SkyscraperCity Forum banner

[PK] Pakistan | road infrastructure

494K views 990 replies 109 participants last post by  fpga123 
#1 · (Edited)
The National Highway Authority (NHA) is the premier road management and regulatory agency managing all national highways, motorways and strategic roads in Pakistan. National highways network consisting of 8,845 Km is 3.5 percent of the total road length in Pakistan and carries 75 % to 85 % of the total commercial traffic. The government has decided to gradually increase the present national average road density from 0.24Km/ sq.

National Highways

N-5 Karachi-Thatta-Hyderabad-Moro-Multan-Sahiwal-Lahore-Jhelum-Rawalpinid-Peshawar-Torkham (Grand Trunk Road) 1819 km
N-10 Lyari-Gwadar-Gabd (Makran Coastal Highway) 653 km
N-15 Mansehra-Naran-Jhalkhand 240 km
N-25 Karachi-Bela-Khuzdar-Kalat-Quetta-Chaman (RCD Highway) 813 km
N-35 Hasanabdal-Abbottabad-Thakot-Gilgit-Khunjerab (Karakoram Highway, KKH) 806 km
N-40 Lakpass-Nokundi-Taftan 610 km
N-45Nowhera-dir-Chitral 309 km
N-50 Kuchlac-Zhob-Dl Khan 531 km
N-55 Kotri-Shikarpur-DG Khan-Kohat-Peshawar (Indus Highway) 1264 km
N-65 Sukkar-Sibi-Saryab 385 km
N-70 Qilasaifullah-Loralai-DG Khan-Multan 447 km
N-75 Islamabad-Satra Mile-Lower Topa (Murree)- Kohala (Murree Expressway) 90 km
S-1 Jaglot (KKH)- Shangrial-Karachi-Skardu 167 km
S-2 Kohala-Muzaffarabad 40 km
Lahore - Sialkot Carriageway 101 km 6 Lanes Under Construction
Lahore - Faisalabad Carriageway

Motorways

M1 Peshawar-Islamabad 155 km 6 Lanes Under Construction
M2 Islambad-Pinidi Bhattian-Lahore 367 km 6 Lanes Completed
M3 Pinidi Bhattian - Faisalabad 53 km 6 Lanes Completed
M4 Faisalabad - Multan 243 km 4 Lanes Planned
M5 Multan - DG Khan 84 km 6 Lanes Planned
M6 DG Khan - Kakkar 467 km 2 Lanes Planned
M7 Kakkar - Karachi 280 km 2 Lanes Planned
M8 Ratodero - Gwadar 895 km 2 Lanes Under Construction
M9 Karachi-Hyderabad 136 km 4 Lanes Planned
M10 Karachi Northern Bypass 64 km 4,6 or 8 Lanes Planned

See less See more
#6 ·
Islamabad Link Road

Connects Islamabad and Rawalpindi to the M1 (to Peshawar) and M2 (to Lahore)

N5 Underpass

Driving Southbound towards Islamabad Toll

Driving Southbound towards Islamabad Toll

Peshawar/Burhan Distances from ILR

Approching Toll Plaza

Approching Toll Plaza

Here at last!

Getting my card; A magnetic strip card is issued with the car information + point of entry embedded in the magnetic strip. You pay nothing to get on to the motorway at this point.

Here's the card!

M1/M2 Interchange Ahead

Getting on the M2 to Lahore

#10 ·
You do indeed observe things closely (I missed the gaps)! I am not too familiar with the place, but it could be possible that the bridge is still under construction and those gaps would be filled later on. At least in Pakistan I've seen that happen on a few bridges. Or it could just haev been left like that, which is a bit irresponsible.

#18 ·
M1 (Islamabad - Peshawar) Motorway Video

Motorway starts 3 mins into the video. The guy (arsalanalf) who made this video is a member of SSC, at our forum Mehfil Pakistan.

Travelling to Islamabad from Peshawar on M1 (Bhahtar/Wah Cantt Interchange)

Exiting M1 onto N5

Back To Peshawar on M1

Travelling to Lahore on M2

A Rainy Day on the M2

Enjoy

#19 ·
Karakoram Highway

The Karakoram Highway (KKH) is the highest paved international road in the world.

It connects China and Pakistan across the Karakoram mountain range, through the Khunjerab Pass, at an altitude of 4,693 metres (15,397 feet). It connects China's Xinjiang region with Pakistan's Northern Areas and also serves as a popular tourist attraction.

History
The Karakoram Highway, also known as the Friendship Highway in China, was built by the governments of Pakistan and China, and was completed in 1986, after 20 years of construction. 810 Pakistani and 82 Chinese workers lost their lives,[1] mostly in landslides and falls, while building the highway. The route of the KKH traces one of the many paths of the ancient Silk Road.

On the Pakistani side, the road was constructed by FWO (Frontier Works Organization), employing the Pakistan Army Corps of Engineers. Presently, the Engineer-in-Chief branch of the Pakistani Army is working on a project documenting the history of the highway. It is being written by Brigadier (Retired) Muhammad Mumtaz Khalid, who oversaw its construction.

The Highway
The highway, connecting the Northern Areas of Pakistan to the ancient Silk Road, runs approximately 1,300 km from Kashgar, a city in the Xinjiang region of China, to Havelian, located in the Abbottabad District of Pakistan. An extension of the highway meets the Grand Trunk Road at Hasan Abdal, west of Islamabad, Pakistan.

The highway cuts through the collision zone between the Asian and Indian continents, where China, Tajikistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India come within 250km of each other. Owing largely to the extremely sensitive state of the Kashmir conflict between India and Pakistan, the Karakoram highway has strategic and military importance.

On June 30, 2006, a memorandum of understanding was signed between the Pakistani Highway Administration and China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission (SASAC) to rebuild and upgrade the KKH. According to SASAC, the width of the highway will be expanded from 10 meters to 30 meters, and its transport capacity will be increased three times. As well, the upgraded road will be constructed to particularly accommodate heavy-laden vehicles and extreme weather conditions.

China and Pakistan are also planning to link the Karakoram Highway to the southern port of Gwadar in Balochistan through the Chinese-aided Gwadar-Dalbandin railway, which extends up to Rawalpindi.

[edit] Towns
* Rawalpindi
* Hasanabdal
* Haripur
* Abbottabad
* Mansehra
* Shinkiari
* Batgram
* Basham
* Beshari
* Dasu
* Chilas
* Bunji
* Gilgit
* Denyor
* Chalt
* Nagar
* Karimabad
* Gulmit
* Passu
* Sost
* Khunjerab Pass
* Tashkurgan, China
* Ghez
* Upal
* Kashgar - Chinese railhead - 1435mm gauge.

On June 1, 2006, a daily bus service began between Gilgit, FANA, Pakistan and Kashghar, China, through the Sust and Tashkorgan border area.

#24 ·
trouble is mostly confined to tribal region with the border with afghanistan. The rest of the country is pretty much normal including all the touristic areas. Quite a number of people visit for high altitude climbing.

But it does give us a bad name as a whole :(.

#33 ·
Hmm, I think its some 1600 kms ( 1000miles). I have never travelled beyond faisalabad by road so i have no idea about the road conditions and how long it takes.

However some friends have done it. And here's what they told me.

1. from karachi to Multan takes roughly 13 hrs.
2. From multan there are two alternatives
- one is to travel from inner ( and less accessible) punjab which is
shorter but road quality is not good. takes another 9-10 hrs
- other alternate is to travel via sahiwal-lahore-pindi takes about 8-9 hrs
but distance is much longer.
3. That was a bit old. Now there is a motorway from Faisalabad to pindi bhattian(M3) which joins the lahore islamabad motorway(M2). Faisalabad however, doesnt fall in the shortest route but its a great and pleasurable road from faisalabad to islamabad. The distance might increase but driving time might be roughly same.

P.S above distances includes meals, rest, etc

So currently i would recon that journey to be around 20-22 hrs but my friends did it at a best of 18hrs ( two drivers and not much wasting time except for meals, etc)

And if you have no idea of the cities i mentioned or what the route would look like, have a look at this map.

Pindi bhattian is the point where the M2 joins the M3. So from karachi you follow the pink line upto multan and then those one of the three alternatives. The thick red line below of faisalabad is not finished yet hence the pink line which is the national highway.