daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #421
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Here's a simulator from CBRD, if people are interested in British directional signs.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/sim/
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #422
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
In mainland UK, we have 'NORTH WALES' and 'SOUTH WALES' as regional destinations.
and MID WALES
Quote:
I've never seen a 'SCOTLAND' sign, I think just the normal compass points and town/city destinations are used, though I don't know for sure.
IIRC, the M6 north of j42 has them, along with the A74 to the border.

IRELAND is almost certainly not signed - simply because it would cause an outrage.

There's a very good reason why FRANCE isn't signed - simply as there's no way of actually driving there - you don't want directions to France, you want to know if you're heading to the right port. Channel Tunnel must have paid to become the lead destination on the M20, but there are frequent ferry signs with distances to all the ways to the continent further down the road on them along Kent's trunk and major primary roads.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #423
get13

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
No. In Ireland, you don't even get 'Welcome to the Republic of Ireland' or 'Welcome to the United Kingdom' signs, as they cause political controversey and are often vandalised or removed. At best, you will get a local authority sign and a sign warning you of the change from metric to imperial, or vice-versa.

In mainland UK, we have 'NORTH WALES' and 'SOUTH WALES' as regional destinations. I've never seen a 'SCOTLAND' sign, I think just the normal compass points and town/city destinations are used, though I don't know for sure.
Here's one of the new Welcome to Scotland signs that are replacing the old brown ones.
get13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #424
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yeah, but I meant pointing to Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
There's a very good reason why FRANCE isn't signed - simply as there's no way of actually driving there - you don't want directions to France, you want to know if you're heading to the right port.
In Estonia:

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #425
trmather

Likes (Received): 73

There is a sign in Gibraltar that points one way to 'Town Centre' and the other way to 'Spain'.

It's relevant I suppose.

I couldn't get used to the European way of doing things, I'd miss my turning for various places purely because they're not signed.
trmather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #426
ardmacha

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
but are there signs saying "Ireland" (in Northern Ireland),
How could you have a sign saying Ireland in Ireland? Not a very helpful sign, there is plenty of useful ones that could be erected. You could have ones pointing East saying Britain and West saying Canada, but they wouldn't be much practical help either.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #427
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
I'm driving to the south coast tomorrow, if I end up in Scotland, that will be proof that the British signing system is crap, if I make it to Portsmouth with no problems it will be vindicated.

Watch this thread for updates
My uncle was once returning from Spain. His wife insisted on driving, which was very unusual given how "macho" are men in my family. He finally gave in and she took the wheel. My uncle fell asleep. Just before Narbonne my aunt was supposed to take the motorway to Toulouse, where my family lives, but instead she just didn't read the signs and kept on driving and driving... Eventually my uncle woke up in the end of the afternoon, and when he looked outside the window, he didn't recognize the place at all. He asked my aunt where they were, and she said they would reach Toulouse shortly. So my uncle just sat waiting, but as minutes passed, the scenery became more and more unfamiliar. Eventually, he thought that was just too odd so he asked my aunt to stop at the next rest area. He went to see the people working at the petrol station and asked them whether they were still far from Toulouse. The guy at the petrol station looked at my uncle in disbelief and answered: "Toulouse? You're 30 miles from Lyon sir!"

I thought I had to tell this incredible story to someone at some point.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Yeah, but I meant pointing to Scotland.

In Estonia:

A sign somewhere east of London with "Paris" makes more sense than the one pictured above. First, the relation London <-> Paris/France is much larger, in terms of passenger traffic, and the sea crossing is much shorter in the Channel than in the Baltic Sea.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #429
Verso
Islander

^ Actually the sign with Stockholm is ridiculous, but I guess Estonians feel closer to Nordic countries and less Eastern European this way, especially given the fact that there's no sign for Saint Petersburg in Estonia, which is closer and actually reachable on road, not to say much bigger than Stockholm.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #430
Rijeka

Likes (Received): 0

Between Amsterdam aiport (Schphol) and The Hague there is a sign (with distances) for Brussels, Paris and London. That's the only one I've seen in NL. Sorry, I don't have a picture, but I suppose Chris from Zwolle has By the way, this weekend I was going from London to Oxford (by bus) and the signs on the English motorways seemed great to me.
Rijeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #431
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijeka View Post
Sorry, I don't have a picture, but I suppose Chris from Zwolle has
Chris from Zwolle? You mean Chriszwolle?
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #432
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Chris is actually from Zwolle

I have to dig really deep for a picture. I don't come there that often, but someone i know does, and he makes pics regularly.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #433
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
A sign somewhere east of London with "Paris" makes more sense than the one pictured above. First, the relation London <-> Paris/France is much larger, in terms of passenger traffic, and the sea crossing is much shorter in the Channel than in the Baltic Sea.
For Paris you'd take the train though

Seeing as there are several different ports in Kent - I think there's 6 on the distance to port signs (though not all go to France and not all are passenger routes, but freight), 'FRANCE' doesn't make much sense, as you'd not want to know which way FRANCE was, but your specific port.

Also, if FRANCE (M20) is signed on the M25 from Heathrow, then those going from Portsmouth (Cherbourg/St Malo), Poole (Cherbourg) and Plymouth (Roscoff) may go the wrong way!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #434
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijeka View Post
Between Amsterdam aiport (Schphol) and The Hague there is a sign (with distances) for Brussels, Paris and London. That's the only one I've seen in NL. Sorry, I don't have a picture, but I suppose Chris from Zwolle has
You mean this one?

We also have this one.

Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #435
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi
Also, if FRANCE (M20) is signed on the M25 from Heathrow, then those going from Portsmouth (Cherbourg/St Malo), Poole (Cherbourg) and Plymouth (Roscoff) may go the wrong way!
Then they could at least sign Calais. The world doesn't stop at Folkestone/Dover.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #436
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

We also have a sign near Abcoude saying "Luxembourg 371" on the A2.
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #437
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Work starts on motorway extension

Work has officially started on the controversial M74 extension through south Glasgow and South Lanarkshire.

The ground-breaking ceremony for the £445m project was performed by First Minister Alex Salmond.

The five-mile extension, which is expected to open in 2011, is designed to connect the M74 to the M8, west of the Kingston Bridge in Glasgow.

Environmental campaigners abandoned their legal battle to block the project in 2006.

Mr Salmond said completion of the extension would see a "vital piece of infrastructure" in place to help the Scottish economy.

"Better access for customers and suppliers will benefit thousands of businesses in the surrounding areas," he said.

"Shorter journey times on local roads will help communities as well as business and will greatly help the preparation and hosting of Glasgow's 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Dr Dan Barlow, WWF Scotland
"Regeneration will be a direct result of the completion of the M74, helping to tackle pockets of unemployment through development of prime sites along the Clyde corridor and areas in Glasgow's east end and south side."

The ground-breaking ceremony brought renewed criticism from environmental campaign group, WWF Scotland.

Its acting director, Dr Dan Barlow, said: "It is highly ironic that on the very day MSPs debate a government motion on climate change, the first minister is celebrating the official start of Scotland's most expensive motorway project.

"Massive new road building schemes like the M74 and Aberdeen bypass put at risk the Scottish Government's pledge to cut emissions by 80% by 2050.

"Proceeding with this pollution-generating motorway scheme is a bad decision for people and the environment.

"Whilst the Scottish Government acknowledges the urgent need for Scotland to make drastic cuts in climate pollution sadly much of our transport policy remains at odds with this commitment."

The cost of the project is being met by the Scottish Government and Glasgow, South Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire councils.

Work is being carried out by Interlink M74 JV, a joint venture comprising Balfour Beatty, Morgan Est, Morrison Construction and Sir Robert McAlpine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/s...st/7424027.stm

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #438
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Then they could at least sign Calais. The world doesn't stop at Folkestone/Dover.
As far as roads on this island are concerned, it does. You could always sign Dublin and Belfast when going towards Liverpool, but that would be silly. You tend to get Dover with a nice little ship icon next to it. What benefit is there to then sign Calais?
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #439
Vertighost

Likes (Received): 0

British signage is pragmatic. Knowing that your going to arrive at a destination in x hundred miles/km is only useful as an aspiration. You still have two hours driving ahead of you. Knowing distances to local destinations gives you an idea of how alert you need to be for your turn off.

Equally knowing the distance to Calais or Paris is irrelevent because you'll arrive when the ferry/train does. Making sure you arrive at the correct port on time is far more important.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #440
Verso
Islander

Haven't seen that London sign yet! It's even further away than Stockholm is from Estonia.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom