daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > New York City > New York City > The World Trade Center

The World Trade Center Discussions about the World Trade Center, the original, 9/11 and new redevelopment.

Old July 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 22

1WTC | 1776ft | 541m | U/C | 2013

Freedom Tower

Quote:
Stats

Heights

Antenna/Spire: 1,776 ft (541.3 m)
Roof: 1,368 ft (417.0 m)
Top floor: 1,362 ft (415.0 m)

Technical details

Floor count: 108 floors (82 office space)
Floor area: 2,600,000 sq ft (241,548 mē)

Floor breakdown

* Sublevels - Garage/Retail/Transportation
* Ground Floor - Main Lobby
* 1st-19th Floors (Base) - Podium (Not Occupied on the base except for lobby)
* 20th-63rd Floors - Offices
* 64th Floor - Sky lobby
* 65th - 88th Floors - Offices
* 89th and 90th Floors - Transmission equipment
* 91st - 100th Floors - Mechanical
* 100th - 101st Floors - Restaurant
* 102nd Floor - Observation deck
* 103rd - 108th Floors - Mechanical (Unoccupied)
* Top of the Building - Observation deck Two (Proposed)

Timetable

Groundbreaking: April 26, 2006
Completion: 2009
Occupancy: First Quarter 2011

Quote:
Design Overview

As the first office tower to rise on the actual World Trade Center site, the Freedom Tower recaptures the New York skyline, reasserts downtown Manhattan's preeminence as a business center and establishes a new civic icon for the country. It is a memorable architectural landmark for the city and the nation; a building whose simplicity and clarity of form will remain fresh and timeless in its design. Extending the long tradition of American ingenuity in high-rise construction, the design solution is an innovative mix of architecture, structure, urban design, safety and sustainability.

The Freedom Tower is a bold and simple icon in the sky that acknowledges the memorial below. While the memorial, carved out of the earth, speaks of the past and of remembrance, the Freedom Tower speaks about the future and hope as it rises into the sky in a faceted, crystalline form filled with, and reflecting light. This tall, pointed tower, in the tradition of great New York City icons such as the Chrysler Building and Empire State Building, evokes the slender, tapering triangular forms of these two great landmarks of midtown and replaces one quarter of the World Trade Center office space lost on September 11, 2001. (Overall, downtown lost approximately 15 million square feet of office space on September 11th.)

The tower rises from a cubic base whose square plan - 200 feet by 200 feet - is the same size as the footprints of the original Twin Towers. The base is clad in more than 2000 pieces of prismatic glass; each measures 4 feet x 13 feet 4 inches with varying depths. It has been designed to draw upon the themes of motion and light; a shimmering glass surface drapes the tower's base and imparts a dynamic fluidity of form whose appearance will reflect its surroundings. Just as the rest of the building, the base will serve as a glowing beacon.

Generous open spaces - designed in collaboration with landscape architect Peter Walker - filled with trees, water and places of respite that enliven the surrounding streets, connect the tower with the adjacent neighborhoods and allow views and access into the memorial. While incorporating enhanced security measures, the building remains open and accessible. Entrances on all four sides of the buildings, each 60 feet high and ranging in width from 30 feet on the east and west sides (for access to the restaurant and observation deck, respectively) to 50 feet on the north side and 70 feet on the south for primary tenant access, activate the building at street level.

As the tower itself rises from this cubic base, its square edges are chamfered back, transforming the square into eight tall isosceles triangles in elevation. At its middle, the tower forms a perfect octagon in plan and then culminates in a glass parapet (elevation 1362 feet and 1368 feet) whose plan is a square, rotated 45 degrees from the base. A mast containing an antenna for television broadcasters - designed by a collaboration between SOM, artist Kenneth Snelson (who invented the tensegrity structure), lighting designers and engineers - and secured by a system of cables, rises from a circular support ring, similar to the Statue of Liberty's torch, to a height of 1776 feet.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Quote:
View of the site on July 13, 2007:

image hosted on flickr

source: Mn Photos
Freedom Tower Archive

Last edited by desertpunk; April 4th, 2012 at 01:56 AM.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2
New Jack City
User

First look at Freedom Tower lobby:

Old August 8th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #3
New Jack City
User

August 7 pictures on a hot, steamy and sticky day and gray 92 F/33 C degree day...

I skipped lunch to take these pictures!

Birth of a new skyline...

Tower focus:

BONUS:

Old August 17th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #4
New Jack City
User

From world forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred View Post

Anyway..from SSP:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And this was made by Millios from SSP:

Old August 20th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #5
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Great pic of the outlines where everything will go!! Gives a much better detail
of where the towers will be!
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #6
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 32

the transit hub looks like a big vagina
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM   #7
wong21fr
Reluctant Hobbesian

Likes (Received): 4

That's a cool site layover. I haven't seen that on SSP.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:42 AM   #8
New Jack City
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
It can even open and close!
LOL...niiice.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM   #9
charmedone

Likes (Received): 69

image hosted on flickr

J&R Poster. by Esoteric_Desi, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Construction site from Vesey Street Overpass. by Esoteric_Desi, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Construction site. by Esoteric_Desi, on Flickr

Last edited by desertpunk; October 8th, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
charmedone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #10
New Jack City
User

Redesign, well, slightly:

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #11
Renton12

Likes (Received): 1

You get a better idea of what the crown on the roof looks like with this updated picture. I also never noticed how the tower looks more angled toward the site. Not even with the west side highway like i always thought. Looks pretty sharp.
Renton12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #12
cincobarrio
Lurker

if you go back 3 years and think about what we could have been stuck with, i can't complain at all. the freedom tower and its little friends look good to me...
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #13
cincobarrio
Lurker

i mean, check out how shitty the original freedom tower redesigns look compared to what we have now:

the spire and base aren't great on the current freedom tower design, but it's a definite improvement compared to those fuckin plans

Last edited by cincobarrio; September 8th, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #14
charmedone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkMantle View Post
i mean, check out how shitty the original freedom tower redesigns look compared to what we have now:

the spire and base aren't great on the current freedom tower design, but it's a definite improvement compared to those fuckin plans

i have to say im glad it got chaged the old desing looked just as bad as the chicago spire is going to look
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #15
Daquan13
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

That was Pataki's doing. AKA Who's Your Daddy.

He was stubbornly determined to have that ugly birdcage design built, even though the NYPD tried to convince him that it would be vulnerable to an attack, he ignored their concerns and pressed on.

Yes Renton12, I never noticed that either. The Twins were put there the same way - at an angle, but if you look at there footprints, you'll see that they were perfectly aligned with Church Street, while West Street had them at an angle.
Daquan13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #16
cincobarrio
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13 View Post
That was Pataki's doing. AKA Who's Your Daddy.

He was stubbornly determined to have that ugly birdcage design built, even though the NYPD tried to convince him that it would be vulnerable to an attack, he ignored their concerns and pressed on.

Yes Renton12, I never noticed that either. The Twins were put there the same way - at an angle, but if you look at there footprints, you'll see that they were perfectly aligned with Church Street, while West Street had them at an angle.
i'm not sure what the towers were aligned with, along with the rest of the plaza. in relation to church street, it's a little off and in relation to the neighboring buildings, it's also a little off. maybe they weren't supposed to be perfectly aligned with anything but itself (if that makes sense), but positioned well enough to fit in with the angles of the surrounding streets and buildings... or something like that

Last edited by cincobarrio; September 8th, 2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #17
cincobarrio
Lurker

by the way, the birdcage probably has the same bulk of occupied floors as the current freedom tower. taking into account this plan's number of mechanical floors and huge base, i'm sure the two aren't too far apart. the more i think about it, the more i believe the fortress base was just a convenient way for them to add height without piling on square footage, rather than to protect the lobby. of course, the only thing that matters to me is which is more aesthetically appealing (and a 1400ft observation deck, rather than 800...) and that's obviously the latter.
- i've noticed this from the day the redesign was unveiled, but i was just wondering if anyone else agrees.
Old September 8th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #18
New Jack City
User

Anyone else notice how in the new rendering, the top floors/portion seem to have a slightly different facade? I can't tell if it's meant to be like that or just reflecting the lighting/angle.
Old September 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #19
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jack City View Post
Anyone else notice how in the new rendering, the top floors/portion seem to have a slightly different facade? I can't tell if it's meant to be like that or just reflecting the lighting/angle.
New Jack City ,
My friend,
All I have to say is, " IT's BEAUTIFUL ",
now, let's get it Completed and built and Opened by
September 11th, 2011
all i ever now dream of , Is to see this Tower at 1776 Built in MY Lifetime, PLEASE !!!
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #20
charmedone

freedom tower Construction pictures

i deiced to make a thred of the progress going on at ground zero so yea post pics of the Construction phases heres how it looks

Tags
nyc, spire