daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #1
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

Top tourist destinations in your country?

Hi, I'd like to know which are the top tourist destinations in your country (by overnight stays). I'm looking for numbers here, so please don't spam this thread with photos (some people use every possible thread as a touristic pamflet for their city).

The top 3 cities in Belgium in 2006:

1.Brussels: 4.836.476
2.Antwerp: 1.419.485
3.Bruges: 1.374.800

The most popular tourist region is the coast, which gets about 12 million people staying there every year (quite a lot for only 40 km of coastline).

Last edited by taboe; July 19th, 2007 at 02:27 PM.
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #2
CORLEONE

Likes (Received): 71

I love Belgium, My girlfriend is from Brugge but, it is not a holidays country. Anyway that numbers are fantastic! ;-)
CORLEONE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #3
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Hong Kong reportedly has over 25 million viistors a year.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
taboe
taboe

that seems a bit exaggerated... Visitors or Overnight stays? In 2004 about 9 million people spent one or more nights in Hong Kong.
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17783

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboe View Post
that seems a bit exaggerated... Visitors or Overnight stays? In 2004 about 9 million people spent one or more nights in Hong Kong.

The tourism industry made another new record in 2006 with over 25 million visitor arrivals, up 8.1% year-on-year. Most of the long haul and short haul markets such as the Americas, Europe, Australasia, Southeast Asian markets have recorded steady growth. Mainland was still the largest source market with arrivals increasing by 8.4% to more than 13.6 million.

http://www.tourism.gov.hk/english/st...s_perform.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #6
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

New York City set a record in 2005 with 43.3 million and broke it in 2006 with 44 million.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #7
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

Is there a website with that info I would like to know some other cities info on the number of tourists
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #8
taboe
taboe

that's what I was hoping to get... It's not that hard to get general info, like the top ten destinations in Europe (see http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cac...-07-001-EN.PDF), but it's a lot harder and more work to find out what the top3 in every country is. For example the UK: London is obviously no1, but which city is second? Edinburgh?

Furthermore, it's not always clear which data is reliable or how it is calculated. The numbers hkskyline presents, for instance, are they arrivals, overnight stays per person(count every tourist just once) or overnight stays per night(count evry night any tourist spends)? The data I presented are overnight stays per person. In Belgium, the average person stays about 2 nights, so some calculations would present double of what i got... I'd prefer nights spent per person...
Anyway, hoping for some more numbers
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #9
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Furthermore, it's not always clear which data is reliable or how it is calculated. The numbers hkskyline presents, for instance, are they arrivals, overnight stays per person(count every tourist just once) or overnight stays per night(count evry night any tourist spends)? The data I presented are overnight stays per person. In Belgium, the average person stays about 2 nights, so some calculations would present double of what i got... I'd prefer nights spent per person...
They're over night stays per person I believe.

Visitor arrivals would be what the Airport authority reports, which is closer to 50 million.

I think?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #10
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17783

Quote:
that's what I was hoping to get... It's not that hard to get general info, like the top ten destinations in Europe (see http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cac...-07-001-EN.PDF), but it's a lot harder and more work to find out what the top3 in every country is. For example the UK: London is obviously no1, but which city is second? Edinburgh?

http://partnernet.hktb.com/pnweb/jsp...p?doc_id=97018

Hong Kong welcomed 25,251,124 visitors in 2006 ... of these, more than 15.82 million (62.7%) stayed overnight, with the remaining 9.42 million leaving on the same day they arrived.

Mainland China continued as the leading source of visitors to Hong Kong in 2006, with arrivals reaching 13,591,342, 8.4% more than in 2005.

During 2006, 62.7% of all visitors stayed one night or longer ... most long-haul visitors stayed one night or more ... the 62.1% of visitors from the Mainland who stayed at least one night in Hong Kong represent a 1.9% fall compared with 2005.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Aslantepe
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Istanbul and Antalya are top tourist destinations of Turkey

Here a quote about Istanbul.

Quote:
Istanbul's strategy to rank among Europe's top destinatiions for mass tourism and cenventions and conferences

Most visitors rank it amongst the most exciting and vibrant cities in the world. While not matching the tourist inflows of Europe's top destinations, Istanbul is looking to make up ground on rival cities. That is through a combination of conventional tourism - dependent on the city's historical, cultural sites and shopping - in addition to the business segment, with foreign businessmen attending conventions and conferences.

According to Oxford Business Group Latest Briefings:

"Like the rest of Turkey's tourism industry, Istanbul has set its sights on some ambitious targets. The city attracted an estimated 5.5 million tourists in 2006. According to Ergun Gungor, the Deputy Governor of Istanbul, the number of tourists entering Istanbul increased by 28.5% during the first three months of 2007, compared to the same period the year before. Gungor also pointed out that a 25% increase in tourist flows for 2007 would translate into close to 7 million visitors by the year-end. A consistent 15% increase in tourist numbers for the next 4 years would see numbers hit 10million by 2010. Istanbul is clearly looking to close the gap on Europe's urban hotspots, including London with its 15.2million foreign tourists in 2006, while inner Paris recorded an estimated 27million foreign visitors the same year.

To meet its target, the governor's office has engaged in a campaign to increase the inflow of foreign tourists. The 3rd Istanbul Tourism Festival, held in April 2007 - gathering representatives of the industry and public - was notable in this regard. Meanwhile, the Touristic Hotels & Investors Association (TUROB) continues to push ahead with various initiatives, including the Istanbul Destination Project and Istanbul Shopping Festival, to promote the city and develop its pulling power. More importantly, the EU named Istanbul the European Cultural Centre for year 2010.

Back in December 2006, Guven Tasbasi, the former deputy governor of Istanbul predicted that Istanbul would not only pull in 10m tourists by 2010 but also earn 500m euros in income from the industry.

Promoters have had little trouble selling Istanbul as a convention and conference centre, given its proximity to Europe, the Middle East and Former Soviet Union (FSU) along with its rich history and range of entertainment options. Hosting the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation Summit, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Conference for Ministers Responsible for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises, the World Newspaper Congress and Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in 2004 drew the international spotlight onto the city. In 2007, Istanbul hosted such events as the Eastern Mediterranean International Tourism & Travel Fair (EMITT) with 2000 attendees, along with the 4th World Mayors' Summit, hosting 196 mayors and 24 international organisations. The facilities offered by the likes of the Istanbul Lutfi Kirdar Convention and Exhibition Centre, the World Trade Centre Istanbul (WTCI) and TURYAP Exhibition Halls have clearly tempted event organisers.

Convention and conference facilities have not been the only sources of attraction. The Champions League football final in May 2005 along with the opening of the F1 Grand Prix circuit in August that year played their part. With an attendance of 110,000 spectators, out of which 50,000 were non-Turks, Istanbul's first ever F1 race not only brought in a swell of tourism revenue but also a concomitant amount of publicity."
Aslantepe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM   #12
Aquarius
Nooo, ya no

Likes (Received): 44

Spain 2006 Overnights in hotels

Total spain: 266.588.182
Spaniards: 114.825.475
Foreign: 151.762.707

Touristic points:

Code:
Madrid         13.238.565
Barcelona      11.274.831
Benidorm       10.924.164
San Bartolomé   9.421.991
Adeje           9.073.216
Calvia          8.625.722
Palma           8.429.660
Lloret de mar   5.916.081
Torremolinos    5.089.003
Arona           5.011.147
Touristic zones

Code:
Mallorca island     40.842.713
Tenerife island     20.991.992
Palma-Calvia        17.716.116
Costa del sol       15.790.497
Tenerife-south      15.638.609
costa Blanca        15.164.786
Gran Canaria island 13.758.117
Gran Canaria south  12.296.978
Barcelona coast     11.371.133
Costa Brava         10.750.948

Rooms

Code:
hotel establishments  1.260.462
tourist apartments      448.196
campings                479.998
rural tourism            95.855

Last edited by Aquarius; July 21st, 2007 at 10:06 PM.
Aquarius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:01 AM   #13
mdiederi
Artist

Likes (Received): 162

Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Total hotel room nights occupied in 2006 = 43,496,236

Source: http://www.lvcva.com/press/statistic...itor-stats.jsp

Shouldn't this thread be in the "City Talk / Urban Issues" forum?
mdiederi no está en línea   Reply With Quote