daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:21 PM   #1841
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Fantastic pics of Hindhead and the M27 Piotr71, not that long to go now! Could you possibly post them here aswell?
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1842
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Sorry, I have no idea what may cause the problem. Some users just cannot see pisasa's pictures. I usually check visibility calling someone in Poland, Germany or England. None of the called people noticed any trouble with seeing pictures. Only trouble with reading images had place using IE, though once switched to another browser the problem disappeared. For that reason I am going to paste a link to my albums. Here you are:
I've just popped back in and now I can see them! Must've been a glitch with my 'puter. Now I can appreciate what interesting pics they are!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #1843
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I have the Picasa problem as well, sometimes I can see them, and sometimes I can't. Really annoying. Flickr always works.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #1844
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7504

Thanks for these updates piotr71, as usual.
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #1845
PortoNuts

Old November 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #1846
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

Is there some generic list of all proposed and under construction motorways (new and enlargements etc)?
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1847
chillout66

Likes (Received): 0

Today when I was driving through M40/A40, I found that on the Bridge, where M40 crosses M25, the Highways Agency was replacing the worn out road surface and is really good that they started resurfacing a piece of motorway which had a lot of cracks filled with tar, but I was wondering, will the new shiny asphalt last long? They've obviously been paving the Motorway in freezing cold conditions. Does this affect the quality of the new pavement?

Another good news for M40/A40 - noticed that in London on a piece of A40 between Northolt and Perivale, new lighting has been installed - the new lanterns are LED!!! Love it Does anyone know if that type of lighting is being implemented anywhere else on major UK roads?
chillout66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #1848
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Is there some generic list of all proposed and under construction motorways (new and enlargements etc)?
The Futures section on CBRD has everything currently in some stage of planning or construction, and the section is in line for a big overhaul soon to make it easier to use.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/futures/

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #1849
piotr71

A3(M)

North.

South.

Pics has been taken here:

piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #1850
piotr71

Work to remove the M4 Bus Lane is expected to start on Monday night (November 15), and the first traffic should be able to use the whole of the extra lane later in the week.
http://nds.coi.gov.uk/content/detail...12&SubjectId=9

So, here we are:

piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1851
PortoNuts

It really didn't make much sense to get horrible jams with an empty lane right on the side.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:46 AM   #1852
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

But the bus lane started at the junction before the elevated section, with the slow lane exiting, the middle lane becoming the slow lane and the fast lane the fast lane in 2x2, with the bus lane next to the central reservation. Now there will be 3 lanes with cars cramming into two at the start of the elevated section.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:49 AM   #1853
link_road_17/7

Location: Milton Keynes - Britain's Most Successful Business City
Likes (Received): 303

Introducing the M4 bus lane reduced journey times for morning peak time inbound (private car) drivers, reduced journey times for PT users, CO2 emissions decreased, fuel consumpton inmproved by 16%, and traffic noise decreased by one decibel, according to Transport Research Laboratory data.

It'll be back before 2012 anyway, as part of the Olympic Road priority route network!

Just shows them making the same mistakes as the previous Government, making policy changes to match the will of (misguided) public opinion, who haven't been made aware of the full facts and benefits of the scheme, and demonstrating TfL is still very car-centric in its policies.

Last edited by link_road_17/7; December 2nd, 2010 at 02:57 AM.
link_road_17/7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM   #1854
sotonsi

There is a sensible reason to remove the bus lane - that, as well as shrinking the queue a little bit, it also moved them westwards by a couple of miles and it's now merged with the Heathrow traffic and caused a long queue. Thus it's a good idea to move the head of the queue back a couple of miles and have two smaller queues and less problems there, using the third lane as stacking space for keeping the traffic problems away from Heathrow, which has problems of it's own.

Of course, none of this was considered for the decision, which was based on people not understanding the point and success of the lane that the two of you have mentioned (the study into the success ignored anything not going into London: M25 to Heathrow traffic is negatively affected) and feeling that it's stupid to have a bus lane which no buses use (forgetting that it was a pro-car improvement that happened to helped coaches and taxis a bit more, of which there were quite a few).

BTW, TfL don't have any authority over the M4, it's the Highways Agency. The removal was about showing how this Government isn't anti-roads, not just TfL.

I also think the lane drop at J3 is staying, but then the two lanes of the mainline widen to three before merging back down (think M2 Junction 7, where the slip road has a lane drop, and then the underpass widens back out to 2-lanes straight away).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM   #1855
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
traffic noise decreased by one decibel,
A difference the human ear will not detect.... 3 dB is around the minimum (which is a speed reduction of 25 mph or a traffic reduction by 50%.)
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1856
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by link_road_17/7 View Post
Introducing the M4 bus lane reduced journey times for morning peak time inbound (private car) drivers, reduced journey times for PT users, CO2 emissions decreased, fuel consumpton inmproved by 16%, and traffic noise decreased by one decibel, according to Transport Research Laboratory data..
Many valid points and whilst not directing this personally, when people use CO2 reduction to push through an agenda which would have minimal impact on greenhouse gases, it makes me cringe. The C02 'saved' is akin to saying removing a miniscule % of 1 water droplet will help prevent sea level rise.

Quote:
TfL is still very car-centric in its policies.
Clearly evident whilst driving around London, with lanes which disappear or merge without warning or are just misaligned, pointless engineered hindrances to traffic flow and relentless enforcement methods everywhere!
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:20 PM   #1857
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Many valid points and whilst not directing this personally, when people use CO2 reduction to push through an agenda which would have minimal impact on greenhouse gases, it makes me cringe. The C02 'saved' is akin to saying removing a miniscule % of 1 water droplet will help prevent sea level rise.
This reminds me of the Swedish CO2 policy, if they want to increase the speed limit on one road, they have to reduce it on another road. Ridiculous symbolic politics with no measurable effect at all. Or how about the banning of incandescent light bulbs in the Netherlands to reduce the national energy consumption by 1% (it grows by 3% per year).
Old December 4th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1858
PortoNuts

Quote:
It'll be back before 2012 anyway, as part of the Olympic Road priority route network!
So what's the point of removing it now?
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #1859
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
So what's the point of removing it now?
Populist politics.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1860
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Or how about the banning of incandescent light bulbs in the Netherlands to reduce the national energy consumption by 1% (it grows by 3% per year).
I'm pretty sure that's EU-wide policy. We're doing it in the UK as well (despite, in the bigger picture, Compact Flourescents being more damaging, what with nasty chemicals and such like used in their manufacture - they are a lot harder to depose of. But heh, green is all about getting rid of CO2 and not much else these days) and it's either being hailed as an excellent EU initiative or a silly EU regulation, depending what news source is reporting...
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom