daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old March 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #81
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 44

Digbeth is one part of the city with a real soul. Live music venues, indpendent pubs, a couple of good clubs, interesting buildings and real history.

This is the sort of area the council needs to encourage, and will do a lot more for the city's image that advertising boards at Euston station.
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 5th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #82
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 25

Digbeth should develop nicely as an area for independents. There is so much redevelopment going on yet very little is likely territory for large chains. I might be wrong but i don't fancy we will get too many Greggs and Tesco Metros and Weatherspoons within the likes of Connaught Square and some of the other developments. There will be a few, and i'm sure at least one of the major retailers will do a medium sized food store somewhere but the area should developp fairly free from the major retailers because it is slightly separated from the city core. Once the area has reestablished itself and the wholesale market site is redeveloped the city center will be better connected bringing loads more people and businesses into the area. in the mean time it is likely that indies will push further in the area.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #83
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 49

Bit quiet in planning this week, but this might be of interest:

Quote:
C/01197/08/FUL

Date application received
29/02/2008

Date application registered
03/03/2008

Status
Under Consultation

Charles Henry Street, Former Joseph Ash Site, Digbeth, Birmingham, B12

Proposal
Temporary change of use to 334 space surface level car park

Applicant name and address
Stylespace Ltd
1-17 Silver Street
Kings Heath
Birmingham
B15 3AA

Agent name and address
CSJ Brooke Smith
Somerville House
20-22 Harborne Road
Edgbaston
Birmingham
B15 3AA

Council decision
Under consideration

Decision date

Consultation details

Consultations Help

Start date
03/03/2008

End date
28/03/2008
The design statement says "The site is currently vacant. It is proposed to use the site as a car park pending more detailed proposals for the comprehensive redevelopment of the site"

The applicant is "Stylespace Ltd" - can't seem to find out much about them. My guess is they bought the land cheap and will sell it on once it is worth more.
Old March 15th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #84
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Yeh noticed that the other day! Dont know of any plans for the site.
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM   #85
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Likes (Received): 50

The old UB40 building on Fazeley Street, the painted one with the hand, is now no more!

I went past today, and it looks like a pile of square smarties!! Lots of pretty colours!!!!
fruit&nut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #86
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 20

Aww that's a shame. I noticed it had been fenced off when I saw it a couple of weeks back.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #87
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

That was then....

....and this is now....

Not an outstanding building if you ignore the artwork....but I'm sad to see it go.
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #88
woodhousen

or if you do more digging, i recon you would find the 'styspace Ltd' is probably connected with a larger company of developer.....
Old March 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #89
feltip

Likes (Received): 219

Latest additions to July Festival event: Birmingham Supersonic

Quote:
Julian Cope's new project for Birmingham's Supersonic
Gravetemple join Asva, Battles, Harmonia and others on line-up
Mon 17th Mar 08

This year's Supersonic Festival held at The Custard Factory in Digbeth, Birmingham have announced the latest additions to the line-up and they include Gravetemple the project featuring Julian Cope with Stephen O'Malley of Sunn fame, Orem Ombarchi and Attila Csihar from Mayhem!

Also confirmed are Asva, featuring Stuart Dahlquist (Sunn/Goatsnake/Burning Witch), Trey Spurance (Mr Bungle) and Edgy 59 (vocalist from Burning Witch) who return to our shores for their first shows in two years, and an Osaka Invasion in the form of DJ Scotch Egg, Ove Naxx, and a load of other Japanese acts.

Also confirmed for the event running from Friday 11th to Sunday 13th July are Battles, Harvey Milk, Efterklang, Harmonia, Noxagt, Earth, Wooden Shjips, Thrones, Oxbow, Justice Yeldman, Dalek, Orthodox, Black Sun, The Owl Service, Max Tundra, Magnetaphone, Pcm, Einstellung, and Guapo.

The Supersonic festival aims to be an eclectic and experimental playground where new and emergent talent exhibit their skills alongside established and world-renowned practitioners. Whilst the focus is on experimental music, Supersonic acts as an umbrella for creative practice in any media or art form.
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/080317e.shtml

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #90
fruit&nut
A glass and a half...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen View Post
or if you do more digging, i recon you would find the 'styspace Ltd' is probably connected with a larger company of developer.....
that's a bit cryptic woody!
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #91
mk61
Methinks therefore meam

According to Creditgate.com, their registered office is 1-17 Silver Street Kings Heath, and they've been around since '96, which tells us nothing except they've existed for over a decade.

http://www.annualreportgate.com/STYLESPACE+LIMITED.aspx
mk61 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #92
abacus

As we all know aspects of Digbeth are currently under threat in the name of poor planning and progress. In the name of fun have a look at this highly polished video on keepdigbethvibrant.co.uk
abacus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #93
Biosonic
Second Citizen

I think Digbeth suffers from lack of masterplan/policy, which is being addressed now.

Can't see the video work internet doesn't let me! Is it the one The Stirrer features?
Old March 19th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #94
mikey23

Likes (Received): 16

KeepDigbethVibrant were marching in the paddys day parade - a grim reaper figure was leading a coffin, followed by banners 'Keep Digbeth Vibrant'.

A lot of people didnt understand what they were protesting about lol
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #95
mikey23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosonic View Post
I think Digbeth suffers from lack of masterplan/policy, which is being addressed now.

Can't see the video work internet doesn't let me! Is it the one The Stirrer features?
I disagree, i think thats what makes Digbeth the little gem that it is. Its all a bit miss-mashed, but it works well together.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #96
Biosonic
Second Citizen

But it is largely derelict area with some appalling buildings.

When I say masterplan, I don't mean a prescriptive document for glossy new buildings - just some general guidance as to what uses, materials, sizes.

Otherwise it could be theoretically possible to build a massive superstore right in the middle. The masterplan would be to protect Digbeth as much as to help it.
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #97
mikey23

Ah i see. Then yeah, i'd agree with that.
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #98
feltip

Likes (Received): 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey23 View Post
KeepDigbethVibrant were marching in the paddys day parade - a grim reaper figure was leading a coffin, followed by banners 'Keep Digbeth Vibrant'.

I think Mr Death was from the Spotted Dog. He was saying how he would be at the parade to highlight its plight and knock on impact to Digbeth.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #99
abacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey23 View Post

There was a hope that people might be curious enough to visit the website and read about the issues that threaten Digbeth's community. In view of the fact that Digbeth may lose the Spotted Dog it was an attempt to get the message across. The council haven't listened so it was worth a try. Better that than plan to spend St Patrick's in the Spotted Dog next year and then on turning up wonder why it has disappeared. Indeed given that we have already lost Cleary's we could turn the day into spot the Irish bar, issuing magnifying glasses to those that turn up. We'll see who is laughing out loud then!
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #100
abacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacus View Post
There was a hope that people might be curious enough to visit the website and read about the issues that threaten Digbeth's community. In view of the fact that Digbeth may lose the Spotted Dog it was an attempt to get the message across. The council haven't listened so it was worth a try. Better that than plan to spend St Patrick's in the Spotted Dog next year and then on turning up wonder why it has disappeared. Indeed given that we have already lost Cleary's we could turn the day into spot the Irish bar, issuing magnifying glasses to those that turn up. We'll see who is laughing out loud then!
By the way this isn't just about protecting the Irish community it's about protecting live music venues which for most is the essence of Digbeth. There are a few residents in Digbeth who would love for nothing more than to see the demise of music events/bands playing at The Custard Factory and Rainbow. As with the Spotted Dog it only took 3 complainants (1 was enough) to put an end to that.

Tags
creative, eastside