SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Berlin impressions (79 photos)

66K views 95 replies 62 participants last post by  Dimkaber75 
#1 ·

Just got back from Berlin yesterday, and it was my first ever visit. I spend 6 days there, and the weather was quite bad the first 3. The summer really came the last days though, so there's a little of everything here. I've mixed the photos, just like Berlin is a huge mix of old and new. I wont comment too many of them, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. :)

Let's get going:

1: Reichstag Building, which is the home of the German Bundestag. The big dome is by Sir Norman Foster:

2:

3:

4:

5: Frank O. Gehry's first work in Berlin. Wonderful facade if you ask me:

6:

7: I really like the way old buildings are used in new ones, as the next two show:

8:

9:

10:

11:

12:

13: I really like this residential building:

14:

15:

16:

17: The Nordic Embassies. Inside this green shell there are 5 different sections/buildings, made by architects from the different countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Finland):

18:

19:

20:

21:

22:

23:

24: The new Hauptbahnhof:

25:

26:

27:

28:

29:

30:

31:

32:

33:

34: The Berlin Hi-Flyer. Quite nice view from up there (150 m):

35:

36:

37: And a little panorama from the baloon. Click for a larger version:

38:

39:

40: Potsdammer Platz density:

41:

42:

43: The amazing Sony Center by Helmuth Jahn:

44:

45:

46:

47:

48:

49:

50:

51:

52:

53: Berliner Fernsehturm, which is 368,03 m tall. It was qiute bad weather when I was up there:

54: Berliner Dom:

55:

56:

57: A small section of the Berlin Wall still stands:

58:

59:

60: The Olympic Stadium, which recently underwent a major renovation:

61:

62:

63:

64:

65:

66: Inside Daniel Libeskind's Jewish Museum;

67:

68:

69: WOW, Die süßete Eisbear der Welt - Gotta go find him...

70: And on I go...

71: Hmmm, doesn't look like him...

72: No...

73: No...

74: No...

75: No...

76: Still no...

77: Is this him? No too big and lazy...

78: KNUUUUUUUUUT!

79: I think this was one of the very last days the zookeepers (?) were playing with Knut. Apparently they have stopped now, since he's become too big and dangerous.

That's it for now. I might add some more later... :cheers:

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm officially even more tempted to go there... and jealous of your visit, as well as your brilliant photography! Great job... I love seeing Berlin. :)

#11 ·
Germany

Berlin,is an Amazing city!! i wish one day i could visit.

Im not shure why but theres something familiar in some of those pictures,heres what comes to my mind wen i see those pics.

Mexico City.

Shot at 2007-07-17

Shot at 2007-07-17

Berlin.

Shot with Canon EOS 5D at 2007-07-17

Mexico City.

Shot with Canon EOS 10D at 2007-07-17

Berlin.

Mexico City.

Shot at 2007-07-17

Berlin.

#12 ·
Amazing photos. I never knew Berlin was so beautiful and it seems to be laid out perfectly. I'm also surprised at how the city has integrated the new with the old with regards to the architecture.

Thank you for opening my eyes with regards to Berlin thanks to your wonderful photos. I'll be sure to visit on my next cross Europe adventure.

#19 ·
Thank you for the comments. :)

I have a few leftovers, let's go:

80:

81:

82:

83:

84:

85:

86:

87:

88:

89:

90:

91:

92:

93:

94:

95:

96:

97:

98:

99:

100:

101:

102:

103:

104:

105: A few more Olympic Stadium photos:

106:

107:

108: Back to the zoo:

109:

110:

111:

112:

That's it for now. :cheers:

#20 ·
wonderful shots.
and a great, if somewhat misleading, selection. i mean people expecting to find most of berlin to look like that will be terribly disappointed once they go there. you know, there's grit and decay virtually everywhere. a lot of it, even areas with a lot of new construction or renovated buildings are in poor shape. sidewalks in particular are so badly maintained, they're basically without peer in the western world. even new ones. because berliners love them some green. any kind of green. the pavement's full of weed and they love it. they love them some weed, too, i guess. :drool: i hate that -- the ugly sidewalks, you know.

but i'm rambling. this is supposed to be about your pics and they're great. :)

#21 · (Edited)
@ Nikos,

You might call it misleading, in some way, although I don't think it's as "bad" as you make it sound. I actually expected a lot more commie'ish buildings, and run down places than I saw, specially in the old east. Compared to other German cities I've visited, I don't think Berlin was worse on this front. But of course I haven't seen all of Berlin in just 6 days, and I'm sure that there are areas in the outer Berlin area, specially residential, that are not very nice.
That being said, the main reason I went to Berlin, was to see lots of new great architecture, and that's what I saw and shot mostly. :)

#25 ·
Very nice pics, i was recently in Berlin too (probably around the same time as you as my first few days weather were terrible, but the last day i was there was gorgeous).

It was my first visit too and i thought it was an amazing city, deffinatly nowhere near as 'bad' as Niko seems to be making out. I will certainly be visiting it again in the future, i just got a small taste of this incredible city.

Anyway, fantastic pics again (i have some to post too....but think i'll hold back for a while because they are mere snapshots compared to these :eek:kay: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.