daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2009, 02:34 AM   #641
Nick_A34

Likes (Received): 0

A few videos I found on You Tube...

The A5 in Milton Keynes

The M2 in Kent

The M25 & M40
Nick_A34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #642
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Last time I was on the M2 (probably in 1990), it was just 2 lanes!!!!
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #643
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

M20 is much better route, 3 lanes all the time as I remember
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #644
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/7965762.stm

Work starts on A1 'missing link'

Over 24 miles of the A1 will be upgraded to motorway standard
Work has started to upgrade a stretch of the A1 in North Yorkshire from dual carriageway to three-lane motorway.

The 24-mile long section of road from Dishforth to Barton will provide the "missing link" between Newcastle and London, the Highways Agency said.

Transport secretary Geoff Hoon dug the first turf at a ceremony to mark the start of the £318m project.

He said the route would increase capacity and improve journey times and road safety.

At the ceremony in Leeming Mr Hoon said: "The A1 is of both regional and national importance forming a major transport spine through the North of England, carrying goods and people and supporting investment.

"Bridging this missing motorway link - part of the £6bn package to improve some of the nation's busiest roads - will make an invaluable contribution to business and the economy as well as helping to keep friends and family connected."

The upgrade of the Disforth to Leeming section of the A1 is due to be completed by spring 2012.

Work is continuing on the development of proposals for the upgrade of the adjoining section from Leeming to Barton, after a public inquiry recommended amendments to the plans.
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #645
Mateusz

Great news

It seems like not much new motorways will be constructed in future though
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #646
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
Great news

It seems like not much new motorways will be constructed in future though
this 24 miles is going to be the last scheme over 15miles, if not 10 (though I think the A80 upgrade will be just about that long).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
M20 is much better route, 3 lanes all the time as I remember
However, the A2/M2 route isn't about serving London-Cross Channel. It's about serving North West Kent (Dartford, Gillingham, Eltham, Bexley), the Medway Towns, Thanet, Canterbury, linking them with Central London, the rest of the world (via the M25) and Dover (only Canterbury and Medway). It's much more about local/regional journeys, hence why it's only two lanes wide past Gillingham.

The M20 is much more about strategic journeys, hence why it dies when it hits the M25 - the strategic traffic is gone, the road has little point.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #647
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1561

The M6 going through Cumbria is pretty scenic:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #648
Mateusz

It reminds me of M62
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #649
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19137

I love M6/A74(M)/M74 corridor to Scotland. Very scenic long distant drive on good quality motorway from Lancaster northwards.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #650
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Stunning shots!

I really like that part of the M62 (between Manchester and Bradford) where the road 'splits' and there's a farmhouse in the middle (if that's still there?).

Scenery wise, the M5's a pretty nice ride, but I have to agree with others than the M6 (Lake District) & A74(M)/M74 in southern Scotland is probably Britain's most scenic motorway route.

My Panoramio
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #651
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I really like that part of the M62 (between Manchester and Bradford) where the road 'splits' and there's a farmhouse in the middle (if that's still there?).
Yes, it is. It was featured on a TV show recently. Apparently, for experiment's sake, someone sent a letter addressed 'House in the middle of the M62', to see if it got there and it did.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #652
Mateusz

I saw it in real, it gives a weird feeling when you are in car passing it
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #653
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

You mean this house?
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM   #654
H123Laci
BANNED

Britain’s Motorway network is 50 years old this year!

Hip-hip-hurray!
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM   #655
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
You're 4 1/2 months too late - the British Motorway network was 50 years old last year.

The M6 Preston bypass opened on the 5th of December 1958. Of course, the English and Scottish Motorway networks only joined up to properly become a British Motorway network on the 5th of December 2008 (exact day deliberately chosen with late 08 being the finish date for the M6 project).

Of course, the IHT are celebrating for just short of a year, until the M1 and M45 reach their half century, and the 50th anniversary of the birth of the M10 (deceased by then) occur one day in November.
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM   #656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Wow, the Dutch motorway network is already 72 years old (A12 opened in 1937). I didn't know they started so late with the British motorway network.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #657
H123Laci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
You're 4 1/2 months too late - the British Motorway network was 50 years old last year.
Its never late to celebrate...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM   #658
sotonsi

M10 to be downgraded on the 1st of May

That article is full of rubbish making this sound a lot better. The M10 was completely new build to bypass St Albans and distribute traffic from the M1 onto the A5 and North Orbital Road (for A6 to A1, and general skirting of London) so that there were three routes into London (A41 from Berrygrove, now near j5, A5 from Park Street (end of M10), A405, A6, A1 from Park Street). It never was meant to link St Albans to anywhere, though people in the south of the city would probably prefer heading south to the A405 then up the M10, rather than going via junction 9 or 10.

If there has been no non-motorway route between the two places since the M10 was built, then how did you get between the two beforehand, given the M10 neither severed nor replaced another road? Answer - the A414, until 1986 (IIRC) when the M25 caused a large renumbering, went on what's now the A4147. If you note this road links Hemel Hempstead and St Albans without going on a motorway, so I have no idea what the John Dunston is on about, other than trying to spin something minor into something far more amazing (he ought to have talked about real benefits, like more capacity and less dangerous junctions due to no weaving)

What's happening is that junctions 7 and 8 of the M1 are being merged together by the widening works. You'd now be able to escape the M10 (soon to be A414) without going on the M1. This means that there's no point in having it as motorway, so the HA have downgraded it to a non-motorway special road. Cyclists, equestrians and pedestrians are still banned, though any (with some sensible exceptions) motor vehicle can use it - eg tractors, mopeds and learner drivers - all of which were previously banned.

Other downgraded motorways are A41(M) Tring bypass, M41 West Cross Route, A102(M) East Cross Route, A40(M) Westway (all when TfL took over) and the A6144(M) Carrington Spur. The M10 is the oldest and longest of these, and was the first 2-digit motorway (joint with the M45) due to being part of the second motorway project to open. Park Street roundabout, with road numbers and destinations mostly changed (but other than the text, the signs are all from there), is the Highway code roundabout sign.
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #659
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
M10 to be downgraded on the 1st of May

That article is full of rubbish....
It's possible that the M10 was kept over the years after it was built in preparation for the ringways. Looking at the route for Ringway 4 across the North, the M10 would have formed a direct link from Ringway 4 counterclockwise to M1, so it would have not just been a spur into St Albans. Though obviously this wasn't the original intention when the M10 was first built.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #660
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

The UK coulld really do with upgrading some of its major trunk roads to motorways, especially the A34 (up to Oxford), the A14 and stretches of the A27 on the south coast. Also, the whole A1 should be brought up to motorway standard and FFS, why is there not even a dual carriageway connection to Norwich & East Anglia?

My Panoramio

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom