daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #161
ychaman

Likes (Received): 261

Too bad I could not directly send feed back to the reporter. There is still much criticism carried out in this article even when some positive spin is being discussed. Indeed Pakistan does need some break from much of the media exposer which is unfortunately negative at most times.
Let Pakistan work its way through time....after all its only 63 years old and for a country that is like being a teen ager or even younger. Rest of the world has had there share of problems and many still continue to have them in to 21 century and most Pakistani problems are not our own anyway.....instead its paying the price of being and ally. I can assure you that there is more than 200some mile stretch of goodness in Pakistan.
For instance, Not many developing nation's have there judicial system challenging the sitting govt. and people sitting in TV studios men and women talking openly for and against any issues. Other than current spree of violence generally speaking the crime rate is low, people are indeed kind to each other, education is on the rise in every direction and first thing on any parents mind including remote tribal regions. Please read book called "Three cups of Tea".
ychaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #162
waqarpak

Likes (Received): 0

Gaps?

Hi. this project was under construction at the time of picture. Now it is completed and the gaps are filled with the roadside pillars. In the picture you can see the left side gap is already filled with the roadside light pillar.
Thanks
waqarpak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #163
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 21316

M2 Motorway Aerial

Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #164
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 8139

Lahore Ring Road. All photos by fellow Lahori forumers Strong Hearted and SeeandReport.

[IMG]http://i49.************/awqolz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/2w6rn7t.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.************/359wsol.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #165
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Thanks!

I'd recommend the Lahore Ring Road Thread to everyone. I'd read it all a few months ago, but it's very active, so I had some catching up to do.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #166
KB

Likes (Received): 6845

M-2 by [email protected]
image hosted on flickr

New Murree expressway
image hosted on flickr

en route to Gwadar by Imran [email protected]
image hosted on flickr
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #167
eyorky

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
M-2 by [email protected]
image hosted on flickr

New Murree expressway
image hosted on flickr

en route to Gwadar by Imran [email protected]
image hosted on flickr
KB Sahib along with some other guys you have done a great favour to the Pakistanis living abroad. A number of excellent Pics have been posted on this thread. Todays Pakistan is defenitly a 'NEW PAKISTAN'. Thank you guys and keep your work coming in. May Allah bless our Pakistan.
eyorky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #168
eyorky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intoxication View Post
WITNESS: Failed state? Try Pakistan's M2 motorway

Vehicles pass under the Faisalabad interchange bridge on the M2 motorway near Pindibhattian December 13, 2009.

By Alistair Scrutton

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - If you want a slice of peace and stability in a country with a reputation for violence and chaos, try Pakistan's M2 motorway.

At times foreign reporters need to a give a nation a rest from their instinctive cynicism. I feel like that with Pakistan each time I whizz along the M2 between Islamabad and Lahore, the only motorway I know that inspires me to write.

Now, if the M2 conjures images of bland, spotless tarmac interspersed with gas stations and fast food outlets, you would be right. But this is South Asia, land of potholes, reckless driving and the occasional invasion of livestock.

And this is Pakistan, for many a "failed state." Here, blandness can inspire almost heady optimism.

Built in the 1990s at a cost of around $1 billion, the 228-mile (367-km) motorway -- which continues to Peshawar as the M1 -- is like a six-lane highway to paradise in a country that usually makes headlines for suicide bombers, army offensives and political mayhem.

Indeed, for sheer spotlessness, efficiency and emptiness there is nothing like the M2 in the rest of South Asia.

It puts paid to what's on offer in Pakistan's traditional foe and emerging economic giant India, where village culture stubbornly refuses to cede to even the most modern motorways, making them battlegrounds of rickshaws, lorries and cows.

There are many things in Pakistan that don't get into the news. Daily life, for one. Pakistani hospitality to strangers, foreigners like myself included, is another. The M2 is another sign that all is not what it appears in Pakistan, that much lies hidden behind the bad news.

On a recent M2 trip, my driver whizzed along but kept his speedometer firmly placed on the speed limit. Here in this South Asian Alice's Wonderland, the special highway police are considered incorruptible.
The motorway is so empty one wonders if it really cuts through one of the region's most populated regions.

"130, OK, but 131 is a fine," said the driver, Noshad Khan. "The police have cameras," he added, almost proudly. His hand waved around in the car, clenched in the form of a gun.

On one of my first trips to Pakistan. I arrived at the border having just negotiated a one-lane country road in India with cows, rickshaws and donkey-driven carts.

I toted my luggage over to the Pakistan side, and within a short time my Pakistani taxi purred along the tarmac. The driver proudly showed off his English and played U.S. rock on FM radio. The announcer even had an American accent. Pakistan, for a moment, receded, and my M2 trip began.

Built in the 1990s by then prime minister Nawaz Sharif, it was part of his dream of a motorway that would unite Pakistan with Afghanistan and central Asia.

For supporters it shows the potential of Pakistan. Its detractors say it was a waste of money, a white elephant that was a grandiose plaything for Sharif.

But while his dreams for the motorway foundered along with many of Pakistan, somehow the Islamabad-Lahore stretch has survived assassinations, coups and bombs.

A relatively expensive toll means it is a motorway for the privileged. Poorer Pakistanis use the older trunk road nearby tracing an ancient route that once ran thousands of miles to eastern India. The road is shorter, busier and takes nearly an hour longer.

On my latest trip, I passed the lonely occasional worker in an orange suit sweeping the edge of the motorway in a seemingly Sisyphean task.

A fence keeps out the donkeys and horse-driven carts. Service centres are almost indistinguishable from any service station in the West, aside perhaps from the spotless mosques.

The real Pakistan can be seen from the car window, but in the distance. Colorful painted lorries still ply those roads. Dirt poor villagers toil in brick factories, farmers on donkey carts go about their business.

Of course, four hours of mundane travel is quite enough. Arriving in Lahore, the road suddenly turns into South Asia once again. Dust seeps through the open car window, endless honks sound, beggars knock on car windows. The driver begins again his daily, dangerous battle for road supremacy.

As Pakistan unveils itself in all its vibrancy, it is exciting to be back. But you can't help feel a tinge of regret at having experienced, briefly, a lost dream.

"Motorway good - but Pakistan," Noshad said at the last petrol station before we entered Lahore. "Terrorism, Rawalpindi," he added, referring to the latest militant attack on a mosque in the garrison town which killed dozens.

(Editing by Jerry Norton)

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5BF01220091216
Alistair, an excellent write up on Pakistan bro. Inshallah this contribution of yours will go a long way. It has certainly made my day. End of the day Pakistan is known as Third World country. But above few lines from yourselves will help people change mind about Pakistan. Well Done Sir.
I have lived in England for a while. So I always longed for Motorways or Autobhans in Pakistan. Well, we are geting there after all.
Thank you every one.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #169
Ashtonian

Likes (Received): 765

How is the M3 (Lahore to Multan?) going on? At what stage is it?
Ashtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:08 AM   #170
eyorky

M3 Pindi Bhatian-Faisalabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonian View Post
Ash..... just to let you know M3 takes you from Pindi Bhatian ( Jcn. with M2 )to Faisalabad which is up and running for some 3 years or so. M4 thus will then connect Faisalabad to Multan which is now under construction for some time. Although the ground breaking only took place last month by the Pakistani PM. Please visit the early pages of this thread which should clear up most of your qestions in your mind.
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #171
KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtonian View Post
M3 is between Faisalabad and Pindi Bhattian and was completed in 2004. Here are some pics.

if you meant M-4 instead (Faisalabad - Khanewal) then its in preliminary stages only. According to news reports from a few months ago, work is preparing to start on the first phase (it has total 4 phases) and contracts will be given to develop the phases simultaneously. But thats just the announcement so far, no beginning of actual work.

There is no motorway between lahore and multan being planned. Just the Faisalabad one will link to Khanewal (and later to multan when M-5 begins).
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #172
KB

More of the M-3 motorway

Old July 5th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #173
KB

I'm not sure of the location but looks like Hunza (or atleast near enough) that links Pakistan with China via the Karakorum mountain range

And a picture perfect road ( coastal highway)

Old July 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #174
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Is M8 already completed? I can't find any motorway-like road along M8's alignment.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #175
KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is M8 already completed? I can't find any motorway-like road along M8's alignment.
Nope, M8 is not completed.

Besides, it is initially going to be just 2 lanes (1+1) as it connects two very sparsely populated areas. Its mainly for carrying cargo from Gwadar to the main road network (indus highway and GT road aka N-5).
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #176
Aadil.Aijaz
Be careful. He bites.

Likes (Received): 1180

The coastal highway really looks awesome.
Aadil.Aijaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #177
eyorky

M3 Pindibhatian-Faisalabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
More of the M-3 motorway

K.B. Some beautiful Pics you have posted bro. At least I had not yet seen this set of photographs. You boys are doing a great job by posting such exclusive Pics and keep the Expat Pakistanis well informed. You know we Pakistanis are proud of this infrastructure. After visiting this thread I Know for fact that there are loads of guys in Pakistan who love to participate in such Forums. Keep up the good work guys and God bless you all.
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #178
Strong Hearted
Un-registered User

Likes (Received): 4876

Lahore-Kasur Highway

Source : HCS
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:09 AM   #179
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12282

This is a thread about Highways. Got it? Highways. Not religion, and not politics, and not squabbling with neighbours. Next politicization of this thread will lead to even more infractions being issued.
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #180
Strong Hearted
Un-registered User

Likes (Received): 4876

edit!

Last edited by Strong Hearted; August 9th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Strong Hearted no está en línea   Reply With Quote