daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

The Ram Quarter | Wandsworth | 116m | 36 fl | Approved

Maybe developers will go for residential mini towers as it seems to be the best way of maximising profit on constraint sites like this one...

----------

Minerva’s plans for Young’s brewery in Wandsworth
Estates Gazette

Minerva has announced its vision for a “new urban quarter” for Wandsworth on the site of the former Young’s Ram brewery. Minerva bought the 6.5-acre site for £69m last August and plans to convert the historic brewery, which closed in 2006 after 175 years, into a residential-led, mixed-use development. The planning application will be submitted in September following consultations with local residents, Wandsworth Council, the GLA and English Heritage. The ERP-designed scheme will comprise 700 flats spread across two residential towers of 29 and 39 storeys and a mix of low-rise homes, 180,000 sq ft of restaurants, shops and a microbrewery. Mark Cherry, Minerva’s investment director, said that they wanted to produce an environment similar to Marylebone High Street.

>> Considering that anything above 18 storeys on Wandsworth riverside is reduced in height, I can't see buildings that size having a smooth ride in the local planning system.

"they wanted to produce an environment similar to Marylebone High Street"
>> Yeah well,...in Thamesmead they want that too...
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #2
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
The ERP-designed scheme
Sure it's not EPR?

http://www.epr.co.uk/architects.html

Anyway, I'd support this scheme, provided it's well designed and preferably has a slim, elegant shape. London needs all the residential towers in can get.
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #3
london lad

Likes (Received): 479

Guess what EH arn't happy.

article 7.8

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/u...007meeting.pdf
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 58

I think all SSC Forumers should join EH and change their view of skyscrapers from the inside out
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #5
london lad

Found these pics on lifschutzdavidson site. Don't think this what was finally chosen as EPR are the architects.Minerva had their results today & announced they would be submitting a 1million sq ft scheme by the end of the year.

http://www.lifschutzdavidson.com/

Old September 10th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #6
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

knowing the area well I can't imagine the council would grant permission for a real highriser. Admittedly the location next to the hideous chocker A4 doesn't evidence the best planning intentions, I'd really be surprised if counternance was given to a tall resi here.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #7
ismail

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Guess what EH arn't happy.

article 7.8

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/u...007meeting.pdf
It just so annoying to read those minutes, the whole meeting is spent on complaining about every tower proposal they could lay their hands.
Where is all the discussion on saving the old churchs and other historic buildings?
It's about time they were reminded of their primary role.
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #8
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Found these pics on lifschutzdavidson site. Don't think this what was finally chosen as EPR are the architects.Minerva had their results today & announced they would be submitting a 1million sq ft scheme by the end of the year.

]
Minerva are submitting a 1m s/ft scheme?...now where have I heard that before?

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM   #9
BenL

Likes (Received): 0

We might want to see a thread on this if they progress. As a local resident, the area is a complete dump and if there's no way of keeping the brewery, I'd definitely support this development:

'Ram towers' to alter southside skyline
Mira Bar-Hillel, Planning Correspondent

This is the first image of the twin towers that could dramatically change the skyline of south London.

Developer Minerva wants to build residential skyscrapers of 39 and 29 storeys on the 16.5-acre site of the Young's Ram brewery in Wandsworth, which it bought for £69 million in August last year.

The proposal has met with massive local opposition.

Minerva is expected to make a planning application this month to build the towers as well as a low-rise development featuring 700 flats and shops and restaurants including cafés overlooking the river Wandle. The listed brewery buildings would be incorporated into the scheme.

Minerva describes its proposal as a "new urban quarter", recreating the attractions of Marylebone High Street and opening up the site to the public.

Critics say the scale of development in the heart of the Wandsworth conservation area is inappropriate and transport infrastructure would be overwhelmed. John Dawson, chairman of the Wandsworth Society, said: "We think the proposal constitutes a gross over-development of the site."

Minerva director Mark Cherry said: "These tall buildings are envisaged to become landmark structures for the borough."

Sue Roscoe Watts of the Town Centre Partnership, which represents local businesses, said: "People's perceptions of Wandsworth will change forever. It will be the smart new address south of the river."

BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM   #10
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 173

I actually really like those towers! And I actually really dislike Mira Bar-Hillel.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM   #11
wjfox
Futurist

This looks fantastic. The proportions are wonderful. Really soaring, elegant, slim... nice riverside location. Just the kind of project that you know is going to get a massive height reduction and compromise.
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:21 PM   #12
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1076

Wonderful but EH will not be happy until they are just as high, but pointed downwards instead.

Last edited by wjfox; November 1st, 2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: No need to quote the entire article :-)
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM   #13
london lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post

Critics say the scale of development in the heart of the Wandsworth conservation area is inappropriate and transport infrastructure would be overwhelmed. John Dawson, chairman of the Wandsworth Society, said: "We think the proposal constitutes a gross over-development of the site."
Hmm its deja- Vu. Substitute 'Wandsworth' for 'Ealing' & you get the exact same quote from the local nimbys in the leaf thread. What's the betting if/when towers are proposed in places such as Clapham Junction & other suburban parts of London you will get the same quote rehashed a million times. No surprises for guessing EH are dead against this proposal.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM   #14
mulattokid
BLAND

Yes! no way would the rich of Wandsworth accept this outward sign of wealth??? I genuinely cant understand why.

In addition...I cant see why Minerva would dare risk connecting their name with a skyscraper project these days.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM   #15
Newcastle Guy

This is a very well designed scheme IMO. The towers are tall and slender, the water front is improved with cafe's and trees... I take it this will be a big improvement to the area?

Hopefully Minerva will actually go through with this and not be as stupid as they were last time... Cancelling a stunning 1million sqft tower JUST before a 1million sqft requirement came up...
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM   #16
mulattokid
BLAND

^ I agree, but the other side of the arguement is tha tthe residents here dont want it

(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:31 AM   #17
Newcastle Guy

This is the problem, the people who do want these things are don't mind at all don't tend to harp on about it. The people who don't want it do. Out of ALL the people who live in the area, if 1 or 2% complained, they would give the impression that the majority don't want this scheme.

And lets face it, take out the towers and they wouldn't give 2 flying fraks. People just like to complain. They shouldn't always be taken as representatives for the majority IMO...
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:35 AM   #18
potto

Likes (Received): 1847

I agree, local opposition is always overstated....

"The proposal has met with massive local opposition" ha yeah right, perhaps it should just read, "town halls are too small and makes the angry guy in the Barber jacket echo impressively" or "I just received 5 e-mails from well spoken people".

The media has been caught up on the idea of local opposition/local democracy tripe ever since people barracaded themselves inside condemned buildings, protested against motorways and created TV programmes about needless destruction and loss of heritage, rallying against modernism. Theirs was a mission of deliverying an alternate view on how to create places an ideology, a result of a slow realisation that had built up for decades.

The media is hungry to capture the essence of a new movement, just like the music press now constantly hypes up every new band in the hope that they will be the ones to have first captured the next big thing. We are now in the age of the media creating their own agenda.

However in all these NIMBY cases there is no ideolgical battle, there is no alternate vision, nothing for us to extrapolate the human condition into the practical considerations of out time. It is basically a few selfish bigotted people wanting to have urban convenience but not actually share it with anyone else (sharing that great preequiste of the urban condition!). Theirs is no vision that we can carry forward and is so shallow that it shouldnt be given the dramatic impact it gets from the media (perhaps because they too are part of the new selfish urbanite). If we are a little more sympathetic or naive we can call in the aesthetic card, but what the hell is aesthetic democracy?! It has never and will never exist!

So we all have to suddenly vote and make our voices heard on every proposal? Im sorry but the infrastructure just isnt there to make every voice heard. Until then we will just get a small bunch of loud people that allow journalists to become lazy. Sort of they bring the journalists the news rather than the journalists going out there to uncover something a bit more truthful.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM   #19
Mr-JosE

Likes (Received): 0

This is a huge site. You can really see the scale of the site when they release the aerial views of the scheme.
Mr-JosE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:31 AM   #20
delores

Likes (Received): 172

I have to say everytime I have driven through wandsworth its not left any lasting impression on me. Its a bit of a non place if you ask me. The scheme does look well designed and yes I think opposition is coming from the usual suspects but sometimes I think the solution to every new development should not always be a bunch of towers. Will this really address the context and enhance it?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: