daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #441
Rijeka

Likes (Received): 0

Well, near the port of The Hague there is a sign "England" with a little boat
Rijeka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #442
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Similar to sign for Albania and Greece in the Slovenian port of Koper. (ok, we're getting OT)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #443
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijeka View Post
Well, near the port of The Hague there is a sign "England" with a little boat
There aren't any passenger boats going from the Hague. I guess you mean Hoek van Holland ('the hook').
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #444
Stevie in Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
In my opinion, they show a few too much road numbers. It's not always clear which road you're on (look at the first motorway pic). Also, the roadnumbers appear too large in my opinion. Besides that, i think destinations are choosen too regionally, in other words, they don't always sign major cities far away. Since there are a lot of major cities in the UK, it's not always clear how to take a route to Birmingham from the north for instance.
It's precisely because it's so difficult to know which destination to signpost that I like the UK system of making road numbers a/the key navigation item.

If you know you want the A1, it doesn't matter whether it's signposted to Doncaster or Pontefract or Wetherby or Edinburgh - you need to check your destination once when you join it, so that you're not heading the wrong way, and after that just follow "A1" until you see the next road number you need.

A case in point, I was up in Scotland last week, and came to this junction: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gorstan&z=11.
I knew that I wanted the A832, so I took the turn. Had I been going by destinations, I would have been looking for Corriemullie, Achnasheen or Kinlochewe - I wouldn't have thought of looking for Gairloch (44 miles away and, according to my map, no bigger than half a dozen other villages en route) or Kyle of Lochalsh (54 miles away and on another road), but they were the destinations signposted.

I take your point that on motorways, it can be confusing when the motorway ahead is not mentioned (this only applies to diagram signs - the number is shown on gantry signs) - but by and large, when people are on a motorway they know which one it is, so it's not entirely necessary.
Stevie in Yorkshire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #445
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie in Yorkshire View Post
It's precisely because it's so difficult to know which destination to signpost that I like the UK system of making road numbers a/the key navigation item.

If you know you want the A1, it doesn't matter whether it's signposted to Doncaster or Pontefract or Wetherby or Edinburgh - you need to check your destination once when you join it, so that you're not heading the wrong way, and after that just follow "A1" until you see the next road number you need.

A case in point, I was up in Scotland last week, and came to this junction: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gorstan&z=11.
I knew that I wanted the A832, so I took the turn. Had I been going by destinations, I would have been looking for Corriemullie, Achnasheen or Kinlochewe - I wouldn't have thought of looking for Gairloch (44 miles away and, according to my map, no bigger than half a dozen other villages en route) or Kyle of Lochalsh (54 miles away and on another road), but they were the destinations signposted.

I take your point that on motorways, it can be confusing when the motorway ahead is not mentioned (this only applies to diagram signs - the number is shown on gantry signs) - but by and large, when people are on a motorway they know which one it is, so it's not entirely necessary.
I must take issue with your comment on the size of Gairloch. Achnasheen and Kinlochewe are much much smaller than Gairloch by a factor of 10 or so. the Kyle road leaves the A832 at a roundabout in Achnasheen ( a roundabout in the middle of nowhere ! ) and if I recall the sign at the Gorstan junction has " Gairloch A 832 then Kyle of Lochalsh ( A 890 ) as is normal on all UK roadsigns.
I hope you visited Inveralligin 5 miles west of Torridon. A beautiful spot where I lived briefly a few years ago. The single track road goes on to Dervaig over a spectacular winding pass.
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:13 PM   #446
Stevie in Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I must take issue with your comment on the size of Gairloch. Achnasheen and Kinlochewe are much much smaller than Gairloch by a factor of 10 or so. the Kyle road leaves the A832 at a roundabout in Achnasheen ( a roundabout in the middle of nowhere ! ) and if I recall the sign at the Gorstan junction has " Gairloch A 832 then Kyle of Lochalsh ( A 890 ) as is normal on all UK roadsigns.
I don't doubt that Gairloch is the largest of the three - but on my map (A-Z), all three are shown as equal. When maps are not consistent with each other or what's on the ground, that only underlines my reason for preferring numbers to places!
Stevie in Yorkshire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM   #447
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
As far as roads on this island are concerned, it does. You could always sign Dublin and Belfast when going towards Liverpool, but that would be silly. You tend to get Dover with a nice little ship icon next to it. What benefit is there to then sign Calais?
There is a sign to Dublin in Liverpool, it's on the A5053 as you're heading towards the Mersey, just before the road bends to the left and goes past the three graces.
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:40 PM   #448
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

But at least that's right by the ferry terminal. Signing 'M62 Dublin' would be daft.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM   #449
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

Just a post about how much motorway network the UK has. You're all quite right in saying that it is too small for a country like the UK and is lacking in investment, but it isn't as bad as you all make out.

The argument has been made that the majority of UK motorways are three lanes, and this is true; so what I would say about this is that you should be comparing CAPACITY of motorways between countries (though I don't know how to measure this).

Also, the UK has loads of what are known as 'all purpose roads', sometimes called HQDC (High Quality Dual Carriageway). These area all classed as A-roads and not motorways. I've often thought they should split the 'A' category into two because there can be such a difference between quality.

Anyway, if you visit http://www.cbrd.co.uk/reference/network/ there are maps of the UK motorway network, the network including these HQDC, and maps showing how many lanes each road has. (I don't want to hotlink that site's images).

The reason behind building these HQDC over motorway is purely a political one. People don't like the idea of a motorway near them, but if it's an A road thats more acceptable (even though it often amounts to the same thing!)

I hope this clears everything up a bit more, and hopefully eventually the UK will get some more motorways built eventually! Our current biggest project is the M74 completion in Glasgow, you can read about this at http://www.m74completion.co.uk - this will be a very impressive bit of road!
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #450
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Why do we need more motorways though? I'd rather we built more railway lines and tram networks.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #451
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
I'm driving to the south coast tomorrow, if I end up in Scotland, that will be proof that the British signing system is crap, if I make it to Portsmouth with no problems it will be vindicated.

Watch this thread for updates
Update, I reached Bournemouth at the start of my holiday with no problems even though I deliberately didn't plan my route or use an atlas as an experiment for this thread (you should all be grateful for the sacrifices I have made ) , a last minute french commie fisherman-related dispute meant that we had to take a different ferry from portsmouth instead of Poole and that short drive across Hampshire was also made with no problems. Thus British signage is fine.

PS The signs in France and Spain were also fine on the motorways, the only problem I found was in some smaller Spanish towns where the signs seemed to be missing at some key junctions.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #452
Verso
Islander

French signage is awful.
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #453
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Yeah especially around cities, where there are way too much destinations. Sometimes in the 10 - 15 range per overhead sign.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #454
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20276

You guys are just too picky, they are fine.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #455
Verso
Islander

No, they aren't; I always get lost in France.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:58 PM   #456
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

Here is a good site i found about traffic in UK motorways http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/home_jamcams.aspx
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #457
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

When I wıll come back from Turkey then I wıll post some pıcs from M67
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #458
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Why that road, of all of them?
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #459
Mateusz

Because İ have only pics from M67 When I got on M60 then my phone battery dıed
Old August 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #460
Mateusz

Ok guys, I have pictures from M67 'Sheffield Motorway' Sorry for quality but I could use only my mobile and forgot I have settings for VGA resolution instead 3MP

I think this last picture is from M60 but I am not fully sure.

My favourite is M62 between Manchester and Leeds. This 4+4 motorway between hills is great

Last edited by Mateusz; August 14th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom