daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #41
Nacho

Likes (Received): 55

Tonight's the night for the Stirrer Summit into the future of Digbeth - so come and have your say about the direction of one of Birmingham's most distinctive quarters.

As regular readers will know, there's been a rumbling row about how to balance the area's growing number of residential developments with the needs of existing pub and club owners.
http://www.thestirrer.co.uk/spotted_dog_2709071.html
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 27th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #42
mergal
Mergal

Likes (Received): 0

I moved into the Aisling Heights development nearly two years ago (into one of the precious key workers rentals) and the greatest discovery has been the Spotted Dog nearby for a late tipple and some good irish music - especially the irish elvis crooner there one night. Absolutely barking mad that this pub now has an abatement order. I find it really noisy at night where i am sometimes - as we have St Annes Club opposite with the salsa nites and other parties - sometimes Ive had to be up early to work on a saturday and the parties keep me awake - but I wouldnt dream of complaining; the club is part of the area's heritage and it was there long before me.

What next - Should we complain about being woken up by church bells from St Annes on a Sunday!!?*@!

I'll be drinking as much as I can in the Spotted Dog to keep their coffers full...
mergal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #43
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 852

Some other events are under threat because of complaints of noise - the biannual Birmingham Carnival and ArtsFest (yeah, it was scrapped because of noise but under pressure the council put it on again this year, this year they had complaints again).

As for the Spotted Dog, I missed Barnard tonight before he went off to host the meeting. I'll try and get some info in the next day or two.
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #44
ILLOGIKAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMan View Post
Some other events are under threat because of complaints of noise - the biannual Birmingham Carnival and ArtsFest (yeah, it was scrapped because of noise but under pressure the council put it on again this year, this year they had complaints again).

As for the Spotted Dog, I missed Barnard tonight before he went off to host the meeting. I'll try and get some info in the next day or two.
I think its very sad when people complain about something that happens once a year...... get a life I say. Its like people who complain about noise on new years eve. What is their problem?

On the problems with complaints in Digbeth/Hurst St area. If you move into the city centre or into a nightlife area than you should expect some noise. Mergal you have the right idea about it! To these people that do complain, all I can say is....... if you really don't want any noise than don't move into these areas.

More fool them!!!
ILLOGIKAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #45
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 123

http://icbirmingham.icnetwork.co.uk/...name_page.html

Quote:
DOZENS of campaigners have accused Birmingham City Council of "institutional bullying" as they fight to save their lively pub.

Music lovers and tipplers from the Spotted Dog, in Digbeth, joined forces to voice their anger after complaints from nearby city dwellers prompted the council to issue a noise abatement order.

In a rousing meeting at the pub, the maiden "Stirrer Summit" saw a huge majority show their determination to keep live music in the Irish Quarter.

The pub customers' protests were first aired in Adrian Goldberg's Stirrer column in the Birmingham Mail.

Bernard Borham, aged 50, from Moseley, said: "We need to keep live music in Birmingham.

"When people moved into the heart of this vibrant area they had to expect it was going to be noisy. If they wanted somewhere quiet to live, they should try a cul-de-sac in Shirley.

"The apartments next door have walls as thin as cardboard, so what do people living there expect?"

Scylla Parkin, aged 47, from arts group Modulate, said: "It's such a shame that this order has come in.

"The pub has served the community here for such a long time, hosting a mixture of events from live bands and 80th birthday parties to wakes."

Adam Crossley, who lives in the Abacus Apartments where the complaint is believed to have originated, said he was shocked that anyone would want to stop live music.

Mr Crossley, aged 28, said: "There are 40 of us who live here who are campaigning to keep Digbeth vibrant.

"We support the landlord, John Tighe, because he runs his pub for people to enjoy - not just for profit.

"It is a city centre area at the heart of a noisy part of town and it is ridiculous that people have complained.

"They should have done their research better before they moved in."

Only three people have complained about noise, according to campaigners, who have been told by a Tory member of the licensing committee that there is little they can do.

Coun Nigel Dawkins said: "If it is not the Environment Act that gets them, it will be the Licensing Act.

"A few residents complaining about noise have more power than hundreds in favour of it. It is a ridiculous Act."

A representative from Abacus developers was at the meeting, but declined to comment.
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #46
ShavenHeaden

How is it possible that people stupid enough to expect to get silence in a city centre apartment, make enough money to buy a city centre apartment?

"We're not all stupid! Just tax the stupid people! LET THEM DIE!" (Ab Fab)
ShavenHeaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #47
feltip

Likes (Received): 326

I love that quote from Ab Fab.

It's all about compromise and flat owners don't get the point of why they moved in there in the first place.

On the point about complaining, it is fair for people to complain if levels of noise or time of disruption exceed what you know is allowed. Like New Years eve, I would appreciate someone unhappy that fireworks were being let out until 4am if they had been given permission till 2am. I think as long as you know what the state of play is then you have no right to complain as you can't claim ignorance.
As they say ignorance is no defence.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #48
blar

Likes (Received): 24

I went to the meeting last night.

There was one couple who live at the Abacus Building who came to the meeting, they said that there had not heard any complaints about noise from their fellow residents. Apparently sound insulation was not instailed on the side facing the pub. People were using Soho in London as an example of good mixed-use and that people living there seem to live together with no problems. There needs to be a compermise between residents and entertainment venues. Developers should really explain to buyers that an area like Digbeth is an historical cultural area.
blar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #49
Biosonic
Second Citizen

In today's Post:

Quote:
...CDD - Co-operative Development of Digbeth (CDD) are looking to organise a public meeting at the Custard Factory before the end of 2007 to discuss the topics raised by the ongoing regeneration of Digbeth.

Speakers from BCC, property developers in the area and the local business commubity will be invited to attend and take part. Topics affecting all who operate in the area will be addressed and open to discussion.

Mr Jones said he was also looking for people concerned about the ongoing regeneration of Digbeth to get involved with the group by emailing Ed King at ed.king@bcguk.com
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #50
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 147

Demolition crews out in force yesterday morning

Behind Irish Centre...

Now you see it... (sorry it's blurred....it was **** cold)

Now you don't...

I kept a brick as a souvenir...(saddo....)

AND...

Say goodbye to DEP International....there must be a UB40 song ti suit this but I can't think of one..

From across the canal...

fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #51
feltip

I like the solitary chimney. They ought to keep it in the development as an alternative obelisk for the square.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #52
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 37

Shame to see it all go. I agree about the chimney! They don't make 'em like they used to anymore! Keep that brick f&n - it's a little bit of a history there . I'll especially miss the DEP studios. They're the only colourful thing on Fazeley Street at the mo.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #53
Nacho

Likes (Received): 55

Nice photos Fruit and Nut.I like the one with the chimney and HCT in the distance.
Nacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #54
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Shame to see it all go. I agree about the chimney! They don't make 'em like they used to anymore! Keep that brick f&n - it's a little bit of a history there . I'll especially miss the DEP studios. They're the only colourful thing on Fazeley Street at the mo.
I was thinking that, but as I stood there watching feeling all melancholy, some bloke came and stood next to me. He said he'd worked in there when it was a window factory in the '70s and it was the coldest place he'd ever worked. He was glad to see the back of it. Certainly made me take my rose tinted spectacles off.

Also took these in Digbeth....

Here's that chimney again....

And the same clearance from the other side by the Anchor pub...

This is up by Abacus on Green St. It should be listed IMO....

BAck over on Fazeley St...I hope these survive....

...and a reminder of what we used to lead the world in...

fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #55
JayPeeDee

Likes (Received): 614

Surely these have the potential for a nice residential conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruit&nut View Post
This is up by Abacus on Green St. It should be listed IMO....

JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #56
paul_kimber
The City Of Birmingham

Afraid Digbeth was like a warzone after the Blues & Villa game today
paul_kimber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #57
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I hope that chimney stays.

They are really getting to work on Digbeth now aren't they? The coach station closed today too.
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #58
brum2003

Likes (Received): 112

Does anyone remember the possiblity of a Glenn Howells design for the area between the markets and the main Road (the island with the market tavern and smithfield house) ?
brum2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #59
feltip

It feels like non stop redevelopment at the moment with all proposals coming out.
This amendment for Smithfield plan has gone in.

Quote:
Application number
C/07403/07/FUL

Date application received
05/12/2007

Date application registered
05/12/2007

Date application decided

Coventry Street, Meriden Street, Oxford Street,, Site of Smithfield Dealership, Digbeth, Birmingham,

Proposal
Variation of conditions

Status
Under consideration

And the Smithfield design.

Smithfield Court
22,296mē of commercial floorspace including the largest floorplates in Birmingham.
Developer: Oakhill Property Group
Architects: Associated Architects
Planning ref: C/02783/02/FUL

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #60
Brummyboy92
Brummy and proud

Likes (Received): 136

ermmmm its ok I guess, nothing special however better than other things write now.
Brummyboy92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
creative, eastside