transport and Roads at Birmingham City Council, said: “I want a clear message to be heard by the region’s motorists – I’m not Bob Geldof, I don’t want you to “give us your money”, I just want you to comply with the speed limits that are there to improve safety for everyone who uses the roads of Birmingham and Solihull.

“Most people will see no impact to their overall journey time as this is all about enforcing speed limits that already exist on the roads in question – all of which are routes with a significant record for accidents historically.

“It will only be the minority who continually exceed the speed limit and endanger others who will be caught by our adoption of this new modern technology.”

The cameras will be located across Birmingham and Solihull and will be operational for a term of five years. There will be an initial 21-month evaluation phase to assess the effectiveness of the cameras, equipment and the overall system. The initial pilot at these routes will do much to help inform the wider efforts to make the region’s roads as safe as they can possibly be.

Cllr Ted Richards, Cabinet Member for Transport and Highways, at Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council, added: “This new digital technology will play a very important role in keeping the region’s roads safe. Thousands of people use the roads through Birmingham and Solihull every day and any work that local authorities can do to keep them safe is certainly positive.

“The cameras, and associated signs, are very noticeably; the only people being caught are those who choose to ignore them.”
West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner David Jamieson said: “I promised that I would improve road safety and do all I could to reduce the number of injuries and deaths on our roads. That is why I am pleased that these safety cameras are being delivered. Speed is one of the biggest causes of deaths on the road and one of the biggest issues that local people raise with me on a daily basis.

“Birmingham and Solihull are installing the cameras and the police are supporting them by processing and enforcing the fines. This shows that we are on the side of the overwhelming majority of motorists who drive safely and sensibly.”

The routes of the digital average speed cameras are as follows:

Birmingham routes
A38 Bristol Road between Priory Road and Speedwell Road – 30mph
A456 Hagley Road between Portland Road and Lordswood Road – 30mph
A4540 New John Street between Lucas Circus and Hospital Street – 30mph
A34 Newtown Row Northbound between New John Street West and Newbury Road – 30mph
A45 Coventry Road between Berkley Road and Rowland Road/Steyning Road – 40mph
Solihull routes
B425 Lode Lane (between Henley Crescent and Moat Lane) – 30mph
B4114 Bradford Road / Chester road (in the vicinity of the junction) – 30mph
A3400 Stratford Road, Hockley Heath – 30mph

The proposed routes chosen have been based on the following criteria:
- There is a history of collisions and casualties at the camera site zone.
- Speed surveys indicate that speeding vehicles is an issue.
- There is no realistic and appropriate engineering solution that can be installed at the location to reduce collisions and vehicles exceeding the speed limit.

Speed cameras in the West Midlands – recent history
In April 2013 West Midlands Police [WMP] informed the public that speed cameras across the metropolitan area would be switched off until such time as a suitable digital solution could be found. WMP remain committed to road safety and has been targeting dangerous and, speeding motorists through the use of state-of-the-art mobile cameras.

A task group comprising officers from BCC, SMBC, WMP and AECOM have been scoping and developing the project phasing. The pilot is to consist of the installation, operation and maintenance of the digital safety cameras initially in Birmingham and Solihull.

Source: WMP
Old June 15th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #4255
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Those who exceed the limit will have to attend a speed awareness course where they will be educated about the dangers of speeding
A vacation in Germany?

Sentilj, devo liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 06:25 AM   #4256
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Speaking of speed limits in the UK, I think the highest is 70 MPH (or 113 KM/H) for major roadways like the M6 Roadway from Manchester

Then tolerance is about 10 percent plus 2 MPH (or 3 KPH)

Do you get penalized for going at 90 MPH (145 KMH)???
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #4257
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

well of course, 70 x 1.1 2 + = 79 not 90
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #4258
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Do you need to attend this speed awareness course even for small offences? Like a few miles over the limit?
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #4259
bogdymol
bogdymod

I think it's just an option (you must not go, but might lower your fine). We received a fine in the company I work for for one of our cars as it was driving 66 in a 50 mph zone, and, on the document the company has to fill and send back (with the driver's details), it was also an option to tick if we are interested in a speed awareness course.

The next day after the first fine came, 6 others came for the same car, on the same road. It's the road between the workers accommodation and the construction site they work on...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #4260
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do you need to attend this speed awareness course even for small offences? Like a few miles over the limit?
If they do you, and you aren't that much over the limit (I can't remember the exact guideline, though a few mph over the limit is usually within the guidelines of not bothering to prosecute, and this one is a bit higher than that) then you can do it rather than get the points (it costs more than the fine, plus you have to take a day off work, but points could mean losing your job). You can only do it once.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom