daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #41
oliviersa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Let's first Minerva conclude its rescue package.
oliviersa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #42
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 174

Weren't the qataris planning to buy the company? That would be good. That could even end up reviving the Minerva Tower, couldn't it? It still has planning permission.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #43
BenL

Sadly our local Labour Party and the Labour MP are vocally opposing the scheme, despite my best shots of persuading him when campaigning!
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #44
london lad

Likes (Received): 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
Sadly our local Labour Party and the Labour MP are vocally opposing the scheme, despite my best shots of persuading him when campaigning!
What are their reasons for opposing the scheme (although I can probably guess)?
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #45
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviersa View Post
Let's first Minerva conclude its rescue package.
Can we stop turning every thread into a financial discussion as it really does not interest a lot of people UNLESS the fat lady sings. There is a thread for such matters

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #46
BenL

The MP has a personal dislike of tall buildings - usual stuff - but also it's more political: expensive developments tend to equal Tory voters.
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #47
potto

Likes (Received): 1933

and tory voters hate tall buildings because they provide equality of tenure for the great unwashed masses where the visual que of being closer to heaven grates with their giant social ladder. Oh pissed on by all sides, when will we be free?!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #48
fitz44

Likes (Received): 16

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3129241&c=1

Minerva drinks to iconic Ram Brewery redevelopment
11:57 | 04.12.08
By Jennifer Rigby

Minerva has got the green light for a 1m sq ft redevelopment of the former Young’s Ram Brewery in Wandsworth, south west London.

The developer won consent from Wandsworth Council on Wednesday for the scheme, after agreeing to pledge £41m to fix transport problems.

The scheme will restore listed buildings on the site including the Brewer’s House and provide space for new facilities including a micro-brewery.

The full development comprises four Town Centre sites and set aside more than 200,000 sq ft of space for bars, restaurants and shops.

It will include two towers on the main brewery site, one of 32 storeys, one of 42 storeys. Nine other blocks will range in height from three to 15 storeys.

Planning applications chairman Leslie McDonnell said: ‘The new homes, shops and restaurants come with the biggest transport 'dowry' we have ever secured.

'It is the only prospect we have of getting the money to tackle the area's chronic traffic problems.

‘We have not compromised on quality to get these benefits.

'The whole development has been designed to make the most of the site's unique industrial heritage. It aims to create an attractive environment that will change for ever people's perceptions of the town centre.’

The Wandsworth Town Centre Partnership described the brewery site as ‘pivotal’.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #49
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 9

^ Looks interesting, surprised those towers didn't recieve a substantial reduction in height. The 'Local Groups' that normally pop up during the planning process let their eye off the ball it seems
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #50
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6094

Now the inevitable wait before it's overruled by Boris, and/or called in for a PI.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #51
london lad

Rather surprised by this as I didn't expect Wandsworth to give it permission.
I'm sure the Mayors office already said they were leaving it to Wandsworth to decide this so not sure who else would call this in particularly as its not in central London & near any sight lines .
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #52
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Maybe this will be called in?
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #53
mulattokid
BLAND

I think this will go through. I think if the (notoriously right wing) Wandsworth council has approved then it will pass the turnips test.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #54
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
Im not sure which render of the project is the correct one....there are a few.

(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #55
ismail

Likes (Received): 12

I'm glad this is approved, I really like it.
I'm guessing we won't be seeing it built for several years though.
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #56
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 188

Good news! I doubt it will be called in, but the timing for the market does not look good. Whatever happens though the residential units will sell well if the price is reasonable.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #57
london lad

Positive report from Local paper with obligatory nimby comments below

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...wers_approved/

Wandsworth Council approves Minerva twin towers

7:50am Friday 5th December 2008

comment Comments (1) Have your say »
By Paul Cahalan »

Twin towers, climbing 42 and 32 storeys could soon define the Wandsworth skyline after Wandsworth council approved plans by developers Minerva.

The towers will be built on the site of the historic Ram Brewery, which since the reign of Queen Elizabeth I stood at the heart of Wandsworth, and paves the way for several skyscrapers already planned.

Minerva said its scheme will create 1,000 new homes, 400 jobs and provide a £41m to reduce transport problems around the town centre.

It will also restore existing listed buildings on the site including the Brewer's House and the stable block and provide space for new community facilities, including a micro-brewery.

More than 20,000 square metres of commercial space will be used for bars, restaurants and shops which will complement the Southside Centre opposite.

The old brewery site will house the 32 and 42-storey towers. Nine other blocks here will range in height from three to 15 storeys.

A new riverside walkway will also be built, with three new footbridges across the Wandle.

Leslie McDonnell, chairman of the applications planning committee which passed the plan by nine votes to two on Wednesday night, said the whole town centre would benefit from the planned regeneration.

“This is an ambitious scheme which has the potential to transform the town centre by making it a place where people live, work and enjoy their leisure time.

“Whichever side of the town centre you live, you will be able to walk or cycle through the development on your way to the riverside or the high street or to stop for an evening out with friends,” he said.

“The new homes, shops and restaurants come with the biggest transport 'dowry' we have ever secured. It is the only prospect we have of getting the money to tackle the area's chronic traffic problems.

“The whole development has been designed to make the most of the site's unique industrial heritage. It aims to create an attractive environment that will change for ever people's perceptions of the town centre.”

As part of the deal Minerva will have to sign a legal agreement promising £41m for a series of transport-related improvements.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson said the development met his requirements for the highest quality design and added that GLA designers were satisfied that the applicant had produced “convincing proposals for opening the River Wandle, for new river crossings and for public spaces throughout the scheme”.

Plans for skycrapers in Nine Elms, Clapham Junction and Putney are all in the planning process.

Your Say YourLocal Guardian

ladyl, London says...
9:51am Fri 5 Dec 08
What on earth is wrong with the council 42 storey skyscrapers in WANDSWORTH!!! great now im going to have people looking right through my windows. Its not going to ease transport or anything. Why are they trying to turn Wandsworth into something its not. I take it this will all be for the "richer" side of life???
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #58
potto

Likes (Received): 1933

mmm rich people looking through my windows! If only
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #59
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 9

I know how to solve the problem of people from 42 storeys up staring through your windows - put some curtains up love, they're wonderful things, they can even stop people from accross the road (who might just get a better view of you) from perving as you get undressed!!
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #60
Ciudad Bristol
Virtute et Industria

Likes (Received): 5

yeah, I mean come on, this is Wandsworth not Manhattan.....etc etc

Five car services on the East London Line (ELL) - December 2014
Ciudad Bristol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: