daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #861
andrelot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Well... in regard of the above posts about measurement conversion in UK, it would be good. Even better would be if they switched to drive on the right! Denmark, Sweden and other countries did the move before WW2. Would Britons even consider a switchover to the right?

I know it would be difficult, as it is for me when I occasionaly put my car in a train in the tunnel then have to be overly atentitous when getting it on the road on the other side. Urban areas are even more treacherous, especially the roundabouts.
andrelot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #862
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

No, we will never switch sides.

It's a massive waste of money, dangerous and pointless.

The only country we have a land border with also drives on the same side as us, so there's no reason at all.

Besides, why is driving on the right the 'correct' way? Why shouldn't the rest of the world drive on the left?
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #863
andrelot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Well, out of curiosity, some dates of hand-drive switch from left to right:

Portugal - 1928
Panama - 1943
Argentina - 1948
Myanmar - 1970
Sweden - 1967
Iceland - 1968
South Korea - 1946

By the way, it's kind of weird drive a left-hand car in a left-hand side lane (a continental car in UK). You drive far from the center lane and very close to the curside. On busy 2-lane roads, at high speed, this can frighten the driver first time.

Also, beams do not work properly at night, they illuminate more the curbside than the kerbside.
andrelot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #864
The Lambton Worm

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelot View Post
Well... in regard of the above posts about measurement conversion in UK, it would be good. Even better would be if they switched to drive on the right! Denmark, Sweden and other countries did the move before WW2. Would Britons even consider a switchover to the right?

I know it would be difficult, as it is for me when I occasionaly put my car in a train in the tunnel then have to be overly atentitous when getting it on the road on the other side. Urban areas are even more treacherous, especially the roundabouts.
The distance units may well change but as for switching sides, on yer bike bonny lad!
The Lambton Worm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #865
The Lambton Worm

Quote:

Portugal - 1928
Panama - 1943
Argentina - 1948
Myanmar - 1970
Sweden - 1967
Iceland - 1968
South Korea - 1946

By the way, it's kind of weird drive a left-hand car in a left-hand side lane (a continental car in UK). You drive far from the center lane and very close to the curside. On busy 2-lane roads, at high speed, this can frighten the driver first time.

Also, beams do not work properly at night, they illuminate more the curbside than the kerbside.
And the common denominator in all those countries is a distinct lack of roads and motorised vehicles at the time of switching.

The beam of the headlights is supposed to point towards the kerb in the UK so as not to dazzle/blind oncoming traffic. Its the same if you drive on the wrong side in Europe. Hence the reason when we take our cars over there we have to realign our headlights to the right or fix deflectors on them. Maybe you should do the same when you drive on the correct side.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #866
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaska View Post
Besides, why is driving on the right the 'correct' way? Why shouldn't the rest of the world drive on the left?

Here's a shot in the dark, not based on actual scientific research, but just a thought.

[speculation]
Most people are right handed. It's easier to drive stick with your right hand than your left hand.
[/speculation]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #867
The Lambton Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Here's a shot in the dark, not based on actual scientific research, but just a thought.

[speculation]
Most people are right handed. It's easier to drive stick with your right hand than your left hand.
[/speculation]
Its also easier to control (steering wheel) with your right hand and change gear with your left.
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #868
niterider
niterider

This may sound harsh but anyone coming from the continent by car does so knowing we drive on the left so there really is no excuse regarding headlights or concerns with driving on the left. If someone is not confident enough to drive on the left, then they shouldn't!
If I drive to Northern France I switch sides in my right hand drive car and pay extra attention. Soon it becomes natural.
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #869
niterider
niterider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lambton Worm View Post
Its also easier to control (steering wheel) with your right hand and change gear with your left.
I've always thought the same...I think we actually have it best on the left for this reason! One the of the reasons I'm glad every car is an auto when i drive in North America
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #870
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:

Portugal - 1928
Panama - 1943
Argentina - 1948
Myanmar - 1970
Sweden - 1967
Iceland - 1968
South Korea - 1946
Samoa - 2009

EDIT: oops, that was the other way around
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #871
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Driving on the left originates from old jousting matches that used to happed. It means your right hand is in control...(leaves your left for the gears)

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #872
GrubyNH
BANNED

I invite you to the small: lol: Photo-coverage from Belfast and further south towards Dublin start from A2 (Belfast Road):

Before the airport City Airport 3 lane ends

At the moment we enter the M3 motorway

Leaving on the A12 Westlink and .... : ohno: road lights !

Unfortunate for the A12 road lights is like the beginning of the M1 motorway, it is routed in deep and collision

The newer part with the A12 and 3 lanes: banana:

For a moment begin to M1 on the A12 motorway limit is 50mph or 80 km / h

M1

As soon as the exit end with 3 lanes

Recently exchanged on concrete, metal railings, which are high enough that it do not shine at night in the eyes

Leaving on the A1 in the direction of Dublin

A1 can it go after about 70 mph but it is much one level crossings and entries into the possessions of farmlands, the happiness of intersections with traffic lights, no, there are several roundabouts.

This roundabout is so interesting that you can evade them seamlessly: nuts:

The greater part is no railing separating roadways and is the main route linking Belfast with Dublin: ohno:

Roundabout and the next. photo police in an unbranded Octavia Combi and Passat

Recently built 5 knots over the entire collision A1

Exchange surface

On renovated parts A1 are rails bariers

We reach the village Newry recent larger town before the border with Rep.. Irish road narrows to 1 lane because they are being built about 12 km ring road expressway Newry

We descend on the old Newry bypasses

: cheers: and it would be enough , next photos from the building of the bypass Newry and further in the direction of Dublin. Thank you for attention nice watching greet Gruby : cheers

Last edited by GrubyNH; November 24th, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
GrubyNH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #873
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

[speculation]
[/speculation]
All posts of this type simply go to show that people feel more comfortable with what they are used to. Managing to competently change gear with your left hand is something that most learners manage to accomplish by the time of their third or fourth driving lesson. In fact, when I drive in continental Europe, changing with my right hand feels decidedly unnatural at first. It tales an hour or two to get used to, and then I'm fine. I really don't think you'd get very far using it as an argument for switching to driving on the right!

I think it's fair to say that many people who post on these boards (and I count myself in this number) do have a slightly geeky side and, as geeks, we have a greater tendency than the general population to want to categorise and standardise things that do not need to be categorised or standardised. This is a good example. The benefits of switching to driving on the right would be so comprehensively dwarfed by the disadvantages that it does not warrant a serious discussion.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #874
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Zwolle: When you change gear on an RHD car you change it with your left hand, but you hold the steering wheel with you right hand, which is more important. If something comes up I'd rather miss a gear than crash so the Brits actually win on this one.

EDIT: quite a few people have beaten me to it.
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #875
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Oh and cool photos, GrubyNH. I've never been to that region before so nice to see what roads there look like.
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #876
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
All posts of this type simply go to show that people feel more comfortable with what they are used to. Managing to competently change gear with your left hand is something that most learners manage to accomplish by the time of their third or fourth driving lesson. In fact, when I drive in continental Europe, changing with my right hand feels decidedly unnatural at first. It tales an hour or two to get used to, and then I'm fine. I really don't think you'd get very far using it as an argument for switching to driving on the right!

I think it's fair to say that many people who post on these boards (and I count myself in this number) do have a slightly geeky side and, as geeks, we have a greater tendency than the general population to want to categorise and standardise things that do not need to be categorised or standardised. This is a good example. The benefits of switching to driving on the right would be so comprehensively dwarfed by the disadvantages that it does not warrant a serious discussion.
I agree - and at the last report, even the CHINESE have made no attempt even begin to try to 'flip' Hong Kong and Macau from LHD to RHD, even though they've been parts of China proper (a RHD country) for over ten years now. The change between LHD and RHD at the Hong Kong-Shenzhen interface is done with helix spirals on one of the approaches to the main bridge crossing between them.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #877
ardmacha

Likes (Received): 1

Perhaps this has been posted before, a video of the M1 motorway in Britain before its opening 50 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBPYchRPNAo
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #878
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244447

M1 go directly to London? Nice, interesting video btw
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #879
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Yes, and ends on North Circular Road (A406)
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:58 AM   #880
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19154

OK, time for few more pictures of Scottish roads. This time pictures taken by my cousin, mostly when I was driving

A82 approaching Glencoe

Few from A830 on the way to Mallaig

Somewhere

A87 on Isle of Sky

A855 on Isle of Sky

Pedestrians

Somewhere outside Perth, I love this country. I really do.

Jct. 11 on the outskirts of Perth M90 finishes, A90 begins

A90

Last edited by geogregor; November 22nd, 2009 at 04:14 AM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom