daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #61
IU
->

On the New Delhi metro, if you travel without a ticket or beyond what you paid for then you'll have to shell out Rs 50 (about a dollar) and the difference amount of fare.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #62
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18164

Jumping the train might seem a victimless crime, but it costs rail firms £40m a...
17 February 2010
Eastern Daily Press

Jumping the train might seem a victimless crime, but it costs rail firms £40m a year.

Last night ticket inspectors and police launched a crackdown on fare dodgers on the King's Lynn to London line, with platform checks at busy Downham Market station.

Half a dozen teenagers who neglected to buy a £1.80 ticket before hitching a ride to Lynn Mart found themselves - or more likely their parents - £20 worse off, when they arrived on the 16:08 to find station exits blocked by a uniformed reception committee.

Gavin Vanns, a revenue inspector with First Capital Connect, said: “They got a free journey to Lynn, so they thought they'd got away with it - they got a bit of a shock when they got off the train.”

Mr Vanns said under-18s could expect a £20 fixed penalty ticket, while adults would be prosecuted if they could not pay the £20 or 10 times the single fare for the journey on the spot. He said checks at Downham and other stations on the Lynn-London line would continue.

“Depending how it goes today, we'll be doing it every now and then and there'll be not set pattern to it,” he said.

Train operators like First Capital Connect are reluctant to speculate on the amount fare dodgers cost them in lost ticket sales, now trains rarely have a ticket collector on board.

“Industry-wide, it costs upwards of £400m a year that could be invested into new trains, stations and things like that,” one senior rail source said. “Why should fare paying passengers have to pay for those who refuse to.”

While the recession is believed to have increased levels of fare dodging on some major lines, the presence of Lynn Mart, a 15-minute ride away from Downham's Victorian carr-stone station, proved too much temptation for some yesterday.

Colin Sampson, chairman of FLUA (the Fen Line Users Association) said: “As far as I'm concerned they should all be caught, fined or jailed.

“If all these people paid their whack we wouldn't quite see nil fare increases but there'd be a better deal for the rest of us.

“FLUA would like to see revenue inspectors on every train and more stations staffed for longer. It's a problem all over the system, not just on this line.”

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:09 PM   #63
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver; Canadaplus, per Montreal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
the driver never fusses with my 'disqualification'
where, decade upon decade, I've yet to see a driver refuse boarding to a fareless passenger

Last edited by trainrover; December 1st, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 03:47 AM   #64
trainrover

Montreal

15 Dec 2011:
M I know it’s late in the week and this probably won’t get posted but I just want to say to all you stupid cops who hang around the metro, you are so lame. Walking up to homeless people, honestly, and giving them TROUBLE for hanging out in the metros. Hope you’re happy with the nice warm home you get to go to at night. [BLEEP!]

M Hello, hey, listen, today I took the subway and when I was coming out, I ran into these two security guards asking me of proof of payment for the subway. Now they were all dressed in BLACK—weapons, pepper spray, batons, bullet-proof vests, shaved heads, leather gloves. And I asked them, “Do I have to?” Well, they started really POSTURING and stuff and I was looking at them and I realized, this is not supposed to happen in Canada. You know, big dudes wearing uniforms with weapons asking for my ******* papers type of thing? I thought my grandpappy went to war to stop shit like that. And I don’t say that lightly. I’m not a 10-year-old kid. I know what the Nazis did and I know how it started. And that’s how it started.
[adopts German accent] “Your papers, please?” So watch out, Canada. It’s coming. We’re moving towards a POLICE STATE, just like the U.S. is now. [BLEEP!]
22 Dec 2011:
M I’m just calling in response to the guy who was talking about the armed, shaved-headed and leather-gloved STM cops. Dude, you’re exactly right. That is exactly how NAZI GERMANY started. And we are well on our way to a police state, just like you said. That’s how they get you used to intimidation. It’s called INCREMENTALISM—one step at a time. First they’re asking for a proof of payment of your three-dollar metro ride and it only goes up from there. Keep a good eye out, everybody, and have a safe holiday season. Much love. [BLEEP!]

M I also was just at Guy/Concordia metro station and six of their METRO COPS were there making people wait in line so we could get out of the subway. We had to show our Metro pass just for verifi*cation. I find this very offensive. What is this, GERMANY? Six guys standing there, paid between $15 and $20 an hour just on the off-chance that they might get someone who—WOOHOO—ripped off the STM for three dollars. Meanwhile punishing the people who are actually paying? And I have to wait to get out? That makes no sense, it’s ridiculous. So I’m getting a bike soon. [BLEEP!]
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #65
trainrover

Montreal

If money's what the STM's chasing, then how come they don't bother chasing its dozens and dozens of careless, posing passengers who snub anybody else by mucking up the side seats in front of them with their soiled footwear while shoving their crusty arseholes up and out at everybody in front of them? For crying out loud! even the forward/backward seats are being mucked up nowadays. I boarded a train just the other day and went over to the next cell of seats beyond, because each one of the four side seats was being made out as footrests. Plus, just the other week a pair of senior STM managers set no example, coz they refrained from asking the offending passengers to place their footwear back onto the floor.

:PFFT: Either hopping from wagon to wagon or hiding in some platform- or mezzanine-level nook, fare inspectors abounded last month, although nary a cop seen since summer last year the cops being the ones empowered to dish out fines for all other types of infractions.

Montréal est surpeuplé par trop de poseurs!
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #66
trainrover

The following day to , this (06 Jan 2011 ):
Man shot dead after Montreal police officer stabbed
In the second reel (of three consecutive ones), news anchor should have summarised 'at Bonaventure station', not "Place Bonaventure".
The police forces still aren't saying what happened, yet news radio's reported earlier this afternoon that they are looking for next of kin, informing the public of a toll-free number to call, because the man was homeless, in his 30s, from Iran, reserved, and kept to himself. Another TV station said that it isn't clear whether the officers involved were a patrol dedicated to the metro network or regular ones responding to a 911 (emergency) telephone call. The shooting happened nearby one of the pair of ticket booths above the platforms at the busy intermodal metro station.

Because of the ongoing mysteriousness, I suspect this altogether to be fallout from fare evasion
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #67
trainrover

Today's further six letters of reply ():
Métro cops* make no friends
* Probably STM fare Inspecteurs as opposed to police officers...

Yesterday's four letters of reply ():
Rough rides and the métro

One of Tuesday's op-eds ():
Fining student† who tossed métro ticket is abuse of power
† A.k.a. "pupil"
BTW, the programme of removal of all garbage cans from all platforms appears accomplished this year which I suspect is in response to hapless passengers who were tossing their (ginormous) tickets into the bins
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #68
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MBTA honors conductor who uncovered multi-million dollar fare evasion case
Boston Globe
By Eric Moskowitz, Globe Staff
12/14/2011 1:00 PM

The unraveling of the largest fare evasion case in MBTA history began with conductor John Slyman and a single discolored pass on the Providence commuter rail line.

The fading was a red herring -- the monthly pass had been run through the wash. But the unsettled customer’s shifting stories in response to Slyman’s questions suggested that something was awry, so he called for transit police and the commuter rail trainmaster to meet him at South Station.

That March 11 discovery prompted an investigation that uncovered what authorities say was an extensive ring to manufacture and sell millions of dollars worth of real but unauthorized MBTA passes. Four people have been indicted in the case.

This morning the MBTA Transit Police awarded a certificate of appreciation to Slyman for his attention to detail, and certificates of commendation to five T employees critical to the subsequent investigation.

“I never expected something of this magnitude, but I did think the pass was no good,” said Slyman, 53, of Foxborough, a ninth-year conductor with the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad Co., the private contractor that operates commuter rail for the MBTA. “It was a shock to find out how big an operation this is and what happened.”

Slyman, a former flight attendant, said he enjoys his rapport with riders. He appreciates that customers who spend up to $250 a month on passes are frustrated when conductors on crowded trains sometimes avoid checking passes and collecting fares, so he makes a point of being diligent.

That paid off in March when he paused on a busy morning run to take a closer look at the faded pass one woman offered him. “It looked pretty beat up. It was early in the month and it shouldn’t look that bad,” he said. When he inquired, she nervously offered a confusing back story.

“If you do this for awhile, you can get a sort of feeling if people are not being completely candid and honest,” Slyman said. “The story had changed three times as to what happened to the pass and where it came from, so by that point in time, I realized something was going on.”

The attorney general’s office says the scheme was traced back to Andres Townes, a 27-year-old MBTA subcontractor from Revere who was employed by Cubic Transportation Systems, the company that handled online, employer, phone and other MBTA pass sales outside of stations. Townes was arrested in May and indicted in July.

Three others who allegedly helped Townes in a Craigslist-aided ring to distribute the passes throughout the region were indicted last month.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #69
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Folks, please note that we can no longer repost articles in their entirety... we have to quote only a few sentences, or a paragraph at most and then link to the original article. This is very, very important, please!
thanks.
Otherwise, outright copying newspaper reports onto SC fora contributes to making journalism impotent ... I bet the Boston Globe themselves used to be wieldy enough, once upon a time, to have put their own sleuths onto such uncoverings being reported above here ... besides, SC does not own the article, plus newsreporting media worldwide need all the traffic possible if they're to remain viable --maintaining any advantage to which they do possess the right(s)-- here on Earth
Old January 14th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #70
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:

Otherwise, outright copying newspaper reports onto SC fora contributes to making journalism impotent ... I bet the Boston Globe themselves used to be wieldy enough, once upon a time, to have put their own sleuths onto such uncoverings being reported above here ... besides, SC does not own the article, plus newsreporting media worldwide need all the traffic possible if they're to remain viable --maintaining any advantage to which they do possess the right(s)-- here on Earth
So providing an outlet for various media's works to be shown to a wider audience would harm them? If they don't want their works to be discussed in a discussion forum, then they should not put the content available. Various forum leaders still don't have a full understanding of copyright implications and the doctrine of free use, which is something I've been bringing to the attention of the entire management team. If any publisher wants to argue for their copyright protection, even your links can stir up plenty of trouble in the legal world.

Can you pinpoint exactly what clause in copyright law does my post violate? I fail to see much substance in your ramblings.

Old January 14th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #71
Cristovão471

Likes (Received): 12

On the Melbourne tram system about 20% if not more fare evade. If caught you face a $180 fine. Supposedly they loose about $80 million in revenue.

Now with the new touch card system it's even harder to find places to top up the credit, so many people including myself have no option but to fare evade.
Cristovão471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #72
trainrover

It's between 217$ and 500$, + an approximately-65$ administration fee in Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
So providing an outlet
Fully copying their published report robs them of any possible outlet, plus it's outright disrespectful and ignorant ...
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #73
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Fully copying their published report robs them of any possible outlet, plus it's outright disrespectful and ignorant ...
Wrong. That's not how copyright law interprets fair use.

Old January 15th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #74
trainrover

As though two negatives make a right Try telling that to my country's Supreme-court judges who recently
--uhm-- offed their ruling, mate ... electronically-speaking, their Webpages hosting their reports are altogether their outlet, so the full copying-in of their electronically-posted articles by mere members 'round here robs them of their own fora ... none of us owns any one of their articles, which --rest assured-- it seems nigh SC's about to learn ... plus they themselves are the ones who wish their reports to be discussed on their turf, not by we ourselves in the midst of our own muckiness over here

Your fora depend on advertising just as much as any newspaper's electronic forum does ... I'm merely saying, "Be careful!"

Last edited by trainrover; January 15th, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #75
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
As though two negatives make a right Try telling that to my country's Supreme-court judges who recently
--uhm-- offed their ruling, mate ... electronically-speaking, their Webpages hosting their reports are altogether their outlet, so the full copying-in of their electronically-posted articles by mere members 'round here robs them of their own fora ... none of us owns any one of their articles, which --rest assured-- it seems nigh SC's about to learn ... plus they themselves are the ones who wish their reports to be discussed on their turf, not by we ourselves in the midst of our own muckiness over here

Your fora depend on advertising just as much as any newspaper's electronic forum does ... I'm merely saying, "Be careful!"
I suggest you look for more judicial cases for reference, and read copyright law and what fair use encompasses. The amount of material being used is only one of several factors that are considered for fair use. You still have not been able to produce anything from the legislation to show how we are not complying with copyright law in this discussion forum.

Quite pathetic how people like you want to argue in the legal world but cannot even produce a minute piece of legislation or its relevant clauses for analysis. The concept of copyright is not meant to close off all means of use for other people's work.

Old January 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #76
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Now with the new touch card system it's even harder to find places to top up the credit, so many people including myself have no option but to fare evade.
Can't you top off at a ticket machine at any railway station? I admit I don't know the Melbourne system, but that's how its done here in Japan.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #77
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Can't you top off at a ticket machine at any railway station? I admit I don't know the Melbourne system, but that's how its done here in Japan.
For our Octopus cards in Hong Kong, we can also set up an instruction to reload cards automatically once they hit negative value, chargeable to a credit card.

Old January 16th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #78
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Octopus cards in Hong KongMontreal
Too queer ...

Société de transport de Montréal's rationale:
OPUS, a latin word meaning « work ».
OPUS means «what is necessary, what is needed».
In concert music, an OPUS has a number, like the smart card.
OPUS, an easy word to say, in any language.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #79
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Do they allow auto reloading? Plenty of cities have smart cards these days.

Last edited by hkskyline; January 17th, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #80
micro

Likes (Received): 106

I wonder they didn't throw in a far-fetched acronym, something like "Omnipresent Payment Utiliy System".
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote