daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #541
Chris Jackson

Likes (Received): 0

Some pictures I took on Saturday, during a trip from Bristol to Congleton in Cheshire. We took the M5 to Birmingham and then the M6 to the Stoke-on-Trent junction.

Driving over the West Midlands flyover on the M5, this is the last junction before the M6. A41. Destinations West Bromwich and North West Birmingham
[URL=http://img516.imageshack.
Chris Jackson no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #542
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_A34 View Post
Actually the M74 is the number applied to the junctions 12-13 section. See here and here. I am trying to remember where most of the pictures of the signs that were erected had already been prepared to be converted to M6 and not A74 (M), however I've found a couple at CBRD.
OK, fair enough. However, given that most people confuse Ax(M) with Mx anyway, the 74 can be considered one number.

I see the M6/74 problem as no worse than the French A6/A7 one. As the 74 was built from Motherwell, and the M6 from Preston to meet in the middle (extending the other way as well), with no initial plan to join them up, then it's exactly the same as the road to Lyon built from Paris and the road to Lyon built from Marseilles having different numbers and meeting at a point in central Lyon.

It's also no different to lots of other motorways all over Europe changing number at a border.

The M60 put people off large scale renumberings, which the A74(M) would be.

That it's in Scotland, with a party wanting to keep Scotland Scottish in power, I really can't see it changing.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #543
jpeter

Can somebody post me a picture from Speed Limits in UK? Are different Speed Limits there?
jpeter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #544
Nick_A34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter View Post
Can somebody post me a picture from Speed Limits in UK? Are different Speed Limits there?
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_i...ingdom#Driving.
Nick_A34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #545
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter View Post
I think that you want one that they snow at the border, but the UK Mdoesn't (to my knowlege) post those signs.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #546
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

You're right, the UK doesn't have any border speed limit signs as it only has one land border with Ireland. The border there isn't signposted in any way or form due to the troubles so the only way to tell you've crossed the border is that the road surface changes!
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #547
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

M1 needs widening on most of its length

I am on it from time to time and traffic there is really bad... Thank God, they built 3 lanes already in 50s and 60s !
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #548
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaska View Post
You're right, the UK doesn't have any border speed limit signs as it only has one land border with Ireland. The border there isn't signposted in any way or form due to the troubles so the only way to tell you've crossed the border is that the road surface changes!
Denmark and Sweden sign it a bit outside the ferry terminal in Helsingborg/Helsingör, no land border needed!
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #549
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaska View Post
and the road markings change, and there's a speed limit sign, as RoI uses km/h, NI uses mph. There are border speed limit signs at Dover and one guesses other international ferry terminals too. The Dover ones are on the A2 and A20 outside the port, whereas Portsmouth, IIRC has it's inside the port.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
M1 needs widening on most of its length
What it needs is another motorway bypassing it, with some bits of widening.
Old December 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #550
Mateusz

Something like in Portugal where A1 is doubled by A8 ?
Old December 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #551
sotonsi

yes, or in the UK the M1 and M40 - they serve slightly different functions, but before the M40 was finished, the M1 did the M40's function.
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #552
Mateusz

Maybe A1(M) should upgraded more to motorway standard, and widened too. It's kina parallel to M1
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #553
sotonsi

the problem with the A1 is that it goes through a lot of empty space, and also is quite costly to upgrade. What would be better is a new motorway following the A6 to Leicester, then round the east side of Leicester and Nottingham before going north to Doncaster. That way it can serve the East Midlands cities as well. The A1 could serve Doncaster, Leeds and northwards - not much of the M1. Seeing as a lot of the problem is more regional traffic, the A38, the A614, A46 and other such routes would be better for the M1 to be motorways. The A1 is fine to serve Grantham and Newark. A motorway link to Lincoln from South Yorkshire is probably needed, but the A1 doesn't cover that.
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #554
Mateusz

UK needs new motorways, or even decent A roads, if there is too much opposition to motorways.

It's bad that Manchester and Sheffield are connected by curvy, narrow road which is jammed, well at least when I was going there
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM   #555
Dan

Anyone have a motorway map of the UK? I've always found it hard to tell which roads are motorways and which ones are not on uk maps.
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM   #556
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
Anyone have a motorway map of the UK? I've always found it hard to tell which roads are motorways and which ones are not on uk maps.
Using standard UK map colouring:

Motorway = blue
A road = green (important) or red (less important)
B road = yellow
Minor road = white

A roads in the UK can be duel carriageway with almost motorway like standards, or they can be 1x1 lane roads. On an AA map of the UK, duel carriageway sections of A road are shown with a thicker outer line (or an extra line down the middle depending on the year published).

You can get a pretty good impression of motorway coverage from maps.google.com or another site like that by using this key.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:06 PM   #557
Dan

Thanks
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM   #558
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
duel carriageway
I wonder what fatality record this road has?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
A roads in the UK can be duel carriageway with almost motorway like standards, or they can be 1x1 lane roads.
Dual carriageways can be motorway-like. But they don't have to be. Their standard varies a lot and stringent grade-separated roads are rather rare.
Old December 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM   #559
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I wonder what fatality record this road has?

Dual carriageways can be motorway-like. But they don't have to be. Their standard varies a lot and stringent grade-separated roads are rather rare.
In the UK there is a set standard for duel carriageway roads (as far as I recall from our convoluted official road discriptions). Our network of duel carriageways (or high quality A roads) is far more extensive than our motorway network. For example, whilst my home town (Northampton) only seems to have one motorway nearby, it has an extensive network of fully grade separated duel carriageways with a hard shoulder (such as the A45/A508 Northampton Ring Road which is 3+3 lanes for significant sections). There are, of course, less well characterised duel carriageways still with a high speed limit such as the A43 which has high capacity roundabouts on it whilst still posting a speed limit of greater than 50mph.

Like I said anyway, duel carriageways with almost motorway like standards do exist throughout the country in great numbers and whilst some don't conform to high standard motorways (as seen on the Bundesstraßen in Germany) a good number can. Either way they're high quality and often high capacity.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:13 AM   #560
Dan

How are the A roads in Wales?

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom