daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:19 PM   #81
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32132

National Route 55 between Bogota and Tunja

photo by unknown author
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:22 PM   #82
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Route 90 between Barranquilla and Cienaga

photo by unknown author
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:27 PM   #83
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Route 25 / Panamerican Highway between Cerritos and Cartago

photo by unknown author
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #84
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Routes 25 / Panamerican Highway between Bello and El Hatillo (just north of Medellin)

photo by INVIAS

photo by INVIAS

photo by INVIAS

Last edited by JuanPaulo; June 26th, 2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #85
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Route 65 / Jungle Belt-Road between Fuente de Oro and Rincon Bolivar

photo by Rafael Arjona
Old June 26th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #86
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Route 54 between La Vega and Villeta (West of Bogota)

photo by INVIAS

photo by INVIAS

Last edited by JuanPaulo; June 27th, 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #87
Rojas Pinilla
You Can Have It All - Yes

Likes (Received): 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
National Route 55 between Bogota and Tunja

photo by unknown author
The Best of Colombia

Never really know, until you try. ¡¡¡ PRADERA Y COLINA !!!

>> GUÍA TURÍSTICA de TUNJA en ALTA CALIDAD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B98...RKeldLMkU/view
Rojas Pinilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #88
MetroMEX
viajes, transportes y +

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
National Route 50 / Panamerican Highway between Villeta and Guaduas (West of Bogota)

I'm almost certain that the pictures in this post belong to the La Vega-Villeta section of Highway 54 (also known as Autopista Bogotá-Medellín, not belonging to the Panamericana), which is "2+2". On the other hand, the highway between Villeta and Guaduas is a 2-lane highway with lots of curves and very steep; I've travelled this road a couple of years ago when I went to Santa Marta.

Cheers.
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #89
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

The description of the photos on the INVIAS website says "Vía Villeta-Honda" so when I looked on the map of Cundinamarca (provided by INVIAS) the only road connecting these two towns is National Route 50. Similarly, if I look for the road connecting these two towns on google earth, I only find one road labeled as "Panamericana". I assumed because of the slope of the terrain, the pictures must have been taken between Villeta and Guaduas - this last town being approximately half way between Villeta and Honda. Hence my description.

Note that going from west to east, the Panamerican Highway (per google earth) splits in two at Villeta (a north and a south route to Bogota). The north route (National Route 50 per INVIAS map) is labeled as "Autopista Bogota-Medellin" on google earth. Similarly, the south route (no label on the INVIAS map) is labeled "Panamericana" on google earth. The town of La Vega is east of Villeta via the north route (National Rote 50 per INVIAS and Autopista Bogota-Medellin per google earth).

In other words National Route 50 from Honda to Villeta (passing Guaduas) is both the Panamericana and the Autopista Bogota-Medellin. From Villeta to Bogota, the north route passing through La Vega (still National Route 50) is the Autopista Bogota-Medellin. Finally, From Villeta to Bogota, the south route (unlabeled route number) is the Panamericana. I am basing my labeling on the INVIAS maps and google earth, but they could be wrong or outdated

Last edited by JuanPaulo; June 26th, 2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old June 26th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #90
MetroMEX
viajes, transportes y +

Likes (Received): 92

I see... I located the photo section of the INVIAS website, and I located another picture labeled "Villeta - Honda":

By MetroMEX at 2010-06-25

In case that the photograph does not appear, I'll describe the scene: there's a road sign labeled "La Vega / Nocaima"; this junction is actually located halfway between Villeta and La Vega. Therefore, as I suspected, INVIAS mislabeled the pictures assigning the wrong section of the Bogotá-Honda highway; they should actually read "La Vega - Villeta".

Regarding the numbering system, I also noticed that the Cundinamarca map labels the northern branch of the Bogotá - Villeta highway as route 50. Actually the number belongs to the southern branch (the original Panamericana, which goes through Facatativá); the northern branch should be route 54 (I have a map that confirms this).

Unfortunately, in many Colombian maps, even the official ones are a little bit unnacurate concerning the numbering system because in common use the highways are referred by destination and not by number. In addition, many commercial maps do not display the official number.

In any case, this highway is very important for the country because is the main link between the capital city and other regions such as the Eje Cafetero, the North Coast and Medellín. I really appreciate your effort in showing the forumers many South American roads.

¡Saludos!
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #91
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Thank you MetroMex! I will change the description from National Route 50 to National Route 54. It makes sense that the Panamerican Highway be National Route 50 since that is its designation in other segments. I usually go by google earth but I know for a fact that their route numbers for Ecuador and Peru are totally outdated. I did not think that the official maps by the government agencies would be wrong though. Good catch on your part.

I have seen more routes signed with their numbers lately, specially in Ecuador and Colombia. You can see a sign for National Route 25 on the first picture I posted of the segment between Bello and El Hatillo. Hopefully the sign more routes appropriately.
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #92
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Route 40 (Llanos Freeway) between Bogota and Villavicencio

photo by unknown author

photo by Rockatronic
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #93
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Route 65 / Jungle Belt-Road between Rincon Bolivar and Puerto Limon

photo by Hector Usme
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #94
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

A Panamerican Highway Shield in Colombia

Old June 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #95
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrimm View Post
Yes but just becuase some can afford the tolls doesn't make it ok to pollute (CO). even with enforced auto emissions standards more cars still = more carbon monoxide, and more congestion and those looking for a better way of getting around are hooped. The options should be

a) eight-hour drives
b) 3 hour train-ride
c) 1 hour flight

Efficient, accessible, and environmentally clean transit (ie high speed trains) should be positioned as easiest, fastest, and most popular choice to push a change in direction away from car-culture before it is too late.
High speed trains don't haul cargo, don't provide a backbone network for moving goods and are links to points A, B and C where you have stations. They cost a hell of money to be built too, especially in mountainous regions.

Freeways improve the flow of people and goods all along the way. It makes easier to expand the catchment area for a shopping mall, it makes feasible to relocate factories far, far outside major population centers to where land is cheap and easy to build and so.

NO developed country (not a single one) in Europe, North America or Oceania moves majority of its population or cargo by rails (and, no, I don't consider small city-states like Hong Kong or Singapore as viable models for whole countries like Colombia). Not even here in Europe. Not even in beloved train-free-spending-dig-everywhere Switzerland.

So Colombia is doing the right thing. You don't build a 200km freeway for people to commute daily, you build them to create axis of economic activity.

As for pollution generated by cars and trucks, if they are old and do not abide to regulations, then improve enforcement! Otherwise, it would be like saying that some Andean countries should torn down their buildings and put population in primitive huts because they can't enforce 100% seismic-building legislation everywhere, i.e., non-sense.

Then, sooner or later we will have electric cars, hydrogen-cell trucks and who knows what more. The flexibility and ripple effect of road construction and of car-based transportation is not in the Otto-cycle engines or so, but in the fact that a car is independent, 100% flexible, no setup time, easily re-routable, fully compatible with other cars in the road or so...

So if Colombia is aiming to become a more developed country, it should indeed focus on roads, not trains, let alone cash-guzzler high-speed trains running through the "sierras" in multi-billion tunnel projects. It is quite established in the scientific literature of spatial economy that, after electricity and telecommunications, a decent road network is the most important factor to, everything else kept equal, proper economic growth and economic diversification and integration in markets to almost every region.

Aireos liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:16 AM   #96
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Route 25 / Panamerican Highway between Tuluá and Bugalagrande

photo by unknown author
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:29 AM   #97
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

National Route 50 / Panamerican Highway between Manizales and Bogota

photo by unknown author

photo by unknown author
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #98
Highest Bridges

Likes (Received): 25

100 Dollars for Colombia's Highest Bridge

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for a bridge in a remote part of Colombia that is reported to be over 200 meters high as measured from the deck to the water. This would make it the highest bridge span in South or Central America. The information was given to me by a major bungee jump equipment supplier in Pennsylvania who was there about 10 years ago.

Since I have reached so many frustrating dead ends with neither Colombian bridge engineers nor any posts on the internet knowing of such a span, I will pay 100 dollars to anyone who can come up with a location, name or images of this bridge span that I will then include on my website www.HighestBridges.com.

The information from the bungee jumper and equipment supplier from Pennsylvania was as follows:

"The bridge in Colombia was 216 meters / 710 feet to the water. The locals reported that the water was almost at peak depth. During dry periods, the water level could drop as much as 50 ft. The bridge is extremely remote - around 100 miles up into the Andes Mountains. The closest populated town might have been 75 miles from there. It's very close to mountain coca fields in a drug cartel area.

The bridge was funded by the U.S. government along with a police station to help the Federales fight and gain access to coca growers but was abandoned after the police station was assaulted by the guerrillas who murdered the Feds and the area was never manned again. I never knew the name of the bridge nor could I ever find it without a guide.

We were actually visited on the bridge by two guerrillas in military fatigues with automatic assault weapons the day that photo was taken. They were obviously watching us from a hidden location in the hills. When they approached, they wanted to be sure we were jumping and not law officers posing as jumpers. They demanded that everyone in our group perform a jump as they waited and watched. Once convinced that we were indeed crazy bungee jumpers, we were left to do our business in peace. I can't say exactly where the 700 footer is. It was well into the mountains, probably three or four hours drive west or east of Bogota. Several times we had to cut through vegetation on the abandoned dirt road. I've lost contact with the Colombian crew we jumped with."

The Pennsylvania jumper also told me he recalls the bridge was likely a concrete beam bridge with a span of around 100 meters over a very deep chasm. Of the more then 400 bridges in the world I have discovered, this one has become the most elusive and difficult to find - almost like a legendary lost city of gold. If any bridge fans in Colombia can find this span, it is sure to become the bridge find of the year and will earn its place among the world's 50 highest bridges. If the bridge exists, I would finally come down to Colombia to see for myself one of the world's more dangerous bridge spans.

Thanks,

Eric Sakowski
www.HighestBridges.com

Colombia's Highest Bridges
http://www.highestbridges.com/wiki/i...es_in_Colombia

You can reach me at [email protected]

The Search is on!
Highest Bridges no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM   #99
MACTMEISTER
Siempre adelante

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
National Route 50 / Panamerican Highway between Manizales and Bogota

photo by unknown author

photo by unknown author
Awesome pics with the Nevado del Ruiz.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:20 AM   #100
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Is this a Volcano that erupted a while ago, melted a lot of snow and buried 2 cities under mud (killing thousands in the process)? I saw a documentary, but I'm not sure if it was exactly this volcano.

Tags
colombia