search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO
» Development News | Chicago| Green Bay | Indianapolis | Milwaukee | Minneapolis / St. Paul

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Jeff_of_Dayton

Likes (Received): 2

Findlay Market, a survivor from old Cincinnati

This was one of a couple of neighborhood markets in the basin part of the city. This one is in the northern part of Over The Rhine, in an area that used to be called the Northern Liberties, I think. It is the only one that survived to the present day.

Spice shop. My partner loves to cook, which is one reason we come down here (it’s about a 45 minute drive, so we are here maybe once or twice a month on a weekend). We usually get a bunch of spices and seasonings at this stall

This place usually has a good sausage and wurst selection, a reflection of Cincinnati’s strong German heritage.

Inside the market hall again. This is where the butchers and bakers are at, mostly

A lot of the action is on the outside, on the north side of the market house and the side facing east.

There are little delicatessen and specialty purveyors in the buildings facing the market. The interior of this one looks like it dates from the 1930s or 40s.

Looking toward the farmers market

This is a busy corner, which is why the street performers are here

Continuing to the farmers market. You can see the hills that surround the basin in the distance. Clifton, Correyville, and the University of Cincinnati lie beyond.

Findlay Market draws from all over the metropolitan area and is a survivor from the times beyond living memory, a true Cincinnati institution, but it was, and is, at heart a neighborhood market. The neighborhood around it has always been somewhat poor and working class, and is today one of the poorest in the city. Thus the market makes accommodations for its neighborhood customer base.

…in the farmers market, which has a lot of nearby farmers who do things like organic farming and such.

Heading back to the main market. The market house in the background used to have a bell in that little tower, that signaled the opening of the market. The market bell was is a tradition found in other older US markets.

Yet even more street musicians

This part of the north side is probably the busiest outdoor part of the market.

Food stalls on the outside of the main market hall. They roll up the garage doors and purveyors set up under the roof. Its sort of a nice indoor-outdoor feel.

The south side of the market isn’t that busy. You can see the stall spaces painted on the sidewalk. This market, busy as it is, was probably even more busy back in the olden days. It has plenty room to expand, on this south side. There is one delicatessen here (by those tables) that specializes in German foods, as a last reminder of the original German character of this neighborhood.

The narrow lanes and old churches of Over The Rhine, in the vicinity of Findlay Market.

Markets like this, ones that I have seen, that survive down from the 19th and early 20th century, like the West Side Market in Cleveland and Eastern Market in Detroit, that are still cheap food markets, are true teatro mundi. One sees all types of people from all walks of life and incomes and so forth, mixing here. It is a remarkable place for the food, but it is also remarkable as a social setting of sort.

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #2
gridley
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Great photos, Over The Rhine is an amazing neighborhood.
Those musicians look as though they aren't getting much love

I know that crime is high and many of the buildings are in disrepair with the possibility of loss.
What is the city doing to ensure it's future? It's a real gem and portrait of Americana.
One would think that the German population in Cinci would try to move back and restore it.
gridley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley View Post
... What is the city doing to ensure it's future? It's a real gem and portrait of Americana.
http://3cdc.org/otr/projects

Jeff, this is great!
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridley View Post
Great photos, Over The Rhine is an amazing neighborhood.
Those musicians look as though they aren't getting much love

I know that crime is high and many of the buildings are in disrepair with the possibility of loss.
What is the city doing to ensure it's future? It's a real gem and portrait of Americana.
One would think that the German population in Cinci would try to move back and restore it.
yah, I went to over the rhine last week, and i was all depressed cuz so many gems were rundown and stuff. the fact that one of the cathedrals clocktowers dident have hands was weird too.
And even though i dident feel compfertable getting out of the car, the architecture was just beautiful!
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
http://3cdc.org/otr/projects

Jeff, this is great!
thats great! Hopefully next time I visit, even more beautiful buildings are restored!
I cant wait to see what cincinnati is like in 5 years!
it seems like its going through the same thing indy did.

CHEERS FOR CINCINNATI!!!!!
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #6
Jeff_of_Dayton

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
And even though i dident feel compfertable getting out of the car, the architecture was just beautiful!
I don't feel comfortable getting out of my car in Over The Rhine either, and that prevented me from visiting Findlay Market for many years. I usually passed by on the Race Street side and not noticing any parking lots, or the lot was either full & a bit of a walk.

Last year, I think, I came through this neighborhood a different way and discovered some parking that was closer,to the west of the market between Findlay and Central Parkway, so I park there now. It is a lot with some sort of security, either cameras or they have police or rent-a-cops or something. So parking in tht lot, or on the street right next to it is OK.
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #7
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_of_Dayton View Post
I don't feel comfortable getting out of my car in Over The Rhine either, and that prevented me from visiting Findlay Market for many years. I usually passed by on the Race Street side and not noticing any parking lots, or the lot was either full & a bit of a walk.

Last year, I think, I came through this neighborhood a different way and discovered some parking that was closer,to the west of the market between Findlay and Central Parkway, so I park there now. It is a lot with some sort of security, either cameras or they have police or rent-a-cops or something. So parking in tht lot, or on the street right next to it is OK.
yah, my sister got out, and started taking pictures of the italiante townhouses, and a church, and then this hobo began to run towards her, so she jumped into the car and through a can of diet pepsi at him, and we drove like 6 blocks away. I will probably return once the neighborhood is safer, cleaner, and not as rundown. But it is, infact an architectual orgasm.
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #8
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

^ lol, you guys sound like pu**y's ...

I'm in OTR all of the time in business attire with no problems at all. My 95 pound wife even ventures through Cincinnati's most dangerous 'hood, ha!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it cleaned up and become more gentrified, but you guys are sounding a little too much like suburbanites ... Oooo ... black people!
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #9
Resident

Likes (Received): 3

Haha!
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #10
Unionstation13

Quote:
^ lol, you guys sound like pu**y's ...

I'm in OTR all of the time in business attire with no problems at all. My 95 pound wife even ventures through Cincinnati's most dangerous 'hood, ha!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it cleaned up and become more gentrified, but you guys are sounding a little too much like suburbanites ... Oooo ... black people!
I live in a downtown neighborhood, half my neighbors are black,
I would never live in the suburbs, I would drive my car off a cliff before I did that.
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #11
MABCLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
yah, my sister got out, and started taking pictures of the italiante townhouses, and a church, and then this hobo began to run towards her, so she jumped into the car and through a can of diet pepsi at him, and we drove like 6 blocks away. I will probably return once the neighborhood is safer, cleaner, and not as rundown. But it is, infact an architectual orgasm.
Assuming the guy hadn't touched you or endangered you in any way, your sister would be in the wrong for throwing objects at him. He must not have been too dangerous if you had time to throw a can at somebody before you drove off.
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #12
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCLE View Post
Assuming the guy hadn't touched you or endangered you in any way, your sister would be in the wrong for throwing objects at him. He must not have been too dangerous if you had time to throw a can at somebody before you drove off.
Good point, however ... the story sounds a little too much like a lie.
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #13
MABCLE

Quote:
True.
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #14
Cincinnatus
JUNCTA JUVANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I live in a downtown neighborhood, half my neighbors are black,
I would never live in the suburbs, I would drive my car off a cliff before I did that.
Your actions and words are contradicting themselves ... however, Indy is made up only of about 25% black people so, this may explain something ...
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #15
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Findley is great, and the neighboring streets are in nice shape, but you walk one block away and you are in da ghetto.

My one complaint is that the buildings are starting to look a little 'Disney-esque" if you get what I mean.

I agree with Cincinnatus about the artea being safe. I walked around with a fellow collegue with an expensive camera and took all kinds of pictures of the area. One person did approach us and "offered to learn us the history of the area by following him to some alley behind the market." We passed, but I never really felt threatened.
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #16
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCLE View Post
she threw a can at him becuase he grabbed her arm while she was getting in the car. She dident hit him in the head, she just slammed it into his stomach.
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #17
Unionstation13

Quote:
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #18
Unionstation13

Quote:
Your actions and words are contradicting themselves ... however, Indy is made up only of about 25% black people so, this may explain something ...
since I live in a more african american neighborhood.
But I havent really lived in the ghetto where hobos will chase me begging for money.
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #19
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.
Likes (Received): 8

Excellent as always Jeff.....

Cincinnati is easily the most under appreciated, underestimated, and unknown of America's Great Cities.

Some day, that will certainly change. Probably sooner rather than later.....

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #20
Evergrey
Buffalo's Worst Nightmare

If Cincinnati was in any other country... Over-The-Rhine would be its most desirable neighborhood.