daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1561
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

We should ask for money fromm the EU.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1562
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7467

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
That's the problem as I've said a few pages back. Britain is a net giver within the EU, otherwise it would have plenty of money to spend on motorway building.
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

You have plenty of money to spend on motorways even now, but the government decides to use mobility-related taxes otherwise.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #1564
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Guys I had a ride on a M50 just a few minutes ago and these exits are just so bad! Is there any plan to rebuild it?

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #1565
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The southern section of M25 wasn't completed until 1986. (between J3 M20 and J5 M26). But considering the sections shown as "under construction", I would date this map to the mid-1970's.
Correct, I got the picture a while ago and don't have the map anymore, but I'm pretty sure it was dated from the late 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Guys I had a ride on a M50 just a few minutes ago and these exits are just so bad! Is there any plan to rebuild it?
Nope as the M50 these days has little traffic on it, was one of the first motorways built in the UK (hence low spec) and were it built today would most certainly be just a D2.

Sorry

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1566
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Guy View Post
Nope as the M50 these days has little traffic on it, was one of the first motorways built in the UK (hence low spec) and were it built today would most certainly be just a D2.

Sorry
Yes, I know I heard it`s really old and it also looks old. I am living just a few miles from this motorway so I`d like to take some pictures this week. (also of these exits)

Old September 19th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #1567
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

What is the daily traffic volume on M50? I guess the high standarda are not as important on less busy motorways as opposed to busy ones.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #1568
ChrisZwolle
Road user

M50 was opened in two stages, from J1 to J4 in 1960 and from J0 to J1 in 1962. The motorway carries approximately 24,000 to 30,000 vehicles per day.
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1569
seem
Mornar bez mora

It`s really empty on weekends.

Old September 19th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #1570
DanielFigFoz

That motorway is disgraceful...
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #1571
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
It`s really empty on weekends.
Well, 24,000 vehicles per day is not a lot for motorway. However, squeeze that on a two-lane road, and you got yourself a saturated road. There is a huge gap between what looks busy on a two-lane road, and a four-lane motorway. That's because a motorway doesn't just have the double capacity of a two-lane road, but more like a quadruple capacity. Two-lane roads are overloaded at 20,000 vehicles per day, but volumes as high as 110,000 vehicles are known on four-lane motorways.
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1572
DanielFigFoz

I wonder if the UK will ever get a more extended motorway network.
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1573
seem
Mornar bez mora

UK should try to rebuild these 4 lane A-roads to motorways.

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1574
piotr71

Quote:
Yes, I know I heard it`s really old and it also looks old. I am living just a few miles from this motorway so I`d like to take some pictures this week. (also of these exits)
I can't wait to see these pictures

M50 seems to be really interesting part of the olden days engineering. So that, what I am going to say might sound weird, but in my opinion, this motorway should have been left as it is, so have been hundreds historical bridges, paths and other road's infrastructure related objects in Britain . Not every piece of road must be widened, renewed, re-asphalted or so. This particular road has too much soul of sixties to be changed in any way. Not even traffic volume is high enough to carry any reconstruction works there. I'd rather downgrade it to an "A" road than make a proper "M" to save it in present shape.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #1575
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
That motorway is disgraceful...
The M50 is without a doubt my favourite motorway because it never has any traffic and it's by far the fastest way down into South Wales. The substandard junctions give it character
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #1576
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post

M50 seems to be really interesting part of the olden days engineering. So that, what I am going to say might sound weird, but in my opinion, this motorway should have been left as it is, so have been hundreds historical bridges, paths and other road's infrastructure related objects in Britain . Not every piece of road must be widened, renewed, re-asphalted or so. This particular road has too much soul of sixties to be changed in any way. Not even traffic volume is high enough to carry any reconstruction works there. I'd rather downgrade it to an "A" road than make a proper "M" to save it in present shape.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1577
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post

Agreed, there is another fine example of that, take a trip on the M45, all the bridges and structures are original to the road, opened in 1958. Only the intermediate junction with the A45 and some VMS matrix signs are new to the road if I remember rightly.

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #1578
piotr71

Some time ago I posted pictures of unbuilt rest area near J9 on M27. Several days ago, on my trip on M3, I spotted another unfinished project. Unfortunately I couldn't take a picture of it, so am just going to post google map showing that place.

It literally, supposed to be located on J7. Probably somwhere where I draw the triangle.

Entrance:

Exit:

piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:39 AM   #1579
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Yes most likely to be another rest area, there were many planned that went unbuilt, one that I know particularly well is located on the M40 about halfway between junction 4 and 3 towards London. The flares for the slip roads are enormous and have recently been completely coned off with about a million cones all placed right next to each other along the outside of the hard shoulder. If you're travelling that way you can't miss it!

Old September 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM   #1580
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
...in exchange for switching to driving on the right and using 'E' numbering and kilometers rather than miles to measure distances.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom