daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #481
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The M25 is 117 mi, so you can drive almost 60 mi on it. This distance already gets me to the seaside.
I used to have a job where I'd drive around it every day, sometimes managing an entire circuit, sometimes not much of it but most days more than half of it. I did that for 6 months and it made the vast expanse of London feel like nothing more than my back garden!! The M25 is the most exciting motorway - good countryside, constant danger of traffic jams everywhere and any time - if you've got company and you're getting paid anyway who cares about jams, and most of all it has a kind personality. After all that time you learn how to read the traffic like the weather, me and the other driver would say to each other we think there's going to be a jam, and we'd pull off on to the A25, and half an hour later see the motorway from a bridge somewhere absolutely chocker.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #482
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Does some British government agency provides traffic volume maps/lists/sheets?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #483
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

M25 is nice and intresting motorway, you never get bored on it Not like on M1...
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #484
Stuu

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Does some British government agency provides traffic volume maps/lists/sheets?
In a word, no, not that I have ever seen or even a reference to, although they do know and make reference to in public enquiries, press releases etc... probably needs a freedom of information request, or someone who knows better!
Stuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #485
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I was just wondering,

imagine I drive in a left hand (continental European) car, alone, on a British tollway. How do I pay tolls? I can't reach for the toll barrier from the left seat.
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #486
sotonsi

I believe that there are pay on either side lanes on the toll booths on the M6Toll, Dartford Crossing and Severn Crossings.

France in a right hand drive car is far worse.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #487
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

You have to step out of the car.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #488
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I've been on the M6 toll, a few years ago. Since my mom was sitting in the English driver seat, she could pay the toll, while my dad was driving. When you're alone: just get your arms to grow long
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #489
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

In France i always had to pay the toll, my first experience of speaking french.

Bonjour.

Merci au revoir.
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #490
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You have to step out of the car.
Well, actually you don't have to. You can hand over the money to a staffed toll both or you throw it that collecting basket through the window on the right side of your car. That's how I did it when I passed Dartford crossing twice on my own. I have to admit I was prepared for it. I practised throwing a pound into a basket the days before. Once you found out the right technique you can't miss it.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #491
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Love British motorways!

Long merge lanes, sensible drivers, nice wide lanes, clear signposting, smooth surfaces to drive on.

Although the British motorway network aint' as extensive as it could be, British motorways are amongst the best in the world and an open motorway is sheer driving pleasure.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #492
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Even though asphalt is not new on them, it is really comfortable to drive on
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:03 AM   #493
[email protected]
aberdonian

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I was just wondering,

imagine I drive in a left hand (continental European) car, alone, on a British tollway. How do I pay tolls? I can't reach for the toll barrier from the left seat.
Chris I worked in Dundee for years for a US company and my boss insisted in importing a US left hand drive Cadillac.His commute involved driving from St Andrews to Dundee daily using the (then) toll Tay bridge.
To pay the toll he had a plastic hand on the end of a pole which he poked out the (electric) right window with his toll money in it !
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM   #494
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Love British motorways!

Long merge lanes, sensible drivers, nice wide lanes, clear signposting, smooth surfaces to drive on.

Although the British motorway network aint' as extensive as it could be, British motorways are amongst the best in the world and an open motorway is sheer driving pleasure.
Don't dorget that there are many primary A roads that are to motorway standards and have the same spped limit.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM   #495
sotonsi

very very few primary A roads are up to 'motorway standards' (quotes due to motorway being a legal status, and not a standard). I can think of very few - lack of hard shoulders removes most all-purpose routes, and awful junctions remove more. The A2 between Falconwood and the M2 is the longest bit. After that, we're talking about the A720 between the A7 and the A8, A27 between M27 and A3(M), A8 between the two bits of M8, A1 between the A64 and A58. It's worth also pointing out that, for instance, the A1 needed to have an alternate route before becoming (soon) a motorway. This is due to the legal status of motorways over all-purpose routes and stuff about removing rights of way. The A55 in North Wales that has a short bit that is legally equivalent to a motorway, meets the standards, but isn't due to it looking silly miles from any other motorway!

It's less than 100 miles in total and, other than the A2, the longest length is about ten miles.

It's also worth noticing that France has an extensive Expressway (doesn't meet standards, but has motorway characteristics, like grade-separated junctions, no central reserve gaps, etc) network on top of it's extensive Motorway network - the motorway network is about equal to the UK's Motorway and Expressway network in terms of coverage.

The speed limit is the same due to the Dual Carraigeway NSL (doesn't have to be grade-separated, on a decent alignment) was increased after the fuel crisis of the 70s ended and also as it was the same speed as single carriageways. Motorways didn't get increased because they had a fear of speeds above 70, and also due to the official *minimum* design standard was 70mph (now 120km/h). It really ought to be higher on most of the motorway network. In practise it already is.
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM   #496
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Are there plans for more motorways in the United Kingdom? I think it might be the country with the lowest level of motorway construction in Europe (probably along Belgium)
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM   #497
sotonsi

It's about 140km, of which about 40% of that is in one scheme -
M74 extension to M8 j20. 9.5 Km
A1(M) between the A64 and the A1(M) north of Wetherby. 9.7 Km
A1(M) between Dishforth (A168) and Darlington (j56). 61.2 Km
M8 gap. 9.7 Km
M80 gap plugged & M73 link. 19.3 Km
M6 extension to A74(M). 10 Km
M4 re-routing round the south of Newport. 12.9 Km
The new Forth Road Crossing. up to 8 Km

Note how short most of these are.

Bear in mind that the M74, M6 and A1(M) near Wetherby are under construction (M6 will open in about a months time, A1(M) in about 6 months), and the M8 and M80/M73 will start soon. The M4 is 'on hold' and is fairly likely to be scrapped, the Forth Crossing is a long way off. We're looking at, next month, 130km, of which about a third of that is under construction and about 20km of that isn't that likely.

www.cbrd.co.uk/futures has it all (well, sort of)
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #498
ardmacha

Likes (Received): 1

Some videos here
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadaddictReece
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #499
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Question to British forumers (or perhaps others too):

Which motorways do you think are essentially to construct the next 20 years? Or perhaps by upgrading existing roads?
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #500
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

As far as I'm concerned, the most important thing for us to do with our motorway network is to 'plug' the gaps. Finish off the A1(m) and get rid of all those other little annoying bits of non motorway between motorways (like the A8 / M8).

We've secretly and cheaply been building 'motorways' as high quality dual carriageways for some time now and they've mostly completed the network

EDIT: Actually, it would be great to finish the M67. At the moment getting from Manchester to Sheffield is a joke!

Last edited by havaska; November 4th, 2008 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom