daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Old July 17th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 5033

MISC | Fare Evasion

Is fare evasion a major problem in your city?

BART scam cost $300,000 a year in lost revenue, officials say
9 March 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Tech-savvy commuters dreaming up ways to beat the subway out of fares will have to come up with a new method after transit officials thwarted a scam that cost the agency up to $300,000 a year.

Counterfeiters sliced the magnetic strip on Bay Area Rapid Transit cards, cut it into smaller strips, and spawned multiple new cards.

In January, BART engineers figured out a way to stop the scam, but officials estimated the agency lost an average of $830 a day, or more than $300,000 a year, in revenue.

As they have elsewhere, commuters here have always tried to scam free fares. Fifteen years ago they manufactured their own magnetic strips to make BART cards. There was also the classic: tying a string to the end of a bill; after slipping the bill into the fare machine to buy a BART card, scammers would pull the money back out.

BART managers are banking on new technology -- so-called smart cards -- that are embedded with microprocessor chips that can be used for various transactions, such as adding and deducting value on a transit ticket. Officials believe they are more secure than magnetic strips.

BART hopes to have the new system in place within two years. People would be able to use the smart cards to pay for parking at station lots and for BART rides. The chips could be expanded beyond cards and made even more user-friendly by embedding them in cell phones and watches.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Electrify

Likes (Received): 0

With the York Region BRT, the ticket validators cut the corner of the ticket and print the time the ticket expires at. However, they always have problems and sometimes it may cut the ticket but not print the time. Next time it does that to me, I'm keeping it as my blank cheque for free rides
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #3
goldbough

Likes (Received): 2

I just responded to the Paris bike thread and this is exactly what I'm talking about. In cities including Denver, Dallas, and Houston, the fare is an honor system. There are no gates or entrances and exits for platforms. Instead those cities have undercover officers doing random checks on the rails and writing tickets for fare evasion. The fine is around $70-100 and many people have been caught, but who knows how many people have gotten away with it. I'm just tired of people not paying for the service.
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #4
York Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
With the York Region BRT, the ticket validators cut the corner of the ticket and print the time the ticket expires at. However, they always have problems and sometimes it may cut the ticket but not print the time. Next time it does that to me, I'm keeping it as my blank cheque for free rides
Check the back of your tickets. It's usually printed there as well.

It's pretty sad that on a forum that discusses improvements for public transit, there are people like you that openly admit to scamming systems. Good job, buddy!
York Transit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Inevitably fare evasion will be far easier on these half honour ticketing systems as inspectors can only do limited spot-checks across the system, hence Viva and Vancouver's Skytrain are vulnerable to scammers. For people going a few stops along the way, it's quite easy to just pop in and out without being noticed.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #6
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 293

I imagine it would be rather easy to avoid paying during rush hour with honour system payments.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #7
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 264

Hamburg's system is also an honour system. But there are random controls and the inspectors have two strategies:
1. They form a human barrier at each entrance of a particular station. That means anybody entering, exiting or changing lines at this station will be controlled. This method is mostly used at important stations.
2. They enter a carriage through both doors (there are only two doors per side), therefore blocking the way for fare evasers, and then they check every passenger until the next station, where they proceed to the next carriage (if they haven't found a fare evaser).

The fines are 60 Euro (ca. 83 US-$) if you have absolutely no ticket and 5 Euro (ca. 7 US-$) if you have just forgot your ticket. In the latter case you have to go to the customer service center as soon as possible with your ticket and pay the small fee there.

I guess the loss in revenue by fare evasers is being absorbed by the income through these fines. So it doesn't make a difference. The network-system of Hamburg is also the system with the least needs for public funding in Germany (80% of the running costs are absorbed by own income. It could be slightly above 100%, if politicians wouldn't demand unprofitable buslines to serve every village in the network area).

Last edited by DiggerD21; July 20th, 2007 at 04:14 AM.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 82

One part of the fare-evasion strategy here:

Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM   #9
-Bigass-

my bro decided not to pay $5 for a daily concession ticket and ended up being fined $150
-Bigass- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM   #10
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

I know this sounds really whimpy,but as a child, after taking a free ticket on the train with some of my mates, I was so stricken with guilt that the next day I went down to the station, bought a ticket for yesterday's journey: and threw it away.

When my daughter got done for evading fares ... I paid her fine. There was about a fifty-to-one differential.

The next and last time she did it, I left it to her to sort it out. She's an honest citizen now.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM   #11
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 13

About time they come up with smartcards, SF is soooooooooooo slow...

In HK you can also pull off a 'scam' since student/seniors/children tickets are half priced, put going through a machine will produce a different tone, and where they are installed, a light will light up.

However, there are rarely officials to check, and people at my age can easily pass off as students when I'm actually a traveler...

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM   #12
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

If people are determined to cheat the system all the time, is there any hope?

All I can say is ... if you cheat your transit system, you cheat your clients too.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 11:36 PM   #13
-Bigass-

I always buy a fare because I'm not stupid.
-Bigass- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #14
Max Power
Richmond Hillite

Ha, in suburban Toronto with the VIVA bus system, you can take the bus without having to pay squat, literally. There are fare inspectors are some stations but they are sparse in my travels. I see them around 1 out of every 20 bus rides! Yes, 1/20!!

I know there must be plenty of people freeloading this system but u can take ur chances; the fine's 150 big ones. At first, I didn't know you even had to pay and so, I thought the ride was free because of the lack of fare inspectors.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #15
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 214

In Toronto, there are many subway stations which directly interface with surface bus routes. People can just walk right into the subway station by walking on the bus path. There's so many signs that say "DANGER, DO NOT ENTER" but you can already see that there's no danger at all because you only need to walk 1 minute to enter the subway station without paying. I find it hilarious yet saddening at the same time. I see people fare dodging this way all of the time.
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #16
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Perhaps Melbourne's multi-transit system works better?
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #17
Cristovão471

Likes (Received): 7

London is a bitch with their system, that you have to tap on your'way out' or you can get fined amassive amount, then in many other 'big' european cities you didn't have to do so. So when I was in Madrid I was trying to find the place to insert my card on the way out, 10 secs later I realised it was a metal gate.

Last edited by Cristovão471; July 28th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Cristovão471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #18
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
About time they come up with smartcards, SF is soooooooooooo slow...

In HK you can also pull off a 'scam' since student/seniors/children tickets are half priced, put going through a machine will produce a different tone, and where they are installed, a light will light up.

However, there are rarely officials to check, and people at my age can easily pass off as students when I'm actually a traveler...
It's a similar situation over here - international students are not eligible for concession fares, and ticket checks are very rare on buses because everyone must pass the driver when boarding, but it is not their job to ask for proof of concession. Many international students who travel mainly by bus therefore buy concession tickets.

Then one day, I saw a car parked at the bus interchange at uni, and a carload of ticket inspectors waiting for the next bus to arrive. That's probably a couple of thousand of dollars in fines right there.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #19
lordcreso

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Bigass- View Post
my bro decided not to pay $5 for a daily concession ticket and ended up being fined $150

He´s lucky. Here in bilbao you might be fined until €500.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #20
hkskyline
Hong Kong

NYC transit officials scheme to end plague of bus fare evasion that may be costing millions
3 September 2008

NEW YORK (AP) - New York City transit officials want to put a stop to bus freeloaders.

Transit officials say data they collected shows about 130,000 riders boarding buses without paying. That means the public transportation system could be losing out on millions of dollars, money it could use to shore up its sagging budget.

NYC Transit Vice President Joseph Smith says the agency has identified the worst routes and bus stops. But it still has yet to implement a plan to stop farebeating.

Fare evaders often get on buses by entering rear doors opened by exiting passengers. Drivers are told not to stop the freeloaders to avoid getting assaulted.

Transit officials say the worst routes for "theft of service" are in the Bronx and Brooklyn.

------

Information from: Daily News