daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #481
aavmarine

Likes (Received): 0

Does it really matter? Unless a building downtown has lots of colors and lighting and stand out it won't matter. I'm a Indy person since last year. But now, since the lighting faults with the new stadium, and now with the new building. This make me think that the signing companies in Indy cant do their jobs!! Just my thoughts...

-Lt General Hal Moore
aavmarine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #482
SwimINindy
Drew

Likes (Received): 1

just a thought.

I am going out on a limb, and think this building might yet still have a surprise in store for us. If you think about it, all the buildings old black glass is still sitting on the other side of the new facade. I'd imagine once it's removed, the interior lighting at night will look much more blue, and aesthetically, will work in much better tandem with the lights up top.
SwimINindy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #483
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...ft+almost+done

A Downtown high-rise makeover is almost complete -- the exterior portion, at least.

Workers today are preparing to set the last panels on the exterior shell of One Indiana Square, on its northeast face. The 36-story building at 211 N. Penn. St. in downtown Indianapolis houses offices for various companies, including Regions Bank.
Advertisement

The makeover has been underway for two years. The building sustained damage from high winds in April 2006.

Interior remodeling continues.

Jessie McClelland, 33, of Indianapolis, said he liked the bluish reflective tint that mixes with darker panels on the edges.

"I think it looks great," he said today from a sidewalk at Delaware and New York street, pointing toward One Indiana.

"It's an attractive building, and it adds to the Downtown scene," added Paul Hambrick, 58, a federal worker who waiting at a bus stop, also in view of the high-rise. "It fits in better. "It's a pretty sharp look."

The building was constructed in 1970 as the Indiana National Bank Tower.

Designed by Thomas E. Stanley, it was Indiana's tallest building until 1982, when the OneAmerica Tower was completed. It received a new facade and exterior lighting scheme in the 1990s. The Chase Tower is now Indiana's tallest building.

mobyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #484
Indy Rock

I'm Back

http://photos.indystar.com/galleries...#id=7103&num=1

Last edited by Indy Rock; August 11th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Indy Rock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #485
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Rock View Post
Very cool slideshow. It's pretty neat to see it all together from the initial day of damage to the final glass panel put in place.
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #486
IndyTypeGuy

To be quite honest I think the reclad looks hideous. It looks unfinished. It looks like a cheap attempt to partially cover the exterior. Really a lame design. It would look good if they finished it off. But the design makes it look like they ran out of panels or money.
IndyTypeGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #487
Indy Rock

I Hate To Break It To You But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTypeGuy View Post
To be quite honest I think the reclad looks hideous. It looks unfinished. It looks like a cheap attempt to partially cover the exterior. Really a lame design. It would look good if they finished it off. But the design makes it look like they ran out of panels or money.
I think you're in the minority buddy.
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #488
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 36

I generally like the new facade. I do wish that the north and south sides looked more like the east and west sides. I like the black corners except for the really wide corners on the north and south sides. If they were more narrow, I think it would be a homerun, but as it is I think it is very solid and really nice addition to the Indy skyline.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #489
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
I think you're in the minority buddy.
That's what I say. I personally don't care WHAT the re-clad looked like. I work in that building and just want to feel safe.
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #490
Indywatch

Anyone notice that it too has "fins" like the new JW? If you get a chance look closely at the SW corner of the building. They point out to the west. A "fin" must be a new architectual detail of this millinium. I'll try to see if I can capture a picture and post this detail sometime in the future.
Indywatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #491
Indy Rock

I happen to like the corners on the north and south side of it. Looks like it pays homage to the previous design of this tower.
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #492
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the black stripes are actually a conceptual feature, a commemorative design element paying homage to the damaged section of the building. It's seems more than coincidental that the dark band is in exactly the same row as the storm-damaged area.

Just food for thought.
Old August 16th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #493
Indy Rock

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...ill+plod+along
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #494
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
"Neither new skin replaced the four-story marble columns that make up the building's base or, in architectural terms, foot. "It looks like a guy with a nice suit on who is wearing white tennis shoes," Mannheimer said."
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #495
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

The thing I find interesting about the base is not just the fact that it's leaves it as a total mismatch with the tower above it. It also leaves an untapped resource at ground level. If Maurer were smart, he'd redesign the whole base to extend to the sidewalk, increasing building square footage while creating street-front retail that he could rent, creating a new revenue stream for his building.
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #496
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Rumor has it that Regions Bank wants the lights on top to be green instead of blue.
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #497
Indywatch

I'm kindof surprised they didn't go with greenish tinted glass instead of blue if they now want green led lights. It's not gonna match the rest of the building. I don't think it matters that much however. There really isn't anything currently green in the way of lights on the downtown skyline now. It could add some nice color. Its gonna be a hard sell however. I think between tradition (the blue Indiana National Bank sign on original building, the blue stripe on the interim remodel) and the fact that this is COLTS town (blue), they will have a hard time getting the public to buy into it. The interim (previous) remodel had that blue stripe included just for that very reason.
Indywatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #498
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Rumor has it that Regions Bank wants the lights on top to be green instead of blue.
It would be nice to see some diversity in the lighting schemes downtown. The red, white, or blue lighting that adorns most buildings downtown is getting a bit tired and plays into the Midwest city stereotype of conformance and non-creativity.
k2h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #499
Indy Rock

Hey Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
It would be nice to see some diversity in the lighting schemes downtown. The red, white, or blue lighting that adorns most buildings downtown is getting a bit tired and plays into the Midwest city stereotype of conformance and non-creativity.
300 North Meridian has a nice "gold" lighting scheme going on.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #500
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Well they are done with the re-cladding and 26 pages of discussion in this thread! Just a few more pieces of equipment to remove from the 5th floor. Soon the North surface lot will open back up.

I think it looks nice. Now the real fun begins on the inside taking the old curtain out.

Tags
indianapolis