daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Saudi Arabia > Saudi Arabia forums > General Construction | مشاريع وإنشاءات > Jeddah

Old July 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #1
Rody69

Likes (Received): 1251

Kingdom Tower l U/C l 167F l 1KM+

Exploring urban issues facing 21st century, The Mile High Tower offers a fresh perspective on an idea that has been debated by architects for a century"1 mile =1600 M . Exploding land values, growing populations and expanding economies are placing extraordinary burdens on many culturally rich, but land deprived Asian regions. In response to these pressures we have proposed a vertical city. In conceiving the tower as a vertical city, the design team has integrated technological, architectural and urban planning strategies into a single structure that breathes with urban complexity. The scale of the building and the scope of the program force the reevaluation of current skyscraper precedents for form, purpose, infrastructure, transportation, structure, and sustainability.

Architecture and engineering have traditionally treated structure as static—the building frame was constructed to be strong and heavy enough to resist all anticipated loads. The Mile High Tower proposes a lighter, dynamic structural system that actively responds to forces placed upon it. Controlled by wind detecting sensors, stabilizing aileron-like fins run the length of the tower frame and modulate their position to control resonant motion and building drift.

The separation of the structural frame and the building envelope enhances the quality of the interior space by providing an abundance of natural light and ventilation. Equipped with wind generators, photovoltaic panels, a heliostat, and sewage treatment facilities, the tower attains a high degree of sustainability with minimal environmental impact.

Approaching the tower as a theoretical project has proven liberating, freeing the design team to seek new solutions to technical problems, to find creative approaches outside the present financial climate, and to implement environmentally sustainable strategies that will enhance the next generation of ultra-high rise buildings. Our paradigm is the human body. This near-future tower incorporates structural and climatic systems that, like the human body, respond dynamically and efficiently to forces placed upon them.

Pickard Chilton company have done the skyscraper design, plus other specialized engineering firms for structural, infrastructure and traffic design, cost and time planning!!

I think my first thread is the best one for this month
just joking....

Last edited by Rody69; July 18th, 2007 at 07:05 AM.
Rody69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 18th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Rody69

sorry guys that what I got tell now,but hopefully I'm gonna got more images soon from inside the "company" and I'll post it straight away>>
BTW the 3rd image it's comparing between the mile tower and the twin tower in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia ,because the design has done by the same company "Pickard Chilton"
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Riyadhi

Likes (Received): 3

1600 m!!

Are you sure this is the skyscraper proposed by Kingdom Holding? Isn't 1600m just waaaay to high? Is it even possible!!!!

btw, you might want to post this at the supertalls forum,
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=902
I'm sure many people will be intersted in this monster.
Riyadhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #4
gohorns

Likes (Received): 2

I'm sure it's possible but i wonder if its feasible. With the current available building materials....something that tall would require very thick support structures that would take up a lot of the actual space...

but..obviously there are strong materials available for more money...so i guess that's a way to go....

in any case...this would be a miracle if it went through...very very interesting stuff
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #5
qatari 4 ever
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

NO WAY
qatari 4 ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #6
ZK
I Support Pakistan Army

Likes (Received): 30

Thread posted in Supertalls. Continue your discussion there.

Cheers

LAND OF PAKISTAN

FREE PALESTINE
ZK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Saudi Dunes

Likes (Received): 1

If you look at Kingdom Holdings website, they do mention that Pickard Chilton has been contracted to design the tower. We've also been hearing a lot of chatter about a possible "world's tallest building" comming up in Jeddah, and we know that Al-Waleed is planning on investing close to $13.3 billion in a Jeddah development. In addition, the project client is "secret", classical Saudi style!

I personnaly am rooting for this one! I really hope this goes through. Plus, we all know that Prince Al-Waleed is not going to settle for anything less than Kingdom Centre, and this one will sure out do Mamlaka
Saudi Dunes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Saudi guy

Likes (Received): 536

just wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow,BTW other thread in ''world Development News Forums'' was closed!!!
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #9
gohorns

Likes (Received): 2

i'm not surprised. a lot of people wouldn't want this project to become reality....they don't want saudi arabia to get so much attention, interest, and praise..

even more reason to push this project through..
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Rody69

I have some points to clear out:
*)this "monster" is not standing alone, there is two other towers connected to it at the hight of 170 M by two bridges. ( these two towers will give this huge tower some kind of stability. "you can check that in the 3rd image"
*)Kingdom holding group retained HOK to do the master plan for the project and the soil test in the location,and they approved a super tall in the project.
*)estimates that the total investment potential that will be generated by this project will be in excess of SR 55 billion:
-around 15 % from that number for the super tall land mark ,around SR 8 billion= $ 2 billion.
-SR 400 million for the water canal(5 Km) around the project land "from the red sea on the west to the Abhur creek on the south of the project location"and the result for that is a new island on the north of abhur creek well change the map of Jeddah,and it will help the natural life in abhur creek.
*)SR 42 billion "$ 11 billion" several commercial towers, residential units, retail space, office space, a beach resort, hotels and an education campus.
I hope this informations well clear some of your inquiries

Last edited by Rody69; July 18th, 2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #11
Riyadhi

how did you get all this information? -if you dont mind me asking-
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #12
ZK
I Support Pakistan Army

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns View Post
i'm not surprised. a lot of people wouldn't want this project to become reality....they don't want saudi arabia to get so much attention, interest, and praise..

even more reason to push this project through..
Yup. I was also also shocked to see that the thread was locked.

LAND OF PAKISTAN

FREE PALESTINE
ZK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #13
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 78

The thread was locked because at the moment a mile high tower seems a lot like a vision and for a thread to exist there it must be a serious proposal with substantial evidence showing it is. The fact that it's in Saudi Arabia has nothing to do with it whatsoever. Send wjfox a PM showing it's a real project and not just some vision and he'll accept.

I myself would not be in favour with such a project. The reason is a mile high tower would cost several billion to build and that money could be much better used elsewhere.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #14
Rody69

guys......leave them talk.....just wait tell 15/9/2007 and everyone gonna see the full master plan plus the monster "I like this word",basically the full render
BTW, the work gonna start at first days of 2008.and they allready bought peace of land oh the red sea (on the west of the project location) and another one on Abhur creek (the south of the project location) and they gonna connect them throw the project site (the canal) in addition to the project site (the 5,5 m2) which is the land on the south western corner of north Abhur.
just wait guys...and like what they says "alsabor moftah alfaraj" LooooooooL
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #15
Saudi Dunes

Likes (Received): 1

Additional Information concerning some of the companies that may be involved with this.

Thornton Tomasetti, which is claimed to be the "Structural Design Firm", is behind such other prestigious projects such as:

The Bloomberg Tower, New York
Federation Tower, Moscow
The New York Time Building, New York
Soldier Field, Chicago
Taipei 101, Taipai

The MEP (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing) Engineering Firm, Flack & Kurtz has been involved in other projects such as:

The World Financial Center, New York
Canary Warf, London
The Hearst Tower, New York

Last edited by Saudi Dunes; July 19th, 2007 at 06:47 AM.
Saudi Dunes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #16
Riyadhi

wow this sounds to be serious.... I still cant belive that!!
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #17
Saudi guy

iam sure it's somewhere here
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #18
Rody69

sorry Saudi guy but the (KHC) gonna be here:

http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif

and the canal will start from the top right with a pretty shape ,into the Abhur ceek (the middle part of the creek in this photo)
the project location is the unplanned area in this photo
I'll put the full render as soon i got it from my resource
btw, there is a huge project in that area "in saudi guy photo" between durrat al aruss and Salman bay and they gonna announce it in winter 2007.

Last edited by Rody69; July 20th, 2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #19
wooops

Likes (Received): 0

wow, im asking what is going to be next dubai 800m kuwait 1000m and sudia1600m, mmmm the next 5 years will be crazy.
wooops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #20
Saudi guy

in that case it will be in deep the land (far from beach ~1km) anyway i will upload another map,and yah i forgot it your link dosnt work.

you said there project between durrat al aruss and Salman bay,in fact many resort will be under constriction not just one.