daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM   #401
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by average joe View Post
I'm realizing more and more that re-skinning buildings isn't always a good idea. In the case of One Indiana Square, it was needed since the current facade isn't engineered properly to handle high winds. It's too bad too; the original Indiana National Bank facade (not the tacky facade that was added around 1994) was a great example of an international style skyscraper.
Welcome to the forum! Do you have any pictures of the original facade?
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #402
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak72 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Do you have any pictures of the original facade?
When he says new facade, he's actually just referring to the tacky jutting white "crown" and blue striping that used to be at the top until the current renovations started.

The black windows and white stripes that are currently being replaced with the new blue glass were part of the original design. Although they did replace the original marble white stripes at some point with another material because it was falling off of the higher levels, but that didn't change their look. I'm not sure if that happened when they added the crown in the 90s or not. It may have been much earlier.

Here's the original facade:

Here's the 90's update:
image hosted on flickr
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM   #403
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

When is this supposed to be finished up? I know I'm echoing the common complaint of "this is painfully slow" but I can't find a completion date anywhere in this thread or through the initial links. Sweet photos on page 18... those guys are nuts!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #404
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
When is this supposed to be finished up? I know I'm echoing the common complaint of "this is painfully slow" but I can't find a completion date anywhere in this thread or through the initial links. Sweet photos on page 18... those guys are nuts!
The lower part, maybe we can take a collection... Anything at the hardware store that will help the lower part?
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #405
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
I don't think anyone really knows!

I think we've stopped paying attention because the dates keep getting pushed back and switched around.

Hopefully before the upcoming Final Fours and the Super Bowl.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:39 AM   #406
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

I drove by there yesterday, and the west side was roughly 1/3-1/2 finished, I was rather impressed as I drove by. This tower is going to look very professional when finished.
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:44 AM   #407
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
I drove by there yesterday, and the west side was roughly 1/3-1/2 finished, I was rather impressed as I drove by. This tower is going to look very professional when finished.
Good I want professional, non boring buildings, and maybe they are getting this thing right in some ways... For 39 years or so, it has not been as professional and modern as some of us would like, but at least 32 or so floors will be quite nice.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #408
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

I work in this building as you know. I will try to pin-point a time frame of when were all done. Last I heard it will be June.
mobyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM   #409
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I work in this building as you know. I will try to pin-point a time frame of when were all done. Last I heard it will be June.
June ...of this year? HA!

Seriously, we should've started a betting pool on this a long time ago.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM   #410
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post

I say that and today they aren't working due to the high winds. It could happen. Looks like they are done mounting the support beams on the east and west sides. The glass goes up pretty fast after that.
mobyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #411
JohnM Indy

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:

This is an image that was posted on this thread in late March of last year. If I recall correctly, the south facade was pretty much on the same pace. While it doesn't seem like it when we all look at the tower on a daily basis, they have made steady progress over the last year, and given the speed with which the west side has shaped up in the last couple of weeks, a 2-3 month timeline for it to look substantially complete doesn't seem wacky.
JohnM Indy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #412
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Wish a couple more downtown buildings would get a new skin. The Old Blue Cross, and The Old Indiana Bell....
I can think of a multiple of structures downtown that need refaced before the Old Indiana Bell building.
The addition isn't that great but the original part of it is somewhat attractive.
It is made of stone and carries a sort of uniform with the courthouse.
Besides, how many downtown highrises are made of stone and not granite?
I like it the way it is.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:25 AM   #413
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by average joe View Post
I'm realizing more and more that re-skinning buildings isn't always a good idea. In the case of One Indiana Square, it was needed since the current facade isn't engineered properly to handle high winds. It's too bad too; the original Indiana National Bank facade (not the tacky facade that was added around 1994) was a great example of an international style skyscraper.
I disagree.
I think that Indy's skyline will improve greatly with a more reflective facade.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #414
SMSC1

Quote:

Can I enter your pool before I place my guess?
SMSC1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #415
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSC1 View Post
Can I enter your pool before I place my guess?
Personally, I think that this thing will be finished(the way they want it to be finished) by September 5th.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #416
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
I can think of a multiple of structures downtown that need refaced before the Old Indiana Bell building.
The addition isn't that great but the original part of it is somewhat attractive.
It is made of stone and carries a sort of uniform with the courthouse.
Besides, how many downtown highrises are made of stone and not granite?
I like it the way it is.
I don't care for the original. If it would have been like alot of 1920's-1930's buildings -yes. Those Empire State looking types. Even some 200 footers look taller with the needle type look. Ft. Wayne has one if I am not mistaken. I don't mind the granite addition because the time it was put in. Give some reflection and color to the street area.

Last edited by IndyYeah; April 11th, 2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Corrected type.
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #417
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

There is some amazing history to that building. An 8 story building on its site was moved around the corner in 1930 to make room for it. The telephone company was originally built as a seven story building, then seven more stories were added in the late 40's and then six or seven additional stories were added in the sixties. When you know more about the history of different buildings - it makes the building much more interesting. More details about the building and the history of that corner in Indpls are provided in the link below:

http://b-levi.com/research/arch/vonnegut/ind_bell.php
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #418
runNgunn

My mom worked in that building when I was a kid and her co-workers would always tell me how the building had been turned on giant blocks of ice at one time when I visited. I think I may have even remembered pictures of it somewhere. There is no mention of it on that page though...
runNgunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #419
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

From the way I ready the story in the link above, it wasn't the current limestone SBC (formerly Indiana Bell) building that was moved. It was the building that sat there before - which housed the Central Union Telephone Company. That 1907, eight story brick building was moved around the corner to make way for the Indiana Bell building. The limestone SBC building was then built on that site, (SW corner of New York and Meridian) beginning in 1930. (The old 1907 building that was moved is gone now and the 17 story Capital Centre North building now sits on that site.)
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #420
JohnM Indy

Likes (Received): 378

There seems to be quite a bit of urban mythology based on that building move. The way I had previously heard it was that the building was moved from facing New York Street to Meridian so that it could have the Meridian Street address. Most word-of-mouth stuff I have heard about seems to erroneously involve the current AT&T building being moved, not its predecessor on the site.

I think the building is fairly attractive from street level and as one of Indy's few large buildings of the era certainly merits preservation. The addition I don't like so much. Speaking of the addition, that particular look (a couple of "narrowed" floors topped by a flat roof the size of the lower floors), is reproduced in several other Indiana cities, including Muncie and South Bend. Is there a particular function to this look, or is it simply an old branding effort by Indiana Bell?
JohnM Indy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis