daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #1661
sotonsi

Beer in pubs, out of the taps, must be sold in either 1/3 pint (normally not offered other than at beer festivals), 1/2 pint or pint quantities. There was some talk about allowing 2/3 pint for a smaller measure that wasn't quite a half, and also some pubs seem to have exceptions. However, milk and pint bottles of beer are sold as 568ml, as they cannot be sold in pints.

We've established that though.

A lot of bottled beer comes from Europe and is often imported - hence the 330 and 500 sizes - British beer is more often canned. Most bottled British beer come in bottles that are 568ml. 440ml is a bit odd (4/9 of a litre), metrically speaking, but when you realise it's 14 fl oz, it begins to make sense - it's 0.7 pints - this is why cans in the UK are that size, it's like all those cans of food that are 375g - that's 12 oz, or 3/4 of a pound. OK, the conversions aren't exact, but they are close enough not to have to change much in the canning process. 315g is 10 oz - see that sometimes on tinned food

Of course, none of this is relevant, but is useful background to the quasi-metric world we have in the UK, which explains somewhat why metrication is a long way away.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1662
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
I think that's the point the author is trying to make.
But, of course, my point in the bit you quoted and gave the article for was the l/100km is a dire unit for economy 1) because it's a unit of consumption and 2)as we don't use kilometres.

That said, even if I agreed with the author of that article fully (I see his point, but see a lot of straw man there), there's still two things getting in the way of me saying l/100km is a good thing:
1)the author was taking about consumption, which might not be in l/100km
2)it doesn't get rid of the problem that l/100km is an awful unit given the fixed nature of the distance, rather than the fuel - l/km is much better, but doesn't give nice numbers - all fractional or odd decimals.
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #1663
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Beer in pubs, out of the taps, must be sold in either 1/3 pint (normally not offered other than at beer festivals), 1/2 pint or pint quantities. There was some talk about allowing 2/3 pint for a smaller measure that wasn't quite a half, and also some pubs seem to have exceptions. However, milk and pint bottles of beer are sold as 568ml, as they cannot be sold in pints.

We've established that though.

A lot of bottled beer comes from Europe and is often imported - hence the 330 and 500 sizes - British beer is more often canned. Most bottled British beer come in bottles that are 568ml. 440ml is a bit odd (4/9 of a litre), metrically speaking, but when you realise it's 14 fl oz, it begins to make sense - it's 0.7 pints - this is why cans in the UK are that size, it's like all those cans of food that are 375g - that's 12 oz, or 3/4 of a pound. OK, the conversions aren't exact, but they are close enough not to have to change much in the canning process. 315g is 10 oz - see that sometimes on tinned food

Of course, none of this is relevant, but is useful background to the quasi-metric world we have in the UK, which explains somewhat why metrication is a long way away.
You know, I've never seen beer sold in 1/3 of a pint. I'm 47.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #1664
piotr71

I am really sorry to interrupt this fascinating discussion about beer and milk sold in the UK, but I feel deep need to post some pictures taken on M25. It was bad weather that day (rain, clouds, fog and wind) so the images are not perfect, however they give brief overview what's going on between junction 10 and 27 on the mentioned motorway.

We start at the J10 and go clockwise to the J27. All we need to know about M25's widening progress can be read clicking on the link below:

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/doc...B070139wec.pdf
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1665
piotr71

J10

It's 10am, so the congestion has gone to places of work.

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #1666
piotr71

That sign 'end of motorway' isn't put in most fortunate place.

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #1667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19387

Set your picasa album to public Otherwise the pictures don't show.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #1668
piotr71

Over-overhead signage:

Impressive six lanes:

Already rebuilt stretch:

Old September 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #1669
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Set your picasa album to public Otherwise the pictures don't show.
Thanks Chris, but it is set to public. Do you really can't see them now?
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1670
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19387

I can see them now
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1671
Tallsmurf

Likes (Received): 18

My supermarket only sells in litres - never seen anyone complain or not understand.

I have always thought that the solution to the problem is to designate a few pseudomeasures which would be allowed for naming purposes only, such that a Pinte = 500ml and a Pounde = 500g. You could ask for a Halfpinte of beer, but you could not have a two Pinte containier - it would be called a Litre.

Sorted.
Tallsmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1672
piotr71

That's good

To get M1 one must not drive on offside lane which is for M25 only.
Old September 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #1673
piotr71

Old September 26th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1674
piotr71

Old September 26th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1675
piotr71

Approaching 'Bell common tunnel'.

"M25 Bell Common Tunnel Refurbishment is a major maintenance scheme to replace mechanical and electrical equipment that was installed when the tunnel was constructed in the early 1980's. The refurbishment will also upgrade the safety equipment in the tunnel to current European Standards. Construction commenced on the 24th October 2008 with completion scheduled for March 2010.
"

All done!

The end
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #1676
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Great photos piotr71.

Out of curiosity, when was this section of the M25 between the M40 and M1 widened to 4 lanes?

Last time I used the M25 (probably 8 years ago LOL), this section was always 3 lanes. Are they planning to make the entire M25 4 lanes or more wide?
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #1677
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Piotr I can only see a few pictures. Most of them won't show up.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #1678
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

The pics don't show up for me, either... response from server is "403 Forbidden". Picasa doesn't allow hotlinking, perhaps?
Grisent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1679
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisent View Post
The pics don't show up for me, either... response from server is "403 Forbidden". Picasa doesn't allow hotlinking, perhaps?
Not as far as I know. Otherwise why would anyone use paid Flickr-pro accounts or even some shoddy unpaid hostings like Imageshack?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1680
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
You know, I've never seen beer sold in 1/3 of a pint. I'm 47.
I have, several times. Only when it's offered though (Wetherspoons Beer Festivals, and such like). If stopping for just a pint with friends, it makes some sense to try three different beers for the same price (maybe a smidge more) as a pint. It's purely a beer festival thing, which I did say it was.
Quote:
Out of curiosity, when was this section of the M25 between the M40 and M1 widened to 4 lanes?
It hasn't been...

All the signs still say that the J16-19 roadworks isn't open - the HA haven't said that 16-18 is all but finished. IIRC, they have been doing a couple of bits and bobs on weekend nights, even though the roadway and signage is finished in both directions (I guess it's verge work now - just cleaning up and planting)

I haven't been on the newly widened bit, using J18 for coming through Herts, and j16 for coming from Heathrow/Surrey. However, I'm surprised you weren't caught in a jam at J18 - you have 5 lanes go into 3 lanes in a short space, due to the roadworks to the north, and finished nature of the road to the south. a temporary lane drop wouldn't have gone amiss, but I guess you'll have to sign it.

J18-19 should be done before Christmas, at that point they'd 'open' the widened section south of there officially and turn on the Variable Speed Limits.

J19-21 is well underway, but still some time (a year?) off. They've done a little bit on J21-23 - you can see this from the photos.

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom