daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:20 PM   #921
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,092
Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Existing motorways in UK have good quality. Problem is with quantity.
France has similar population to UK and 3 or 4 times more km of motorways.
I won’t even mention Germany.
UK is of course smaller than France but still quite large country.
But there is no chance for them to be built. All Britain got recently crazy about global warming. Some people would ban cars altogether and force us all to overcrowded trains, some of the worst railways in Europe. Or walk everywhere.
I think they main reason why we don't have as many miles of Motorways is that there aint anywhere to put them! The reason why everything is so crowded is because the island as a whole is crowded...
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM   #922
bleetz
one.man.army
 
bleetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 793
Likes (Received): 396

United Kingdom — Population Density: 246/km2
Germany — Population Density: 230/km2

Not exactly a massive difference is it.
__________________
This "potion" that turns you from Dr Jekyll into Mr Hyde looks an awful lot like six cans of Stella.
bleetz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM   #923
bleetz
one.man.army
 
bleetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 793
Likes (Received): 396

Oh and Netherlands has a much denser motorway network than the UK even though their population density is actually over 1000/km2 (more than 4 times that of the UK).
__________________
This "potion" that turns you from Dr Jekyll into Mr Hyde looks an awful lot like six cans of Stella.
bleetz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #924
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,603
Likes (Received): 19391

Around 460/km² actually. Only one province exceeds 1000 per km² (Zuid-Holland).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM   #925
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Cheshire, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 5,092
Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
Oh and Netherlands has a much denser motorway network than the UK even though their population density is actually over 1000/km2 (more than 4 times that of the UK).
The UK includes Scotland, and Wales, where there aren't many people and have a lot of mountains...

- Density 637/sq mi (246/km2)

But England which makes up most of the area and about 85% of the population is like one huge metro area...

- Density 1,023/sq mi (395/km2)

Netherlands...

- Density 1,025/sq mi (396/km2)

The difference aint that big, and England is a lot bigger with about 3 times the total population. Also there are a lot of roads which are called as 'A roads' but are basically just the same as motorways, just not classed as one as some vehicles cannot use them...
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM   #926
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,603
Likes (Received): 19391

18% of the Dutch area is water. If we exclude water, the population density is 486/km².
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM   #927
niterider
niterider
 
niterider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Likes (Received): 0

A roads are not like motorways - all but a few lack shoulders, and are plagued by roundabouts - which themselves are often one lane wide despite serving 2 lane dual carriageways . They also have slips lanes which are dangeriously short, or sometimes non-existent! Not to mention regular grade level crossings - fine in urban/scarely used areas but often never upgraded over the years when traffic levels increased. Finally, the surfacing on UK motorways is world class - the same cannot be said for the A roads

England does have room for motorways to fill in the 'gaps' - much of the network is already there, albeit as 'A' roads rather than motorway - to change this status quo at the moment is political suicide
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:42 PM   #928
piotr71
Registered User
 
piotr71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beskidy
Posts: 4,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
Also there are a lot of roads which are called as 'A roads' but are basically just the same as motorways, just not classed as one as some vehicles cannot use them...
I would say, they are not. Some of them, after complex improvement and reconstruction might have become motorways. Basically, "A" dual carriageways are closer to Polish "gierkowka" (road enthusiast should know what I am writing about) or Dutch dual carriage - expressways such as Almere ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
A roads are not like motorways - all but a few lack shoulders, and are plagued by roundabouts - which themselves are often one lane wide despite serving 2 lane dual carriageways . They also have slips lanes which are dangeriously short, or sometimes non-existent! Not to mention regular grade level crossings - fine in urban/scarely used areas but often never upgraded over the years when traffic levels increased. Finally, the surfacing on UK motorways is world class - the same cannot be said for the A roads
I utterly agree with the preceding user (niterider)

This week on my trip to London from Portsmouth along A3, I will get - hopefully - opportunity to have a semi - photographer onboard. A3 is one of the roads mistakenly called "almost motorway".
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM   #929
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat
 
Manchester Planner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,831
Likes (Received): 4

I love this site:

http://pathetic.org.uk/

Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #930
Nowax
Nowa Huta
 
Nowax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Krakow Poland
Posts: 852
Likes (Received): 1601

Newry Bypass


SHEEPBRIDGE JUNCTION






__________________
Nowa Huta Wzg
Nowax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #931
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter
 
Comfortably Numb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 2,521
Likes (Received): 309

The UK builds good motorways (no one can deny that). The problem is a LACK of them. How is it that two major and important cities such as Newcastle and Edinburgh are not even connected by so much as a dual carriageway?

When I lived in the UK, I really wanted the A1 to become a full-on motorway, all the way from London to Edinburgh. The route connects so many major cities that it needs to be 100% motorway, even if it's just a two-laner.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #932
Morjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,020
Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
The UK builds good motorways (no one can deny that). The problem is a LACK of them. How is it that two major and important cities such as Newcastle and Edinburgh are not even connected by so much as a dual carriageway?

When I lived in the UK, I really wanted the A1 to become a full-on motorway, all the way from London to Edinburgh. The route connects so many major cities that it needs to be 100% motorway, even if it's just a two-laner.
Some of the dual carriageway A roads in the UK would be considered motorways in some countries, they're very good arterial roads.

But yes it does seem strange that there isn't a full motorway from Edinburgh to London.

Last edited by Morjo; February 12th, 2010 at 08:18 AM.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #933
da_scotty
Registered User
 
da_scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oss/Delft
Posts: 3,356
Likes (Received): 791

Being strict, There wasn't even a strict Motorway connection betwee England and scotland, considering the Carlisle gap,and the A74 (m) -> strictly no motorway, but a road under motorway restrictions,, or has this been rebuild yet?
__________________
Student at Delft University of Technology specializing in Transport & Infrastructure and Airport Design.
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #934
abritishguy
M6 Road Warrior!!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 9
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Being strict, There wasn't even a strict Motorway connection betwee England and scotland, considering the Carlisle gap,and the A74 (m) -> strictly no motorway, but a road under motorway restrictions,, or has this been rebuild yet?
The M6 was extended up to Gretna Green 2 years ago. You can now drive from London to Glasgow via nothing but motorway!

Regarding the question about as to why the A1 between Newcastle and Edingburg isn't motorway is because there isn't much traffic demand for it. In fact, if anything, it could do with a dualling of the single carriageway sections but a motorway between the 2 would be a bit advantagious.
abritishguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #935
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter
 
Comfortably Numb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 2,521
Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by abritishguy View Post
The M6 was extended up to Gretna Green 2 years ago. You can now drive from London to Glasgow via nothing but motorway!

Regarding the question about as to why the A1 between Newcastle and Edingburg isn't motorway is because there isn't much traffic demand for it. In fact, if anything, it could do with a dualling of the single carriageway sections but a motorway between the 2 would be a bit advantagious.
Last time I drove down that section of the A1, there was quite a bit of traffic (and that was 11 years ago!), along with a LOT of lorries. Being only one lane either side, it was hard to overtake when I'd get behind someone doing 45mph.

I'm sure that a full dual carriageway would suffice, but building a full motorway could also help divert a lot of traffic away from the M6 (traffic going north/south).
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #936
PortoNuts
Registered User
 
PortoNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 24,088
Likes (Received): 7503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowax View Post
Newry Bypass


SHEEPBRIDGE JUNCTION






Motorways of great quality!
__________________
Got one head for money and one head for sin..
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #937
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 894

Those aren't normal English motorways, they are generally 2 lanes in NI and 3 lanes in the rest of the country.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; February 12th, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #938
PortoNuts
Registered User
 
PortoNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 24,088
Likes (Received): 7503

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Those aren't normal English motorways, they are generally 2 lanes in NI and 3 lanes in the rest of the countries.
Thanks for the info . Hadn't noticed it before.
__________________
Got one head for money and one head for sin..
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #939
jandeczentar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 2

It's unusually high-quality for an A-Road. Most of them don't have hard shoulders and the slip roads appear to be a decent length. You don't see that very often.
jandeczentar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #940
Nowax
Nowa Huta
 
Nowax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Krakow Poland
Posts: 852
Likes (Received): 1601

Newry Bypass

Sheepbridge Junction






























Carnbane Junction







Camlough Road Junction





















to be continued ...
__________________
Nowa Huta Wzg
Nowax no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium