daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #981
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Most continuous primary dual-carriage-ways are like the A42 you described, like (most stretches of) the A1, A14, A34, A50 to name but a few. I don't think the mapping convention leaves much ambiguity at all.
NCT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #982
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

The point at which the A42 (a dual carriageway and primary route) becomes the M42 (a proper motorway) is clearly shown on maps:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...5&lvl=14&sty=s

Also at that junction you have the A444, a primary A road which is not a dual carriageway.

Basically I think what you're trying to get at is that there should be a map showing both motorways and (primary) dual carriageways? I'm pretty sure though that most, if not all, road maps show dual carriageways differently than single carriageway roads, usually as a double line.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #983
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks, that does help, but the issue I have with this is that there seems to be no distinction between this and a dual carriageway that goes through a city, full of traffic lights and roundabouts.

Basically, the A42 and the primary dual carriageway that goes through Nottingham are two different beasts, yet they seem to be labeled the same way. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken? :-)
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #984
JeremyCastle

piotr71, what company or online service produces the map you're showing?
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

AA Road Atlas
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #986
piotr71

Have a look, it shows (almost)motorway standard roads pretty clearly.

A1- I would read it as a dual carriageway including anything from private properties roadways, lay-by-es and roundabouts, level junctions to multilevel junctions. Least similar to motorway.

A38 - Basically I would expect good standard of this road,
with no interrupted drive by crossroads but some right turns or short merging lanes might happen here.

A42 - That sort of road, in the countries like Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Austria and Switzerland is called "expressway". In almost all cases its standard is such similar to motorways that someone who does not know technical specifications would definitely say-motorway.

This atlas lets me distinguish, what is what:

Last edited by piotr71; March 17th, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:43 PM   #987
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
AA Road Atlas
My example

is AA.
Old March 18th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #988
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Thanks, that does help, but the issue I have with this is that there seems to be no distinction between this and a dual carriageway that goes through a city, full of traffic lights and roundabouts.

Basically, the A42 and the primary dual carriageway that goes through Nottingham are two different beasts, yet they seem to be labeled the same way. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken? :-)
It's pretty obvious which roads are grade separated quasi-motorways and which ones are urban roads full of intersections and lights. This is how I find it anyway.
NCT está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #989
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Yeah, clearly if you see on a map a dual carriageway with roundabouts and other junctions in close proximity to one another within an urban area, then that's not going to be the motorway-like (expressway) dual carriageway which is shown as a straight run in the countryside with non-roundabout junctions (and perhaps even numbered junctions) every couple of miles only.
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #990
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I think what would be interesting is to see an overview map that shows all proper motorways and near-motorway A roads (not Ax(M) that actually are real motorways) to get a sense of the real extent of the motorway(-ish) network. By near-motorway I mean what would be classified as expressways elsewhere, but isn't because there's no such designation in GB: Limited access, dual-carriage roads of at least 2x2, mostly with shoulders, but with no roundabouts, traffic lights, access to properties, etc.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #991
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I think its still a part of A1/A1(M) between Leeds and Newcastle who are not a real motorway. But aren't they going to reclass that part to motorway very soon? All of the A1/A1(M) is dual carriageway and all of the junctions are like a motorway. So what is missing before reclass that part to real motorway?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #992
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
I think its still a part of A1/A1(M) between Leeds and Newcastle who are not a real motorway. But aren't they going to reclass that part to motorway very soon? All of the A1/A1(M) is dual carriageway and all of the junctions are like a motorway. So what is missing before reclass that part to real motorway?
If they did, then some vehicles would not be able to use it. I'm not sure exactly which ones but I think things like normal service buses etc

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #993
csd

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post

Michelin's maps make the distinction you're looking for, namely between 'Dual Carriageways with Motorway characteristics' and other dual carriageways. Check out http://www.viamichelin.com for some examples (use the two less zoomed out scales).

/csd
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #994
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
If they did, then some vehicles would not be able to use it. I'm not sure exactly which ones but I think things like normal service buses etc
Strange that, even before the bus lane plan, regular buses always used the M32 radial in Bristol.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #995
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
Strange that, even before the bus lane plan, regular buses always used the M32 radial in Bristol.
well maybe it wasnt buses but the Dartford crossing isnt a motorway for the reason that is it would stop certain vehicles using it...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #996
scragend

Likes (Received): 0

Highway Code section 227 :-

"227. Prohibited vehicles. Motorways MUST NOT be used by pedestrians, holders of provisional car or motorcycle driving licences unless exempt, riders of motorcycles under 50cc, cyclists and horse riders. Certain slow-moving vehicles and those carrying oversized loads (except by special permission), agricultural vehicles and most invalid carriages are also prohibited."
scragend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #997
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
well maybe it wasnt buses but the Dartford crossing isnt a motorway for the reason that is it would stop certain vehicles using it...
It would be mopeds and agricultural vehicles. I have been on a regular bus on the M32 and it is quite noisy, they really don't like higher speeds. Incidentally Megabus used to use regular buses on quite long distance routes but changed to proper coaches (British word for long distance bus, typically point to point with booking, seatbelts and a luggage hold).
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #998
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
I think what would be interesting is to see an overview map that shows all proper motorways and near-motorway A roads (not Ax(M) that actually are real motorways) to get a sense of the real extent of the motorway(-ish) network. By near-motorway I mean what would be classified as expressways elsewhere, but isn't because there's no such designation in GB: Limited access, dual-carriage roads of at least 2x2, mostly with shoulders, but with no roundabouts, traffic lights, access to properties, etc.
Trouble there is that often such routes don't exist in their entirety. Take the A55 along North Wales for example - it switches from narrow poor surfaced dual carraigeway to 2-3 lanes wide with shoulders, but such sections may only last a few miles.
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #999
JeremyCastle

Maxx Power, I agree. There should be a map that shows the difference clearly. The Michelin online map is quite good I think at that I think. It might be easy for a Brit to say well, it is pretty obvious to notice the difference between a dual carriageway with roundabouts and one that is an expressway, but for the average non-Brit visiting here or someone just looking at a road map of the UK, they won't know this. As a result we see time and time again here on Skyscaper City someone wondering why the UK has a "small" motorway network compared to the rest of Western Europe without taking into account the expressways.

There should be a separate category for expressways and regular dual carriageways, or at least show it as a separate colour/category on maps.
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #1000
JeremyCastle

Studying a map of the UK, I am struck by the lack of a direct connection between Stansted airport and Luton airport. Have there every been any plans to upgrade and extend the A120 to link the two airports? That would avoid having to go down to the M25 and then back up. Seems extremely inefficient.

After that linkup, extend the A120 to Oxford and have it connect with the A34. Seems like the area could do with something like this.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom