daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #241
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Not at all. I'll second that.

When we had the earthquakes a couple of weeks ago, I hoped the Villagio would fall down.
That's horrible, and would've hurt a lot of people. Villagio isn't that horrible and I don't know why everyone thinks so. Even though it disrespects the southeast side, it is a lot better than the run-down homes that were there before, plus it adds height in an area that wouldn't have had height otherwise. Maybe it will spark more development in that area in the near future.
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #242
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
That's horrible, and would've hurt a lot of people. Villagio isn't that horrible and I don't know why everyone thinks so. Even though it disrespects the southeast side, it is a lot better than the run-down homes that were there before, plus it adds height in an area that wouldn't have had height otherwise. Maybe it will spark more development in that area in the near future.
Believe it or not, I am sure that he was not referring to people getting hurt. I am sure he was being sarcastic, because the non likes of the building. The building has alot of cheap measures about it. They took a good concept and took the easy road on it. I am also sure that if we took just about every post on here, we could find something to slam someone about. Why This and that, Why would you talk about that building or the canal, or that area that way???
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #243
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Dude, I was kidding. (or was I?)

And I happen to live in one of those "run-down homes" ...so watch your mouth!

The Cultural Trail will spark new development in that area. The Villagio, aka The Fellatio, because it sucks so bad, will always be a dent in Fountain Square's future crown.

The Villagio sucks for so many reasons. It's fun to list new ones!

1. It's a square peg in a triangular hole
2. Completely one-sided, one-direction design
3. The parking garage is about as tacked-on and incongruous as it gets
4. They went to the trouble of building a parking garage, but still felt the need to put a strip-mall style parking lot in front of the building (see reason no.1)
5. Complete disregard for the mixed-use potential/history along Virginia Avenue.
6. The south facade is the worst looking facade I have ever seen in my life, no exaggeration. It's a big beige square with 16 or so itty-bitty little windows in the middle. I have to look at it every day. It sucks. Trust me.
7. Brick that got tired half-way up and called his little brother Beige Drivet to finish the job.
8. No setbacks, no consideration for the buildings behind The Villagio, just a big beige box with balconies on the front
9. It's constructed out of the most generic, cheap-looking Home Depot sale materials ever. Look at it up close, you've seen those railings before. Davis Homes used to order it by the ton for their subdivisions. I'm not even going to start on the big black metal tubes that hold all the balconies up.
10. Did I mention the parking garage? It's FUGLY! Planting a couple of trees in front of a big concrete box isn't fooling anyone!

Anyone care to add to the list? I gotta go.
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #244
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 187

The villagio looks like beach condos out of Florida. That's where Page builds most of their projects anyway. I'll take the Villagio over Barton Apts. The Riley towers are kind of gross too, and looking west from 65 downtown, there is an ugly ass building with huge lime green panels. I think its a part of the VA government building. We have a lot more pukeworthy architecture in Indy and everyone picks on this particular project. It fits in well with Lilly's crappy campus, but I guess I'm seeing the glass half full.
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #245
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
The villagio looks like beach condos out of Florida. That's where Page builds most of their projects anyway. I'll take the Villagio over Barton Apts. The Riley towers are kind of gross too, and looking west from 65 downtown, there is an ugly ass building with huge lime green panels. I think its a part of the VA government building. We have a lot more pukeworthy architecture in Indy and everyone picks on this particular project. It fits in well with Lilly's crappy campus, but I guess I'm seeing the glass half full.
Half full of your own puke!
cjfjapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #246
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
Half full of your own puke!
LOL!
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM   #247
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

The Villagio may be one of the absolute WORST proejcts to hit this City since the Anthem Campus development...fitting that they are opposite each other.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #248
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The Villagio may be one of the absolute WORST proejcts to hit this City since the Anthem Campus development...fitting that they are opposite each other.
Word.

Don't forget about the other crap-tastic developments nearby, The Waverly, and the other company's headquarters whose name escapes me at the moment (the one with the two-level parking deck off of College Ave.)
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #249
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Word.

Don't forget about the other crap-tastic developments nearby, The Waverly, and the other company's headquarters whose name escapes me at the moment (the one with the two-level parking deck off of College Ave.)
The building you are talking about is the State Farm building on East St.

In other news, they are installing more of the new glass curtain wall. Strike over.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #250
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

Just as information for those who might not know, there are a few positive things to pass on regarding the State Farm Building and the Anthem/Wellpoint buildings down in the SE quadrant of downtown. The State Farm building was constructed by recycling an old, abandoned, four story tire factory into its headquarters building. The tire factory was set back from the street there, so that is why Farm Bureau sits back from East Street so far. Also - the area across the street from State Farm - currently a green, grassy, landscaped area, along with part of the area where the Wellpoint offices now sit, used to be a junk yard / steel recycling yard. I used to see it all the time when I lived in that area back in the mid 80's.

Although there may be some people who are less than thrilled with how some of those buildings look today - to compare them to what used to be there provides an amazing difference. I don't mind the look of the Wellpoint offices. Yes they are a little suburban looking, but - pretty much the buildings go up to the streets and the parking is behind. The worst thing about that area in my opinion is the huge amount of surface parking to the West. Hopefully one of these years, some new buildings will be built near there on the parking lots and the parking for all will be consolidated into some type of large, hidden-in-the-interior-of-the-block, parking structures. With the huge amount of surface parking for Lilly - located to the north of its campus - along with this parking area west of Wellpoint, you could add about seven blocks of development to downtown!

If anyone knows how to find aerial photos of that area from the early eighties or before, it might help show the improvement. (Oh yeah, there used to be a white castle right there along East Street too - right between the tire factory and the junk yard - I almost forgot.)

I do hope they build the commercial building up near the street in front of the Waverly apartments. That was the plan, as I understood it. A good three story brick building fronting the street would help that project be a more pedestrian friendly, mixed use development. With all of those people working nearby, you would think a restaurant and a few other office worker-friendly businesses would do ok. More mixed use would be great in that area. Build some more residential with street front commercial and some office buildings mixed in. That's what that area needs in my opinion.

(While I'm writing about the not-so-distant history of that area, one other bit of information to share is that the SW corner of East and South Streets used to be where there was a large, full time farmers market. The Lilly day care center sits on that site today. It was a good place to get cheap fruits and vegetables. I hated to see that go.)
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #251
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Just as information for those who might not know, there are a few positive things to pass on regarding the State Farm Building and the Anthem/Wellpoint buildings down in the SE quadrant of downtown. The State Farm building was constructed by recycling an old, abandoned, four story tire factory into its headquarters building. The tire factory was set back from the street there, so that is why Farm Bureau sits back from East Street so far. Also - the area across the street from State Farm - currently a green, grassy, landscaped area, along with part of the area where the Wellpoint offices now sit, used to be a junk yard / steel recycling yard. I used to see it all the time when I lived in that area back in the mid 80's.

Although there may be some people who are less than thrilled with how some of those buildings look today - to compare them to what used to be there provides an amazing difference. I don't mind the look of the Wellpoint offices. Yes they are a little suburban looking, but - pretty much the buildings go up to the streets and the parking is behind. The worst thing about that area in my opinion is the huge amount of surface parking to the West. Hopefully one of these years, some new buildings will be built near there on the parking lots and the parking for all will be consolidated into some type of large, hidden-in-the-interior-of-the-block, parking structures. With the huge amount of surface parking for Lilly - located to the north of its campus - along with this parking area west of Wellpoint, you could add about seven blocks of development to downtown!

If anyone knows how to find aerial photos of that area from the early eighties or before, it might help show the improvement. (Oh yeah, there used to be a white castle right there along East Street too - right between the tire factory and the junk yard - I almost forgot.)

I do hope they build the commercial building up near the street in front of the Waverly apartments. That was the plan, as I understood it. A good three story brick building fronting the street would help that project be a more pedestrian friendly, mixed use development. With all of those people working nearby, you would think a restaurant and a few other office worker-friendly businesses would do ok. More mixed use would be great in that area. Build some more residential with street front commercial and some office buildings mixed in. That's what that area needs in my opinion.

(While I'm writing about the not-so-distant history of that area, one other bit of information to share is that the SW corner of East and South Streets used to be where there was a large, full time farmers market. The Lilly day care center sits on that site today. It was a good place to get cheap fruits and vegetables. I hated to see that go.)
Good post. There are aerials of the site in one of the Italian restaurants over there. My Pop was explaining the same thing to me when we ate there a few months ago. It is an improvement of sorts, I guess ugly and clean is better than dirty and industrial.

I'm concerned about the Waverly's commercial building. A sign out front says something to the effect of "retail space for lease, includes drive-through." I'm not expecting much. It's too bad really, they could've taken a cue from the small brick building with the condos next to the heliport and tracks.

Some of these developers just don't get it. (Or, let me rephrase that, they just want to get money.) People moving to the city don't just want to live downtown, they want to live in urban developments. Just throwing up an apartment complex near downtown isn't going to cut it.
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #252
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 37

I thought I remembered hearing that there was going to be a Starbucks put into the retail space along East St. in front of the Waverly.

There is some good Italian food over in that area with both Iaria's and the Milano Inn right down the street from each other.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #253
Babbage08

I will be very angry if they put a parking lot in front of starbucks in the Waverly development. Though the lot isn't the greatest site anyway (next to railroad and helipad anyone?), it would be rediculous to see a clone of some development up in Fishers.
Babbage08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #254
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Done

I am done as far as I can tell you what's going on with this project. After 13 years Regions Bank let me go today. 32 employees across the midwest were let go. The banks are hurting and Regions is no exception. Hell they even took the plants out of all the branches to save money.
mobyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #255
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

moby, very sorry to hear that. Best of luck in finding something new soon.
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:31 AM   #256
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Damn. Hope you land on your feet, mobyhead.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:16 AM   #257
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Thanks guys. At work you spend an enormous amount of time with people other than your loved ones. I have dedicated so much to that place/building. I am really really surprised they are sponsoring the fireworks this year off the roof. My God, they take away the live plants from the branches then eliminate the bottleled water service. Cutting costs??? Something is going on. We may soon call the Regions Bank Tower the Harris Bank Tower. :-)
Old July 1st, 2008, 06:30 AM   #258
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I am done as far as I can tell you what's going on with this project. After 13 years Regions Bank let me go today. 32 employees across the midwest were let go. The banks are hurting and Regions is no exception. Hell they even took the plants out of all the branches to save money.
I feel your pain mobyhead. In this economy everyone that is not senior management is expendable.

I was supposed to start work at Ford Motor Company a couple of weeks ago but my start date was postponed until October at the earliest.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:44 AM   #259
IndyYeah

Moby, If if work gets real bad and you have to relocate up here, let me know, I can help.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:18 PM   #260
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Moby, If if work gets real bad and you have to relocate up here, let me know, I can help.
Doing what and where? Actually I may have a few prospects at Bose McKinney. My wife has a friend who works there. They are moving into the Chase Tower September 1st. I would be right across the street from Indiana Square.

Tags
indianapolis