daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #4321
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

From Edinburgh to Thurso or from civilization to the absolute emptiness.

Video 2: Northernmost motorway in the UK and northernmost motorway-to-motorway interchange.

Video 3: Northernmost dual carriageway in the UK and northernmost bypass.

metasmurf, Luki_SL, ilyan, Corvinus liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #4322
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Also, here are two samples of what driving in the Scottish northwest Highlands is like. Nothing I've seen compares to it in any way I can think of . It's like driving in another planet. A beautiful, empty, windy one.

Highway89, ilyan, Jonesy55, Luki_SL liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #4323
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
From Edinburgh to Thurso or from civilization to the absolute emptiness.
Sweet memories. My first time ever driving in the UK (or any left-sided country for that matter, or any country using miles) was from Thurso to Inverness, back in the days when there still was a ferry service from Norway.

It was midnight and apart from those arriving by the same ferry, the road was absolutely empty for most part. Driving for tens of kilometres on the left side without seeing anyone (except my wife on the passenger seat) felt kind of insane, especially at 60 mph or 98 km/h (compared to a similar road in Finland or Norway, which would probably be 80 km/h). It felt like a game, "How long can we go like this before the police stops us..."

Last edited by OulaL; November 19th, 2016 at 10:46 PM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 11:56 AM   #4324
roaddor
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5477

Are there any plans to connect by motorway Edinburgh with Newcastle and then further south through Peterborough to Cambridge?

Also what about a potential motorway London-Ipswich-Norwich-Great Yarmouth?
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #4325
strandeed

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddor View Post
Are there any plans to connect by motorway Edinburgh with Newcastle and then further south through Peterborough to Cambridge?

No... The North East of England is one of the most neglected areas in the country.

There are plans to dual the A1 from Morpeth to Ellingham just past Alnwick, but no plans to even finish dualling the road as far as Berwick, let alone Edinburgh.

Between Ellingham and Berwick a few minor improvements such as passing lanes are planned.

http://roads.highways.gov.uk/project...orthumberland/

The length of time/cost it takes for anything to be built in the UK is simply staggering. (6 years from being approved/money assigned to construction start date)

roaddor liked this post
strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #4326
roaddor
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandeed View Post
No... The North East of England is one of the most neglected areas in the country.

There are plans to dual the A1 from Morpeth to Ellingham just past Alnwick, but no plans to even finish dualling the road as far as Berwick, let alone Edinburgh.

Between Ellingham and Berwick a few minor improvements such as passing lanes are planned.

http://roads.highways.gov.uk/project...orthumberland/

The length of time/cost it takes for anything to be built in the UK is simply staggering. (6 years from being approved/money assigned to construction start date)
OK I see, it means less than 10 mln.euro/km if we take the corresponding distance in kilometers. It is typical for the high quality in the end.
I remember 12 years ago I saw a primary two-lane road to be repaired in England which was actually spotless.
Old November 20th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #4327
sotonsi

Quote:
Doncaster-Newcastle as motorway is mostly complete, and the gaps are on the radar. Peterborough-Alconbury is motorway, with Alconbury-Cambridge about to have construction on upgrading to D3 start (and Baldock-Alconbury is being talked about as a motorway due to the need to bypass the 1950s Dual Carriageway).

The bit between Peterborough and Doncaster needs some minor improvements, but motorway conversion isn't justified as it's fully grade separated and not congested.
Quote:
Essex is pushing central Government for London-Colchester. North of there is unlikely.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #4328
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
There is basically no chance of any motorway in this area. In fact there hasn't been a new motorway anywhere in Southern England (population: 28 million) in the last 20 years!
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #4329
roaddor
In the brig

Thanks. A1 between Peterborough and Doncaster, being an expressway, is a very good complement to the parallel M1.

Now I see that Norwich is connected to Cambridge with the A11 expressway.

Regarding the M23 extention towards Brighton, is it going to be upgraded to the coast or it will remain like A23 without hard shoulders?
Old November 21st, 2016, 01:38 AM   #4330
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryme Intrinseca View Post
There is basically no chance of any motorway in this area. In fact there hasn't been a new motorway anywhere in Southern England (population: 28 million) in the last 20 years!
err, what's that (1km long) bit of road linking the M25 to Heathrow???
Quote:
Regarding the M23 extention towards Brighton, is it going to be upgraded to the coast or it will remain like A23 without hard shoulders?
I think this is a perfectly acceptable standard (D3 south to the A2300, then D2) and there's no reason to do more than maybe a couple more localised alignment improvements (though I think those needed have been done).

Ryme Intrinseca, roaddor liked this post
Old November 21st, 2016, 11:44 AM   #4331
strandeed

Likes (Received): 108

When I see a grade separated road built without a shoulder I feel like slapping the highways agency with a wet fish

Kanadzie, Stavros86, devo liked this post
strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #4332
Ryme Intrinseca

Nice video of the nearly-complete Catthorpe (M6/A14) upgrade posted by Alderpoint in the SABRE forum:

You get a good look at the new freeflow ramps starting around 1.45.

Luki_SL liked this post

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; January 14th, 2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old November 28th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #4333
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Is Catthorpe the section of A14 built as an M1/M6 LINK ONLY 20 years back or is it an older section.?
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #4334
Ryme Intrinseca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Is Catthorpe the section of A14 built as an M1/M6 LINK ONLY 20 years back or is it an older section.?
Yes, Catthorpe is where the M1 and M6 meet, with the A14 tacked on in the 90s. This scheme finally puts a proper freeflow junction there.

Further down the A14, the Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme just started construction. At £1.5bn this is the largest current road project in England by some distance.

sponge_bob liked this post
Old December 5th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #4335
Ryme Intrinseca

Consultation on the M25 J10 (Wisley) improvement has opened. Highways England are seeking feedback on two options (priced at £215m and £153m), as well as a third rejected option (£340m):

The '4 level flyover' would be okay. The 'elongated roundabout' option is just comically bad for the indicated price. Predictably, given the UK's infamous aversion to freeflowing interchanges, the rejected option is the only full freeflow design.

Luki_SL liked this post

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; December 5th, 2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old December 5th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #4336
sotonsi

The 4-level one might be slightly cheaper if they don't keep the 4 now-redundant slip roads (A3 off-slips, M25 on-slips) as otherwise they have to bridge-over two of them. It could also do with some sort of separation for vunerable users as it seems surreal that the 4 movements left on the roundabout will have to deal with pegasus crossings (albeit at already-signalised junctions), while the other 4 movements are free-flow.
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #4337
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I think there was no opening of any new motorway or motorway-like road in 2016. However, a lot of openings have been planned for 2017. I've checked the project pages to get updated expected opening/completion dates (delays in red):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A21: Tonbridge – Pembury 2.7km (January 2015 to Late March 2017) – projectmap
April 2015 Start of works
Summer 2017 End of works

Quote:
A556: Bowdon (M56) – Over Tabley (M6) 7.5km (November 2014 to Late March 2017) – projectmap
Early 2017 Finishing works
Early 2017 New road open to traffic
Autumn/Winter 2017 Detrunking works
End March 2017 Completion

Quote:
M90: Queensferry Crossing 4km (September 2011 to May 2017) – projectmap
Scotland’s biggest transport infrastructure project in a generation is scheduled for completion May 2017.

Quote:
A90: Tipperty – Blackdog 12.0km (February 2015 to Spring 2017) – projectmap
A90: Blackdog – Kingswells-North 16.1km (February 2015 to Late 2017) – projectmap
A90: Kingswells-North – Cleanhill 12.2km (February 2015 to Late 2017) – projectmap
A90: Cleanhill – Stonehaven 11.5km (February 2015 to Late 2017) – projectmap
A956: Cleanhill – Cove Bay 6.5km (February 2015 to Late 2017) – projectmap
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...tland-38288988

Quote:
The Balmedie to Tipperty section of Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route was due to be completed by Spring 2017, but this has now been put back until the end of that year.The AWPR project as a whole is due to be finished in Spring 2018.
Quote:
A1(M): Barton – Leeming 19.3km (February 2014 to Late June 2017) – projectmap
Start date: March 2014
End date: June 2017

Quote:
M8: Baillieston – Newhouse 9.7km (2014 to 2017) – projectmap
Couldn't find any estimated opening date

Quote:
A465: Brynmawr – Gilwern 8.1km (December 2014 to 2017) – projectmap
Start date: End 2014
End date: Mid 2018

Quote:
A533: Widnes (A562) – Astmoor (A558) 4.8km (May 2014 to Fall 2017) – projectmap
Work started on the Mersey Gateway Project on 7 May 2014. In autumn 2017 a new six lane toll bridge over the Mersey between the towns of Runcorn and Widnes will open.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #4338
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Have any additional projects for new motorway or expressway-like roads been started in 2016 or are expected to be started in 2017?
Have I missed any relevant 2016 opening?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #4339
sotonsi

I don't think these are worth dealing with as they are short (<1km of new underpass on each)
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/road-schemes/a...road-junction/
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/road-schemes/m74-j5-improvement/

This one has a little bit of new expressway like road (the current A555 expressway will be extended one junction at either end as the existing terminal junctions become GSJs) - I'm not sure I'd count it, but you might
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/road-schemes/a...grove-poynton/

This one does count, but it's still just prep works (tree-felling, fencing, archaeological surveys, setting up the works site), so I'd call it a 2017 start.
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/road-schemes/a...ton-ellington/

This one is a March 2015 start (and 2017 opening), I don't know why I didn't add it to the list when I came up with the other schemes - maybe the Higher Carblake access? - anyway it should be included.
http://www.cbrd.co.uk/road-schemes/a...gher-carblake/

Some of this A9 scheme might be relevant now/soon, other bits not for a few years, but I'm not sure how grade-separated and access-controlled it is.
http://www.transport.gov.scot/projec...erth-inverness

---

As an aside, we've had a load of widening/smart motorway schemes - doubling down on the roads we currently have, rather than building new ones - hence why we don't have much on the list.

MichiH liked this post
Old January 10th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #4340
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

This smart-motorway scheme would have been the best thing in the UK. A modem network that could compare with the efficiency in providing information and accurate traffic detection,comparable of those in the Netherlands and France. But they can't even do that right,which makes this "smart" motorway upgrade the biggest farce in history after Brexit. False information, unnecessarsly messing with free flow of traffic;false warnings of incidents and no accurate information on length and duration of traffic jams. Automated signs even warn about congestion ahead when they're no more than three vehicles on an entire stretch of road. Classic British cowboy work at its best!

Colin145 liked this post
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom