daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:07 PM   #4461
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Ramp metering at a freeflow interchange

There is a strange scheme being built at the M6/M62 Croft Interchange to introduce ramp metering (with signals) on the slip roads joining the eastbound M62. I was wondering what the international perspective on this was, and if there are equivalent ramp metering schemes at otherwise freeflow interchanges in other countries?

To me it seems a waste of £12.6m and they'd be better off addressing the cause of the congestion rather than the symptom, e.g. through a cheap widening of the M62 eastbound using the hard shoulder.

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; September 23rd, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:17 PM   #4462
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

While ramp metering is common in quite a number of countries, it seems extremely rare on free flow motorway-to-motorway interchanges. The Netherlands experimented with it on the A15/A50 interchange, but it was removed after A50 was expanded to eight lanes.

Though metering is pretty common at tunnels, even when there is no capacity reduction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:43 PM   #4463
Ryme Intrinseca

Yes, I thought it was unusual, though interesting to hear it's not the first - and indeed that widening was the ultimate solution.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 03:23 PM   #4464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

I wonder if some U.S. cities have also used metering on freeway-to-freeway ramps. Some cities have a large number of ramp meters.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 03:28 PM   #4465
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

I've never heard of one, although I don't claim exhaustive knowledge. The risk of causing it at least worsening backups on the freeway people are leaving seems to be an obvious problem.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #4466
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder if some U.S. cities have also used metering on freeway-to-freeway ramps. Some cities have a large number of ramp meters.
US-101 to SR-85 on the southside of San Jose, California. I'm not sure if it's actually in use, but it's there.

edit: the other on-ramp in that interchange in the same direction has one too.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #4467
Ryme Intrinseca

The Welsh government have announced the red route as the preferred option for the Deeside Corridor scheme. Their description:
  • A new 13km two-lane dual carriageway, linking the A55-A5119 Northop Junction (Junction 33) with the A494 and A550 north of Deeside Parkway Junction, via Kelsterton Interchange and the Flintshire Bridge. This option is partly online improvement and partly new alignment.
  • The scheme increases capacity along the existing A548, includes modifications and improvements to junctions and provides a new section of road between the A548 and the A55.
They are still talking about this as a £250m scheme, which in UK terms seems very cheap for the scale of works. I suspect this may be due to differences in discount rates applied to costings by the Welsh Government and Highways England - they make a big difference given the severe construction inflation in recent years.

http://gov.wales/topics/transport/ro...-a548/?lang=en

Tom 958 liked this post

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; September 26th, 2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old September 29th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #4468
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In Milwaukee, WI on I-94 interchange with WI-341. The ramps from WI-341 to I-94 have meters. WI-341 is not a long major freeway however its interchange with I-94 is totally free flow and high speed (high speed if there weren't any meters). I'd post Google Streetview images if I knew how to.
Old October 1st, 2017, 06:14 PM   #4469
AvB

Likes (Received): 305

Scotland (x3.2) 8 of 13

Scotland (x3.2) 9 of 13
AvB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #4470
AvB

Likes (Received): 305

Scotland - England (x3.4) 10 of 13

AvB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #4471
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

Does anyone know if there are any future plans to widen or upgrade the A406 in London?
grykaerugoves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #4472
sotonsi

There's possibly an upgrade for the really bad bit at Bounds Green still on the cards, and slim hopes of the single-carriageway bit between A4 and A40 being upgraded in the long term, but beyond that, there are absolutely no plans to widen or upgrade.

grykaerugoves liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 04:14 AM   #4473
Ryme Intrinseca

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
There's possibly an upgrade for the really bad bit at Bounds Green still on the cards, and slim hopes of the single-carriageway bit between A4 and A40 being upgraded in the long term
Do you have a source on that? I'd be very surprised to see anything beyond bus priority measures etc.
Old October 10th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #4474
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryme Intrinseca View Post
I'd be very surprised to see anything beyond bus priority measures etc.
Which is still an upgrade.

I underestimated the desire to upgrade the A4-A40 bit, there's this short dualling scheme. The point is safety, and improved pedestrian/cycle facilities, but's it a widening nonetheless.

Pretty sure a major Bounds Green upgrade was among a recent big list of aspirations from TfL. The problem is that TfL have little money and really want to build an insanely expensive railway tunnel, so a road tunnel past a bottleneck is unlikely to happen. But as I said "possibly still on the cards".
Old October 11th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #4475
grykaerugoves
In the brig

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Which is still an upgrade.

I underestimated the desire to upgrade the A4-A40 bit, there's this short dualling scheme. The point is safety, and improved pedestrian/cycle facilities, but's it a widening nonetheless.

Pretty sure a major Bounds Green upgrade was among a recent big list of aspirations from TfL. The problem is that TfL have little money and really want to build an insanely expensive railway tunnel, so a road tunnel past a bottleneck is unlikely to happen. But as I said "possibly still on the cards".
isn't this just another one of TfL's usual bullcrap about safety so they just decide to narrow lanes, reduce speed limits and create more havoc?
grykaerugoves no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #4476
Ryme Intrinseca

The Mersey Gateway Bridge is to open tomorrow night. It's a tolled 2.3km, six lane cable-stayed bridge. Scheme costs of £600m include new and improved link roads and grade-separated junctions either side of the Mersey.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-41582616
http://www.merseygateway.co.uk/

ChrisZwolle, geogregor liked this post
Old October 14th, 2017, 04:28 AM   #4477
Ryme Intrinseca

The bridge opened just after midnight UK time. Lots of people came out to drive it!

essjaybee, Luki_SL, Ices77 liked this post
Old October 14th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #4478
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19219

Webcams showing progress on the Aberdeen bypass cosntruction:

https://www.transport.gov.scot/proje.../awpr-webcams/

It is fairly large project but it is hard to find any decent updates or photos. Try google it. Some news from a few months ago and that's it. It seems nobody is really interested in it.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #4479
sotonsi

A lot of the scheme is in hard-to-get-to rural areas, and people who would take photos and the like all live a long way away, unlike schemes like the Inverness Western Link, SEMMMS, etc.

Also the online stuff from the authorities is very lacking - merely the minimum statutory requirements.

Looking at the cameras, I'm struggling to see how it will be finished by Spring.
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:20 AM   #4480
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19219

Quote:
A lot of the scheme is in hard-to-get-to rural areas, and people who would take photos and the like all live a long way away, unlike schemes like the Inverness Western Link, SEMMMS, etc.

Also the online stuff from the authorities is very lacking - merely the minimum statutory requirements.

Looking at the cameras, I'm struggling to see how it will be finished by Spring.
I just found that Iain Henderson has great album on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/iainh1...49458723/page7

Just two samples of his excelent work:

September 2017: Work on the AWPR (Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route) Aberdeen bypass dual carriageway River Dee bridge at Milltimber
by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

I didn't know they will use concrete surface. It seems rare nowadays in the UK:

September 2017: Work on the AWPR (Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route) Aberdeen bypass dual carriageway at Newlands Farm on Cleanhill to Charleston section of road
by Iain Henderson, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom