daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #161
Rebasepoiss
Registered User
 
Rebasepoiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 5,819
Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Thank's Verso! All foreigner city names on signs are written in latvian. So yeah, it says Tallina.
And we write "Riia" for "Riga"
Rebasepoiss no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #162
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

And "Helsingi" for Helsinki.
Verso no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #163
Timon91
Error
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: just outside Germany
Posts: 5,783
Likes (Received): 46

Said Verso from Laibach
If a country displays all foreign cities in it's own language, it's fine, as long as they do it the same throughout the whole country. Germany seems to have some problems with this (Arnheim/Arnhem, Lüttich/Ličge)
__________________
My Flickr account.
Some of my photoseries: Northern Ireland, Prague, Boston, Alaska part 1, 2, 3, Smoggy Moscow, Warsaw, Wrocław, Kiev, Donetsk, Odessa and Chişinău.
Timon91 no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #164
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19408

Germany is replacing the German language Lüttich/Nimwegen/Arnheim signs with the real names (Ličge/Nijmegen/Arnhem)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #165
RipleyLV
Registered User
 
RipleyLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jelgava
Posts: 4,653
Likes (Received): 2287

Lithuania is the only country in the Baltics which uses both langauges on signs: Rīga/Ryga, Jelgava/Yelgava, Warszawa/Varšuva.
RipleyLV está en línea ahora  
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #166
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit
 
Triceratops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riga
Posts: 3,649
Likes (Received): 11

WOW! RipleyLV you are the man!! Thanks a lot for such beautiful and clear report!
__________________
There are no borders, there are only obstacles
Triceratops está en línea ahora  
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #167
PLH
Moderator
 
PLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Warszawa / Łódź
Posts: 11,841
Likes (Received): 2823

__________________
Respect .
PLH no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #168
RipleyLV
Registered User
 
RipleyLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Jelgava
Posts: 4,653
Likes (Received): 2287



Thanks Triceratops!
RipleyLV está en línea ahora  
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #169
Dan
Registered User
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scotland / Ireland
Posts: 1,244
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Lithuania is the only country in the Baltics which uses both langauges on signs: Rīga/Ryga, Jelgava/Yelgava, Warszawa/Varšuva.
Smartest thing to do I think, especially near borders. I wouldn't mind if signs were in three languages: the local for those who live in this country, the one of the other country for those from there, and English for tourists and all others.

A lot of times it's easy to figure out, but sometimes they're all really different.
Dan no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #170
Timon91
Error
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: just outside Germany
Posts: 5,783
Likes (Received): 46

Such a situation would give really messy signs.
__________________
My Flickr account.
Some of my photoseries: Northern Ireland, Prague, Boston, Alaska part 1, 2, 3, Smoggy Moscow, Warsaw, Wrocław, Kiev, Donetsk, Odessa and Chişinău.
Timon91 no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #171
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19408

I'm, as probably known, not in favor of multilingual signage. I think the destinations should only be signed in their common locally name. So Villach, Warszawa, Berlin, Ličge and Milano. The problem would be multilingual cities, but there aren't many cities where the language distribution is evenly divided. Most cities are bilingual to please a small minority, but are not thát bilingual in everyday's use. (like French is by far the most spoken language in Bruxelles, but they use Dutch as a minority language too in Brussel.) Language politics should NEVER be visible on the signage.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #172
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,471
Likes (Received): 3444

really nice to see photos from Latvian roads! pitty the weather was screwed, but anyway, nice report and nice bridge there
__________________
Svaki dan sanjam autobahn...
x-type no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #173
Dan
Registered User
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scotland / Ireland
Posts: 1,244
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm, as probably known, not in favor of multilingual signage. I think the destinations should only be signed in their common locally name. So Villach, Warszawa, Berlin, Ličge and Milano. The problem would be multilingual cities, but there aren't many cities where the language distribution is evenly divided. Most cities are bilingual to please a small minority, but are not thát bilingual in everyday's use. (like French is by far the most spoken language in Bruxelles, but they use Dutch as a minority language too in Brussel.) Language politics should NEVER be visible on the signage.
I don't think it's about language politics...it's just about doing what signs are there for, to help guide people!

Milano is one thing but just think of Lille/Rijsel.
Dan no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #174
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Said Verso from Laibach
Dance with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
Smartest thing to do I think, especially near borders. I wouldn't mind if signs were in three languages
Then I suppose you like the left sign.
Verso no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #175
chumpon
Member Legend
 
chumpon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 365
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Japanese expressways have bus stops too.
Also in Malaysia have bus stop at expressway..
__________________
Malaysia truly asia...
chumpon no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #176
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit
 
Triceratops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riga
Posts: 3,649
Likes (Received): 11

I agree with guys who think that names of cities/towns should be written in both languages. Though, I can't imagine how f.e. in Latvia there will be written names of Russian cities/towns because our government wouldn't simply permit that. In Latvian language the names really differ from the Russian ones and those Russians or even other tourists who know latinic writing of the place they are going to through Latvia can't understand many signs.. (f.e in English or Russian the name of the city is "Pskov" - in Latvian it's "Pleskava")
__________________
There are no borders, there are only obstacles
Triceratops está en línea ahora  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM   #177
RS.ban
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
I agree with guys who think that names of cities/towns should be written in both languages. Though, I can't imagine how f.e. in Latvia there will be written names of Russian cities/towns because our government wouldn't simply permit that. In Latvian language the names really differ from the Russian ones and those Russians or even other tourists who know latinic writing of the place they are going to through Latvia can't understand many signs.. (f.e in English or Russian the name of the city is "Pskov" - in Latvian it's "Pleskava")
Yes f.ck the minority rights! Long live the EU and new democratic members
RS.ban no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM   #178
Rebasepoiss
Registered User
 
Rebasepoiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 5,819
Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS.ban View Post
Yes f.ck the minority rights! Long live the EU and new democratic members
Yes, we should write signs in all the 6000 languages in the world.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM   #179
RS.ban
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 889
Likes (Received): 0

As he said goverment wouldn´t allow Russian not other languages and we know how many Russians live in Baltics.
RS.ban no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM   #180
Rebasepoiss
Registered User
 
Rebasepoiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tallinn
Posts: 5,819
Likes (Received): 1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS.ban View Post
As he said goverment wouldn´t allow Russian not other languages and we know how many Russians live in Baltics.
Allowing Cyrillics on signs would just make things more messy so IMO it's understandable that signs are only in Latvian
Rebasepoiss no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
baltic states

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium