daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1581
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
...in exchange for switching to driving on the right and using 'E' numbering and kilometers rather than miles to measure distances.
As long as the EU pays for the transition. Although it would probably bankrupt the EU. Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea at all.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1582
sotonsi

I was going to say that metricating (in the tens of billions ballpark), E numbers (next to nothing, given you'll be changing signs anyway), and changing to drive on right (in the hundreds of billions ballpark) would get us all the money we've dumped into that sinking ship over the years back, but Fatfield is much more succinct.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM   #1583
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Why on earth should EU fund an UNECE project?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1584
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 896

Indeed, it's not a EU project.

Anyway, I agree with full metrification, but not with changing the side of the road, I think that thats just pointless.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:01 PM   #1585
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Indeed, it's not a EU project.

Anyway, I agree with full metrification, but not with changing the side of the road, I think that thats just pointless.
Full metrication raises its head every so often on this forum...but never gets raised seriously in public debate. Not going to happen. Lots of cost, very little benefit. It would keep a few standardisation geeks happy, but I sense that most people are fairly happy with things as they are. Metrication is well down the national 'to do' list.
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:30 PM   #1586
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think metrication will be a slow progress. Many units are already in metric.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1587
DanielFigFoz

Yes, Chris, I think that everyone in the UK knows that . On road signs only height and one give way in 100metre sign in Feltham are in metric. Motorway milestones are put every kilometre, but say x.y miles.

Harry, I understand that road sign metrification is down the "to-do" list, but that doens't mean that I don't want it to happen
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:24 PM   #1588
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Motorway milestones are put every kilometre, but say x.y miles.
If you mean these small marker posts that also indicate the direction to the nearest emergency telephone, somehow they are in km. For example 1.1 means 1,100m from the start of the motorway etc.

When I first saw them in a British motorway, I was puzzled and asked my co-driver to check these markers with our car's km indicator (it was a continental car) and it was proved that this is the case.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM   #1589
DanielFigFoz

The thing is, pretty much everything in the UK is in metric, except most road signs.
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1590
sotonsi

Only the dumb people who can't deal with two unit systems actually remotely think that full metrication is worth the cost. It's draft beer and road signs that are the only things allowed to officially be in imperial, but, because metric isn't inherently a better system for everything (especially not everyday stuff), people use imperial for other things.

I know that I was joking when I suggested that it was a good idea to get the EU to pay for pretty much forcing us to use our right hand as left-handedness is 'other' (metrication and switching sides). E routes (I know they aren't an EU thing) will cost not a great deal, and actually would be in some way useful.

Bankrupting the EU would also be fun, but I'd rather we got our money back on something worthwhile than what are basically vanity schemes for the cult of "we should all be the same" - some useful, but expensive to build (due to high construction costs) schemes (both motorway/expressway and rail/tram). Grand Central Station in Birmingham, High Speed Rail network, trams for Leeds, Liverpool and South Hants, South Coast expressway, A303 and A9 upgrades, M67, those kinds of things.
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1591
havaska

Likes (Received): 198

I don't understand why we can't start metrification of road signage though.

They should make it so that when a new sign is erected or an old one replaced they just put both measurements on there. No extra cost and starts the process. Eventually, after a certain period of time, they'll ALL be in metric, and then you can just phase out imperial if need be.
havaska no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:59 PM   #1592
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
...but, because metric isn't inherently a better system for everything (especially not everyday stuff), people use imperial for other things.
Metric system is far better than any other for scientific (and school) purposes and indifferent for everyday use. So why not change? You have only to learn than a standard box of butter is 500 g, that a km is two third of a mile, and that's all. When I went to the USA I survived.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #1593
sotonsi

But given metric is (at best) indifferent in this matter, why bother changing the signs, given it costs money? The only argument for changing road signs seem to be standardisation, which just seems plain illiberal - "we must be the same - no differences allowed".

I can convert - have no problem with using either system, though for some uses I prefer one system over the other, playing to their strengths.

Given you survived in the USA, that's just support for not changing - if you can survive the USA, then surely those from outside the UK can deal with different units for road signs, which is far less of a hassle than dealing with everything being in different units.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:20 AM   #1594
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaska View Post
I don't understand why we can't start metrification of road signage though.

They should make it so that when a new sign is erected or an old one replaced they just put both measurements on there. No extra cost and starts the process. Eventually, after a certain period of time, they'll ALL be in metric, and then you can just phase out imperial if need be.
Are you going to pay for it?

The British people don't want it and we certainly don't need it.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:34 AM   #1595
Fatfield

Quote:
The thing is, pretty much everything in the UK is in metric, except most road signs.
Really? Such as? All road signs are in Imperial.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:38 AM   #1596
sotonsi

Even doing what havaska says will cost extra money - both measurements would need bigger signs, which cost more!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:51 AM   #1597
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Really? Such as? All road signs are in Imperial.
Both Metric and Imperial is used for overhead clearances, while speed limits are in M.P.H only.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM   #1598
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Both Metric and Imperial is used for overhead clearances, while speed limits are in M.P.H only.
Aye, forgot about them. Then again, I never take much notice of them as they're largely irrelevant to me as I don't drive high sided vehicles.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1599
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
Aye, forgot about them. Then again, I never take much notice of them as they're largely irrelevant to me as I don't drive high sided vehicles.
I once drove in the Netherlands through a low tunnel: 3.4 m clearance. Of course this is no problem for a passenger car, but one guy forgot he had bicycles mounted on top of his car Luckily I left some distance.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1600
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Even doing what havaska says will cost extra money - both measurements would need bigger signs, which cost more!
There was a feasibility report done some years ago by DfT about changing signs from Imperial to Metric. The jist of this was that it would cost at least £750m.

Knowing the way we go about things like this, it would take 12 years to implement, and cost about £5bn in the end.

And for our European viewers that's €879m & €5.9bn respectively.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom