daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:16 AM   #721
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

There are several options, one is where the government pays shadow tolls.

I think it's stupid plan. Motoring is taxed quite high in the UK, and tolling all the motorways is really a last resort option. They are already payed by regular taxes, and paying tolls is essentially paying a double toll, much like in France or Italy. I can understand toll roads for countries where fuel taxes and other motoring fees are low, but countries like the UK are already high taxed countries.

If there is really a budget shortfall, why not increase the general income tax? Although unaffordable mobility is something green parties appeals very much, it can hurt the economy pretty bad. Nobody is getting better with excessive tax/tolls.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:29 AM   #722
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20266

Motorway tolls could be ok if they were used to even out traffic flows through the day by charging less outside peak periods and on less busy roads.

But I'd want an equivalent amount taken off fuel duty otherwise it's just tax raising.

Personally, if the government wants to raise more money i'd put VAT up to 20% from 15%.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:25 PM   #723
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

The problem with "revenue-neutral" congestion pricing (where taxes are reduced but the level of congestion pricing is set so that the overall revenue take remains the same) is that VMT increases. This is not good if your intention is to reduce VMT in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In the UK political context, congestion pricing has to be seen as a device for reducing VMT, by making driving more expensive even in the off-peak.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:35 PM   #724
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

I would agree with motorway tolls if at least some if would go to roads development and upgrades.

If it's another way to direct more money into rail then it's crap tbh
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:59 PM   #725
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Personally, if the government wants to raise more money i'd put VAT up to 20% from 15%.
good idea.

here in hungary the government raised VAT from 20% to 25%...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:04 PM   #726
Mateusz

That's real punch for business

I'm wondering if local roads will become even more busy if motorways will be toll, that will be disaster :p
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:25 AM   #727
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Any updates on an Aberdeen bypass or some kind of new road between Edinburgh and Inverness? Was in Scotland for vacation and both those areas were quite clogged on the roads!
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM   #728
Mateusz

I don't really predict any improvement soon
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM   #729
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19137

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
The problem is that Britain is in the developed stage and people don't want the fuss of major construction works and mass-relocation. Coupled with NIMBY-ism and tree huggers such plans are very dificult come into fruition.
Well, Britain is one of those countries where soon nothing will be build at all.
People in Britain somehow want to preserve their country as some sort of XIX century rural utopia.
So no new:
motorways, railways, power stations, wind farms, factories, shipping centers, bigger housing developments, anything bigger than garden shed basically.
Funny how everyone wants new gadgets and gizmos (iphone, ipod and many others) and fast broadband in the same time.
Do people think they grow on trees?
I think it is due to lack of interest in engineering in general. Every teenager in UK want to work in advertising, be writer, musician or activist of any sort. Modern stuff is something we bring from China and we can just all work in so called "creative industry" By creating countless celebrities.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM   #730
abritishguy
M6 Road Warrior!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirtkosova View Post
i very much doubt there will be motorway tolls in the UK. Power EU countries usually have no tolls.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_toll
abritishguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #731
Mateusz

That's the only toll motorway so far
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM   #732
abritishguy
M6 Road Warrior!!!!!!

Just making sure you know

Anyway, I'm still holding out for them to build the Western Orbital. For those that don't know it is the Wolverhampton/Kidderminster motorway bypass that has been proposed since the same time as the BNRR (M6 toll). If it gets built it will remove the traffic from the M6/M5 junction, which gets notoriously clogged up everyday.
The only problem is the area it goes through is notorious for NIMBY's who don't like anything, and the government are adiment that they don't want it built, so it is likely never to happen
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM   #733
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

So the western Orbital would branch off M6 somewhere near Stafford, then heads south bypassing Wolverhampton and Birmingham on the west, and then merge with M5 south of Birmingham?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM   #734
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by abritishguy View Post
Yes, but that isn't a common thing, most motorwasy don't have them here, whereas in some countries it is the norm for motorways to be tolled.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:20 AM   #735
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Has anyone got any pictures from the M62, I heard it is the best motorway for scenery!
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:35 AM   #736
Mateusz

It's really good especially between Leeds and Manchester
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM   #737
abritishguy
M6 Road Warrior!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
So the western Orbital would branch off M6 somewhere near Stafford, then heads south bypassing Wolverhampton and Birmingham on the west, and then merge with M5 south of Birmingham?
It is unclear where it was supposed to branch off. If you look at the M6/M54 junction, you will notice that it is very large. Unfortunately the reason behind this hasn't been known but there clear is enough room for a motorway to go from the M54 towards the direction of Lichfield (although the town of Brownhills might have to be sacrificed ).

As far as I know, from looking at previous plans for the motorway, The motorway was supposed to branch off the M6 around modern day J11a. There would be a junction with the M54, then bypass the West Midlands before reaching the M5 somewhere around J4/4a.

There have been plans recently, however, to create a link road between M54 Westbound and M6 northbound around J1 of the M54. There are 2 proposals for this:
1) An all purposel, grade seperated dual carriegeway bypass of the A460 going from J1 M54 to J11 of the M6, slotting into the roundabouts at each end.
2) Remodelling of the M54/M6 junction, which will include demolishing the Hilton Park services just north of the junction.

Sorry for all the text. Just supplying information
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #738
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20266

Quote:
Originally Posted by abritishguy View Post
the town of Brownhills might have to be sacrificed
That's another benefit of this proposal, I like it.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #739
Mateusz

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Well, Britain is one of those countries where soon nothing will be build at all.
People in Britain somehow want to preserve their country as some sort of XIX century rural utopia.
So no new:
motorways, railways, power stations, wind farms, factories, shipping centers, bigger housing developments, anything bigger than garden shed basically.
Funny how everyone wants new gadgets and gizmos (iphone, ipod and many others) and fast broadband in the same time.
Do people think they grow on trees?
I think it is due to lack of interest in engineering in general. Every teenager in UK want to work in advertising, be writer, musician or activist of any sort. Modern stuff is something we bring from China and we can just all work in so called "creative industry" By creating countless celebrities.
The system is encouraging it, these days unis are looking for people with some expirience with charities, activities some initiative
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #740
Mr_LoL

Driving down the M56 yesterday coming into North Wales, I realised the road was in a terrible state with horrible concrete tarmac and a load of potholes.
Mr_LoL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom